“Come to the Exploding Centre at Midnight. Tell no one.”

Test stuff, from signatures to avatars to code, here
Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

You found this cryptic note in a library book you had reserved the previous week. It was lying casually between two pages, as if a forgotten bookmark. But it has your name on the front, and beneath the single line message is a faint drawing of a sun. The implication seems obvious. This is a note from SHINE. Or someone masquerading as SHINE. If it is from SHINE, telling someone would be a bad idea. If it isn’t, telling someone might just keep you alive.

You mull over this all day, and decide, in the end, that it probably is SHINE. After all, they would have heard of your role in the discovery of the treasure of the Pirate Tgaoth; and in avoiding the oncoming Atterockian apocalypse. They must require your services. It’s the only logical explanation. Still, the gold from the hoard of Pirate Tgaoth hasn’t quite run out, and you decide to use a bit of what’s left to purchase one of the experimental ANOVA shields, which better be worth their weight in gold, because they cost it. The salesperson assured you that the amulet you now wear will protect you from any bullets or other fast moving objects, but you weren’t game to test it. You’ll just have to trust it for tonight.

You make your way to the Exploding Centre, arriving a couple minutes before midnight. No one is there, not even the odd devout B00/\/\ist. But you do find, lying on the ground, as if discarded, an article from the foreign newspaper, the INS. It seems to be one of their rare articles on Shireroth, by the standard Shirithian correspondent, Andreas the Wise.

“Follow the supplement?” you read to yourself. “INS articles don’t have supplements ...”
And below that, a string of handwritten numbers. You have no idea what either means. Supplement? Where on Micras would you find an INS supplement?
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Andreas the Wise

Re: “Come to the Exploding Centre at Midnight. Tell no one.”

So, boys and girls, this is the long awaited heavily hinted overly foreshadowed Third Shirithian Scavenger Hunt. All the secrets of the JASO Auction can be yours if you're just intelligent enough to follow the series of clues* ...

I was originally planning to get Scott to post this, but by now three quarters of Shireroth knows I'm involved, so I might as well post it.

Now, off with you - SHINE needs you!

OR DO THEY?
:shifty

*Of which 98.2% are currently in place, and believe me, I'll know when you need the remaining 1.8%, which should be in place by then anyway.
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

rot13ed: http://www.rot13.com/index.php

Svefg: jrag gb VAF, fnj gur fhccyrzrag cbfgrq va gur pbzzragf. Frrzrq fbegn zrnavatyrff.

Fhccyrzrag:
Guvf whfg va – Yrb Qvar, ba orunys bs gur VFV, unf bssvpvnyyl chyyrq bhg bs gur nhpgvba, pvgvat svanapvny ernfbaf. Ur ershfrq gb gnyx gb wbheanyvfgf ba guvf znggre, yrnqvat fbzr gb oryvrir gurer jnf zber ng fgnxr guna zrer zbarl

Gevrq gb qrpbqr ahzoref. Fgnegrq gelvat gb qrpbqr ivn fvzcyr N=1 pvcure. Fgnegrq jvgu "ZNN NRO OSO", nffhzrq V jnf ba gur jebat genpx. Pvcure vf va gevcyrgf; svefg ahzore vf orgjrra 1 naq 24, frpbaq vf orgjrra 1 naq 11, guveq vf orgjrra 1 naq 7.

Ybbxf yvxr n obbx pvcure, ohg jung obbx? Gur guerr ahzoref pbhyq or yvar, jbeq, yrggre, ohg gur fhccyrzrag qbrfa'g unir gjragl-sbhe yvarf...bbbu, ohg gur bevtvany negvpyr unf gjragl-svir, juvpu vf fhfcvpvbhfyl pybfr.

Tbg vg. Cynvagrkg vf: GUR TUBFG CEBTENZ VF NPGVIR NTNVA. FUVAR.

Bxnl. Abj V unir gur fhccyrzrag naq gur pvcure, naq V fgvyy qba'g xabj jurer gb tb arkg. Tubfg cebtenz. Vf gung fbzr byq WNFB cebtenz be fbzrguvat?

