The Goldshire Khanflict: A QUARREL Test War

It began as a "Khanflict" (complete with its own lexicon of dreadful puns) over the fate of Goldshire. The Gods however mock the efforts of puny mortals to construct a coherent narrative, and so it has become instead a struggle for the very soul of Shireroth itself, between on the one hand the loyalist forces of Kaiser Aurangzeb and on the other the Coalition (or Confederated Subdivision Alliance... if you really must...) who keenly anticipate the emergence of a Kaiser Leto III.

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Scott of Hyperborea

The Goldshire Khanflict: A QUARREL Test War

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Welcome, and thank you for participating in this test war. The Khanflict will be fought mostly using the Anunia rules you all know and love, except that OrBat design and combat will take place using the new QUARREL system and the ATTILA battle calculator.

You may want to stop to read the QUARREL Manual now. Or you might want to ignore it and just plunge right in. Either is okay.

When a battle starts, instead of just making up what the casualties should be, or arguing about it until kingdom come, plug the compositions of your respective forces into the ATTILA battle calculator and let it tell you the results. Don't bother fudging the numbers - ATTILA records the results of each battle on a publicly accessible log. If covert operations are more your thing, you can try using the ATTILA SpecOps Calculator, although I make no guarantees. Missile and submarine calculators aren't available yet, so you'll have to handle those the old fashioned way.

I'll be the judge for this war. Harvey and Andreas are also working on the QUARREL project, and they can judge stuff too. We might or might not decide to fight in the war depending on how much time we have and how well things are going.

This is a FRIENDLY, RECREATIONAL recwar. By order of the Duke of Brookshire, no territory will change hands at the end. If Brookshire is winning, we will let them win. If Elwynn is winning, I have a macguffin up my sleeve to ensure the plot complies with the predetermined results (though Elwynn will, of course, keep bragging rights).

As per normal Anunia rules, a new party may join the conflict if invited by a current participant. Elwynn may want to find some allies; I'm sure it won't have to look very far.

The current sides are:

BROOKSHIRE, Antica, Yardistan
ELWYNN

I've added secret planning subforums for both sides. If you're on a side and you can't access the secret planning subforum, PM me and I'll take care of it eventually.

Aurangzeb Khan

Re: The Goldshire Khanflict: A QUARREL Test War

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

1. As this war will not change the territorial situation on the ground it will not end the current conflict between Elwynn and Brookshire for control of Goldshire, it will merely form a significant phase of the narrative concerning it;
2. Accordingly Elwynn considers this campaign to be a part of its overall strategy of using proxy forces to “liberate” Goldshire (Google the “Nicaraguan Contras” if you are having any difficulty with this concept);
3. Therefore “Elwynnese” forces operating in Goldshire will be known collectively as the Goldshire Restoration Forces and the “Zarathustras” and or “Zaryistas” after the last notable Duke of Goldshire.
4. The starting points for the Zaryistas will be as follows:
a. Demonsfall, Holwinn - were an armed Babki caravan has taken over the town in support of the Committee of Public Safety which has usurped control of Holwinn;
b. Diarsanta, Goldendown - were partisans of the Count of Goldendown are in uproar at his recent ousting by the Duke
c. Syrelwynn, Syrelwynn - where the local authorities have been won over by a smooth talking zombie (seriously...)
d. There are also religious fanatics in Asantelian but these are not presumed to be in control of any particular locale.
5. Elwynn and the Ancestral Baronies of Brookshire (Dolor, K'Tzuni & Lakhesis) will be out of bounds except save perhaps for the basing of air assets and supply lines. Air strikes and Special Forces operations against bases involved in logistical supply or hosting air units either supporting the revolt or engaged in counter-insurgency operations.
a. Significant incursions will be either rebuffed or become part of a separate campaign outside of Goldshire handled by SCOWL units;
6. The first Elwynnese backed incursions began in 3719 ASC, giving to this point in time a six year lead into the outbreak of the insurgency and the advent of the rebel armies;
7. For narrative convenience’s sake the war will occur in the year 3727 ASC (corresponding to Monday 19 Oct 09) and then, using the monthly calendar shall commence from 23 Arisday Anandjan (or whenever it actually does commence);
8. The above points relate the position of the Duchy of Elwynn in relation to this undertaking. While we are willing to accept in the spirit of friendship any proposal which refines or improves what we have set forth, the outright rejection of any point by the Duchy of Brookshire will terminate Elwynnese cooperation in this exercise.

