[Testing Sequence] The Great Serpent Awakens

Lucard Cyrus Wrend

[Testing Sequence] The Great Serpent Awakens

Post by Lucard Cyrus Wrend »

"This is a momentous moment for all of us comrades. The fruit of all our labors, finally come to fruition." Lucard strode confidently towards the center of the control room as he spoke. A few of the more skeptical scientists gave him a searching glance, some a disbelieving, and some even radiated fear. "The last component was sent up last week, and maintenance on the unit is complete."

He stepped into the circular set of tabletop screens and ran his hand along the black glass. A soft ping announced that the computer had recognized his print signature and a soft glow filled the room as the remaining tables flickered to life. "You've all be prepped as to your individual responsibilities throughout this procedure. I personally hope to find a way to completely eliminate the need for the likes of you all, but unfortunately Eden's AI is not proceeding as planned, so until then I expect flawless execution of your orders."

He swiped a pattern onto the glass screen and Eden's electronic voice filled the room. Please state command. Lucard spoke again, this time ensuring that he spoke with absolute precision. "Eden. Initiate testing sequence 00 371." Dr. Lucard Cyrus Wrend, voice key confirmed. DSI approval granted. A few of the men in the room looked surprised. Why had he been able to override the MoMA authorization? "Eden. Status."

Ouroboros Array - Status report.
All units functional.
Array Positioning : 0º Equator
Sympathy Rate : Stable
Signal Noise : 0.3%
Coil Status : Ready

"Ok men. Lets do this." Every scientist and technician in the room, almost like clockwork, turned on a dime and began working on the screens in front of them. The 360º screen bloomed into an arial view of the western seaboard of Yardistan Isle. Lucard tapped a symbol and the view switched to a maintenance satellite that was orbiting several kilometers below, giving a view of four pulse class satellites and one surge. "Begin the firing sequence."

A line, maybe only two or so pixels wide, appeared on the screen almost instantaneously. Over then next three minutes the line got progressively brighter until Lucard activated the polarized lenses on the observing satellite. A loud buzz filled the room as technicians interacted, and ensured the satellites remained aligned. "Photon emission reaching visible density on surface." Called on of the men.

The next seven minutes passed in agonizing slowness. Lucard glared at the timer as if he could will it to go faster, though all this achieved was a pair of bloodshot eyes. As the counter reached the last minute, he sprang up. "The Ouroborous reaching critical density, prepare the target coordinates." The view on the screen now split between the glowing ring and the surface view. Markers began appearing on the screen as Eden processed the data. Three crosshairs that had been fluctuating wildly began to slow and gravitate towards a point about 30 km off the western coast of Yardistan.

A loud ping left an eyrie silence in its wake. Lucard turned to find the counter reading 00:00. In a quiet, almost reverent, voice, he addressed the room. "Eden. Confirm coordinates and commence Feedback sequence."

Triangulation complete.
Reducing current velocity by 0.003 m/s.
Feedback in 13 seconds.

Eye Witness wrote: "It was like a giant pillar of light. Like... God's judgment. Or at least what I assume his (or her) judgment would look like if he did it more often. Hmm? No! I was on the beach at the time. The sound it made! It felt like my entire body was going to be shaken to bits. I could feel the vibrations in my bones for gods sakes! The damage you say? Well it, whatever itwas, hit far off enough from the shore. But the wave that it made? I was lucky enough to start running when I saw the damned thing. Where are we going by the way. You haven't even told me your name. What do you mean I 'don't need to know'!It is my right to know! I'm going now....... Why is this door locked? Let me out of here! And turn off th-......king cam-............ lawy-......
Dr. Lucard Cyrus Wrend
ISI Co-Executive

Return to “Infinite Space Initiative”