*frnepu gur Fuverebgu sbehz sbe 'TUBFG Cebtenz' gb frr vs gurer ner nal ersreraprf gb vg* ...bu qrne. V guvax V whfg svtherq bhg ubj gb unpx guvf naq nyy shgher fpniratre uhagf. Bxnl. Nal ersreraprf gb vg gung *nera'g* Naqernf'f arkg srj pyhrf gb guvf fpniratre uhag?

Bu, urer'f Onlra gnyxvat nobhg n guveq fpniratre uhag. GURER JNF N GUVEQ FPNIRATRE UHAG? ...bxnl. Naljnl, gur bayl pyhr vg tvirf vf gung vg'f nffbpvngrq jvgu WNFB, juvpu znxrf frafr, ohg gurer ner ab pyhrf va gur WNFB sbehz (gbb rnfl?). Naq bu, lrnu! Tert'f fgbel! Ohg abguvat va ZNFF.

Svar, gura. Sbetrg gung. Sbyybj gur fhccyrzrag. Abguvat ba Yrb'f chyyvat bhg guernq va gur nhpgvba. Abguvat va gur VFV sbehz. Abguvat va Yrb'f onebal. Ab uvqqra yvaxf va gur fhccyrzrag vgfrys.

Hu...va Lneqvfgna, gunaxf gb Wbanf, gur "ivfvgvat Lneqvfgna" cbfg vf irel boivbhf. Vf guvf fhccbfrq gb or gur arkg bar, orpnhfr Tzna vf gur thl jub jebgr nobhg gur Tubfg Cebtenz, naq ur'f Qhxr bs Lneqvfgna?

...znlor V orggre jnvg sbe Naqernf gb pbasvez be qvfpbasvez gung, fb V'z abg nyy bhg bs beqre.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Ba n zvabe abgr

Pnqjny vf abg n Onoxuna (Snefv) Fheanzr... punenpgref jvgu aba-Onoxuna anzrf ner abg Onoxuna...

Bhg bs ynmvarff V nz erplpyvat bofpher Oevgba naq Fnkba anzrf sbe Ryj punenpgref ohg vg qbrf arrq gb or erfgngrq gung gur Ryj ner abg Onoxv... naq ol rkgrafvba Phqtryyref qb abg jrne gheonaf...

V ubcr guvf urycf jvgu shgher fgrerbglcvat

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I'm normally too impatient to spend the time puzzling clues for this sort of thing, but I'm giving it a shot.

Got the numbers done but not sure what to do with the result.

Andreas the Wise

Ng Uneirl naq Fpbgg, V'yy tvir lbh gjb uvagf.

1. Gurer ner gjb qverpgvbaf gb tb sebz gur fgneg bs gur uhag. Lbh jvyy arrq gb chefhr obgu bs gurz riraghnyyl.

2. Lbh znl arrq gb gnyx gb fbzrbar (be zber guna bar), yvxr V unq gb gnyx gb Ovyy.

Naq gur ivfvgvat Lneqvfgna cbfg vfa'g gur svefg cbfg va gur TUBFG frdhrapr. Jul jbhyq lbh xabj TUBFG jrer va Lneqvfgna?

RQVG: Bu, naq Fpbgg, oryvrir zr, V'ir hfrq gung gb unpx gur uhagf orsber. Yhpxvyl fbzr bs gur cbfgf nera'g ba gur Fuvevguvna sbehz/jrera'g ol zr.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

V qvqa'g tb gb Lneqvfgna. V qvqa'g tb naljurer. V qvqa'g unir nal vqrn nobhg jung lbh jrer gnyxvat nobhg hagvy V ebg13'q Fpbgg'f cbfg naq sbhaq gung ur jnf nobhg ba nobhg gur fnzr fgrc nf zr.

Gur bayl guvat V unir svtherq bhg vf gur fgevat bs ahzoref naq gur fhccyrzrag bs gur VFV (qrfcvgr gur snpg gung gur gernfher uhag fnlf VFV qbrfa'g unir fhccyrzragf?)