The conflict therefore becomes one between the Zaryistas & the Guild of Naristors led by Erik. I suggest whoever joins this war gets inducted into one or the other.

Scott of Hyperborea

Erm...I was thinking everyone would play themselves, or someone close to that. For example, you would be the Khan, leading Elwynnese forces trying to invade Goldshire, the Anticans would be Antican military leaders who had been called in or bribed or whatever to defend it, the Yardistanis would be Yardistanis allied with Brookshire, and so on.

I'm not sure what advantage it would be for us to all pretend to be various people from Goldshire, except to confuse foreigners who don't know the local situation, require extra creativity that some people don't have to spare, and make the war too small and guerrilla-based to be properly represented.

I would also support the possibility of attacks on Elwynn or Brookshire proper (if someone can make it there). Why not add a bit breadth and depth?

I'll probably be on chat tonight at the usual time if you want to discuss this.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

They can all still be characters based off their respective nationalities (brought in as mercenaries or advisers or whatever) but what I proposed is in line with the thwarted Elwynnese intentions and therefore consistent with the overall narrative.

As for being too small and guerilla based I should note that the Spanish Civil War was fought on a large scale using modern weaponry, conventional tactics (the reason the Republicans lost btw) and significant foreign contingents (the German Pocket Battleship Deutschland even got involved).

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

If that's the way it's gonna be, I will withdraw my support for this conflict. There are other avenues I can use to secure the safety of all of Brookshire. I just thought this would be a fun way to test QUARREL and get a bit of activity.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Pft, and they say I like to storm of out debates. Calm down. Nothing has been decided yet.

Anyway, war doesn't need support to come knocking on your doorstep. Lots of people are involved now, and besides, QUARREL needs a good test anyway. We're doin' this, man. We're making this happen.

Scott of Hyperborea

If they put some work into funding and bribes, I find it plausible Elwynn could have gotten a few of the less scrupulous people in Goldshire, or some of the lesser nobles who got passed up for promotion by Brookshire, to support their revolt. And I wouldn't put it past Ardashirshahr to sneak some Elwynnese in and tell them to pass themselves off as Goldshirerithians.

As judge, I'm going to deny the existence of any large, strategically significant forces in Goldshire not represented by an actual person in this war. I'll permit anyone to claim any reasonable force they want: whether it's a force of Anticans, a force of mercenaries, a force of Goldshirerithian guerrillas, or whatever. However, canon is going to be that the large majority of people in Goldshire who are neither in Ardy's pay nor have some sort of personal grudge against Malliki are either pro-Brookshire, pro-Harvey, or just want everyone to go away and leave them alone. Any posts claiming a secret pro-Elwynn silent majority in Goldshire will be taken as propaganda only.

If a few of the Elwynnese players want to play as the odd Goldshirerithian in Elwynn's pay, that's fine, but I'd discourage everyone from doing it.

Malliki, Khan, is that acceptable?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I don't like ultimatums when my particpation is needed. If the Elwynnese accepts the basic ground rules that Scott explained just now, we're in.

Also, from now on, the Brookshire side will refer to this area as the "Baronies of Ynnraile and Neurak".
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I don't have time for this.

And why aren't we calling it Goldshire?

Oh.. and Shireroth uses SCOWL now. Which we haven't tested either.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

The Elwynnese are trying to assign the area some sort of collective identity based on ancient history. There is no place called Goldshire, therefore there are no Goldshirians.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Scott of Hyperborea

Harvey, please kindly come here and slap Duke Tosha on the head with a herring.

