Draft Guidelines: Impersonal Arms and their Privileges

Moderators: Shyriath, Kaiser Fish XII

Shyriath

Draft Guidelines: Impersonal Arms and their Privileges

Post by Shyriath »

Pursuant to finally getting around to designing some arms, particularly the ones for the Landsraad and the Praetor as requested, some standards for heraldic attachments and privileges will have to be developed. For individuals, considering how often someone in Shireroth might change position or feudal rank, that may be a little complicated without redesigning arms every five minutes; but impersonal arms can be more safely contemplated.

By impersonal arms, I mean those associated with institutions and offices rather than people. For example, the arms of a Ministry would not be the same as those of its Minister (though sharing elements in common would not be a bad idea), those of a Duchy not the same as its Duke (ditto).

A basis can be established by dividing up these arms into categories, which should have shared characteristics. For example: The Kaisership should have an associated theme, with the same theme being shared by those offices directly dependent on the Kaiser (i.e., the Ministries); the Landsraad, likewise, would have a theme, shared by the office of the Praetor (and the Judex? That was created by Landsraad law, right?); and the subdivisions should have their own theme, or set of related themes.

I'll keep batting ideas around, but it's getting late for now.

Return to “Chroniclers of Arms”