TUBFG qbrfa'g evat nal oryyf ng nyy, fb gung'f cerggl zhpu n qrnq raq (fubeg bs purngvat jvgu frnepurf). V qba'g unir npprff gb nal FUVAR-eryngrq sbehzf fb (ubcrshyyl) gung'f abg arprffnel.

"Sbyybjvat gur fhccyrzrag" qbrfa'g frrz gb znxr nal frafr rvgure; Yrb unfa'g fnvq nalguvat eryrinag gung V pna frr naq gurer'f ab npgvivgl ng gur nhpgvba nobhg gur gernfher uhag (gubhtu gur nhpgvba vgfrys vf, vaqrrq, dhvgr yviryl).

V unir rffragvnyyl ab yrnqf ng guvf cbvag, naq gur ybatre gvzr tbrf, gur zber yvxryl V nz gb whfg ohzc vagb fbzrguvat ba nppvqrag. V'z abg nfxvat sbe pyhrf be uryc be nalguvat; whfg fnlva'. Bu jryy, V tnir vg n gel. V'z abg irel tbbq ng gurfr. V thrff V'yy whfg jnvg sbe fbzrbar gb tvir gur jubyr fgbel riraghnyyl.

V ERNYYL zbfgyl whfg ubcr gung V'z orvat qrafr naq gurer vfa'g fbzr xabjyrqtr erdhverq sebz rvgure gur bgure gjb uhagf gung jbhyq pyrne guvf hc. V'q ernyyl srry purngrq gura.

Andreas the Wise

Clues explained explicitly. Don't read if you don't want to know.

1. Unir lbh gevrq gnyxvat gb Yrb?

2. Tubfg vf sebz bar bs Tzna'f fgbevrf. Jbex bhg jurer gurl pnzr sebz, naq ybbx sbe gurz gurer ...

It's not history from the prior treasure hunts so much as general history. Scotts had me researching old Audentior and Antican trials, so I figured I was allowed a little history.

Take heart! The first two clues are the hardest! From then on it gets far, far easier (because I ran out of creativity ... :fish )
Q - Director of SAMIN

Scott of Hyperborea

Obgurerq Yrb, ur gbyq zr gb svaq fbzrguvat nobhg Tbybav. Guvf ghearq bhg gb or n TFB erpjne sebz Mvaqnevn. Jrag gb Mvaqnevn naq sbhaq:

uggc://mvaqnevn.lhxh.pbz/gbcvp/443/g/Jub-pbzrf-sebz-Tbybav.ugzy

Fnlf gb svaq n Abina ohfvarffzna, fb jrag gb Abin naq sbhaq:

uggc://jjj.abingnvavn.bet/cucOO3/ivrjgbcvp.cuc?s=182&g=1650

Juvpu yrq zr cerggl qverpgyl gb Tenyna Ebor (jvgu n oevrs ohg sehvgyrff fgbcbire va Abina Ebor) jurer V sbhaq:

uggc://jjj.abingnvavn.bet/Tenyhf/cucOO3/ivrjgbcvp.cuc?s=152&g=526

Juvpu whfg qverpgrq zr gb nabgure Tenyna sbehz, jurer V sbhaq:

uggc://jjj.abingnvavn.bet/Tenyhf/cucOO3/ivrjgbcvp.cuc?s=235&g=525

...jurer gur genvy fgbccrq. Ubcvat V qba'g unir gb obgure Yrb ntnva.

V qrpvqrq gb gel gur bgure oenapu sebz gur bevtvany negvpyr. TUBFG Cebtenz jnf va gur frjref bs Fuverxrrc, fb V ybbxrq nebhaq gur Pvgl Pragre naq qvqa'g svaq nalguvat. Vg jnf nyfb cbfgrq nobhg ol Tert, fb V purpxrq Havgrq Vfyrf naq sbhaq

uggc://fuverebgu.bet/sbehz/ivrjgbcvp.cuc?s=93&g=8181

...juvpu V'q npghnyyl frra orsber naq nffhzrq jnf cneg bs fbzr pbzcyrgryl qvssrerag "guveq fpniratre uhag", fvapr vg jnf cbfgrq ol Onlra va 2008. Bbcf. Ohg vg ybbxf yvxr vg erdhverf zr gb or zhpu shegure va gur uhag guna V npghnyyl nz, fb V pna bayl nffhzr V'z zrnag gb fbyir gur jubyr Znahry oenapu orsber tbvat gurer. Juvpu V qba'g jnag gb qb gbqnl.