:fish

Yes, like that.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I find the Elywnnese claim to the area extremely dubious and weak, at best, but there was definitely a large, independent duchy named Goldshire with a long, if somewhat tame and quiet, history and culture. As the former Duke of Goldshire, who was also a Kaiser for several days, that probably ties my Shireroth persona to the area pretty heavily.

:fish Consider yourself herring'd.

Allot

Post by Allot »

Harvey Steffke wrote:I find the Elywnnese claim to the area extremely dubious and weak, at best, but there was definitely a large, independent duchy named Goldshire with a long, if somewhat tame and quiet, history and culture.
Of course it's dubious, what kind of crazy person would accept a claim entitled : "We think it should be ours"?

We make no claim that we have the right to Goldshire, the Khan merely made a valid point regarding its history.

Nevertheless, I still believe that our mandate for Goldshire/Ynnraile is
1. We think it should be ours and
2. They don't use, so why can't we?
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Allot wrote:
Harvey Steffke wrote:I find the Elywnnese claim to the area extremely dubious and weak, at best, but there was definitely a large, independent duchy named Goldshire with a long, if somewhat tame and quiet, history and culture.
Of course it's dubious, what kind of crazy person would accept a claim entitled : "We think it should be ours"?

We make no claim that we have the right to Goldshire, the Khan merely made a valid point regarding its history.

Nevertheless, I still believe that our mandate for Goldshire/Ynnraile is
1. We think it should be ours and
2. They don't use, so why can't we?
Because it's ours. And Scott, you know what I mean. Goldshire doesn't exist anymore.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Yes it does. Historically, that name describes all those lands. And there is still the position of Marquess of Goldshire, you know. the job you made up and gave to me for a long time back when I was actually in charge of the Kehl.

And I think *I* was the one that started to call it Goldshire, to help with our claim on the area. All those lands WERE Goldshire, and Goldshire was merged into Brookshire long ago, being the two eldest duchies. It made sense to merge them for historical and political reasons.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

No shit?
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

*can't get a reading on his Sarcaso-Meter*

Yes.. Indeed. No fecal matter.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

If they put some work into funding and bribes, I find it plausible Elwynn could have gotten a few of the less scrupulous people in Goldshire, or some of the lesser nobles who got passed up for promotion by Brookshire, to support their revolt. And I wouldn't put it past Ardashirshahr to sneak some Elwynnese in and tell them to pass themselves off as Goldshirerithians.
Right, fine and dandy. Backstories where relevant will reflect this angle.

Additional points:

1. It would seem that over time the bulk of activity in Ynnraile (subsequent to the reign of Totally-Not-Scott) consists of Elwynnese incursions, flag raisings, petty aggression etc. From an Elwynnese perspective its like an open door inviting a gentle meander down to the newly revived Goldshirian gold mines. Brookshire's de jure control is quaintly interesting but not strictly relevant unless backed by force (hence the war);
2. Our forces in the region will be fronted by disgruntled, passed over, bribed or wilfully eccentric Goldshirians, but bulked out as a force by Elwynnbrigaden troopers who have an abrupt change of uniform and insignias at the Frontier (a bit like the time the Syrians painted their tanks up in Palestinian Liberation Army markings before crossing the border into Jordan during the events of Black September);
3. The absence of a large body of pro-Elwynnese popular sentiment is plausible as is the three way split of the majority between factions that are pro-nativist (Harvey), pro-Brookshirian and pro-wait & see. The tendency therefore on our part will be to imply base motives when dealing with the activities of fifth-columnists on our behalf.

Scott of Hyperborea

Sounds good. Start your invasion any time now - I think we're waiting on you, since backstory-wise you've got to be the one to light this powderkeg.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Sure. I'm just going to go bask in the gloriousness of your backstory post down in Straylight for a bit then I'll get on with it.

Return to “Khan's Total War (War of the First Coalition)”