EDIT: Interestingly, the word "Robe" has the curious property that when converted to ROT13, it spells itself backwards. I wonder what other words are like that.

Andreas the Wise

Tbbq gb frr fbzrbar'f znxvat cebterff. :thumbsup Gel ybbxvat va bgure guernqf nobhg Fuverxrrc, engure guna gur Pvgl Prager. Gur Onlra cbfg vf gur ynfg bar, lbh fubhyqa'g or gurer lrg.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Scott of Hyperborea

Nsgre purpxvat gur Gbhevfg Thvqr gb Fuverxrrc guernq, gur Jvxv ba Fuverxrrc, naq gur erprag qrperr ba gur fgnghf bs Fuverxrrc, svanyyl sbhaq uggc://jjj.abingnvavn.bet/Ybjre%20Fuverxrrc.ugzy uvqqra va bar bs gur Xnvfrerff' yvfgf. N yvggyr gbb fhogyr sbe zl yvxvat, ohg jungrire.

Bxnl, abj V'z ng uggc://fuverebgu.bet/sbehz/ivrjgbcvp.cuc?s=33&g=11212 . Sebz gurer: sbhaq gur WNFB Ynof guernq, ohg vg frrzf gb or sbe zhpu shegure va gur uhag. Sbhaq n guernq va Zbagl Pevfpb, ohg vg nyfb frrzf gb or sbe shegure va gur uhag. Jrag onpx gb AIOP, ohg ab uryc gurer. Sbhaq nyy gur cbfgf ol gur zlfgrevbhf fgenatre, ohg gurl qba'g frrz gb yrnq naljurer.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

You know, all the shamans going on in mystical language kind of cause the uninitiated to loose interest......... :sleep

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

10-4 Jake.
The High Priest of Bacchus, or Dionysos Eleutherios, the bull-horned god
The poster formerly known as Benkern
Eaaaaohhh! Join in the dance!
official representative of the Channel Islanders in Yardistan

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Yeah, I think Scott's the only one still going. When I found out the first step involved gnyxvat gb crbcyr gung jbhyq erdhver zr gb fpniratre uhag gurve NVZ/ZFA be jungrire gur uryy V arrq gb qb gb rira nqq gurz gb n ohqql yvfg I dropped out in a hurry. Also seems that the only way to do this is to cheat; too many times people are going "I found this but it seems I'm not there yet," which doesn't make any sort of sense.

I think it's based too much on blind luck and not enough about cleverness. The number puzzle was fun, but bothered me how low vague the answer was.

Someone tell me how it ends because I'm pretty sure it involves JASO's location.

Andreas the Wise

@ Harvey V'z fher n cz jbhyq unir fhssvprq.

@ Scott Jryy, vs lbh arrq gb gryy Znahry fbzrguvat ....

Also @ Harvey - the JASO Labs thread in Amity is the final thread. Though for your purposes, if you want to understand the lead up, I would suggest reading from here. It's quite straightforward from there.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Käthbad jënRöijanin

Post by Käthbad jënRöijanin »

im convinced that if i read these posts out loud i'll end up something Cthulhu-ish
"He who dies with the most toys, is nonetheless, still dead."

Andreas the Wise

Well, why not try to solve it yourself, then you won't need them ...

(it should be fully solvable now, I even removed the bit where you had to talk to me)
Q - Director of SAMIN

Käthbad jënRöijanin

Post by Käthbad jënRöijanin »

i realized the problem was i completely missed the rot13 reference, probably cause i was up all night
id love to take part in these, solely for the puzzling, but i hate the idea of looking randomly around many forums
i remember helping out with the 3rd one last year, solved everything but the geography bit
as far as i can tell from this one, much less actual intellect recquired, just randomly going around the forums
"He who dies with the most toys, is nonetheless, still dead."

Andreas the Wise

Yes, this one is more a story in several parts than a series of puzzles.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “Lukedu Center for the Exploding Arts”