[Project] OASIS

Leo Fenrir

[Project] OASIS

Post by Leo Fenrir »

OASIS

"Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed members of the Board. It is my great honor today to unveil the plans of the OASIS Project. OASIS or the Orbital Assembly Station and Integration Station is to be the first ever Shirithian orbital space station. Consisting of two major structures linked by several conduits the OASIS will represent the next step in our goal to reach the stars, a foothold for humanity in the vast expanse that is space.

Construction of the station has already begun on individual the modules and the first one is scheduled to launch from Ground Zero in three days. Despite this, the road will be a long, difficult, and economically taxing one. Our goal is to be able to house up to 200 permanent residents in a completely self-sustaining environment (minus food of course) indefinitely, and to have a fully operational zero-gravity construction rig to assemble ships, satellites, and the such in their intended environment. For this to come to fruition however the assembly of all the modules must be perfectly undertaken, which of course will take time.

As I mentioned, the first module to be launched is scheduled for three days from now. This module will be central to the OASIS as it houses an exact replica of the EDEN supercomputer currently being used by the ISI and will act as the physical and informatics hub for later additions. The 'hub' if you will, will not be able to house humans nor will the station be able to do so in the near future. The main focus of the project for now will be the Orbital Construction Rig so that manufacturing of the Ouroboros can be moved into space. Engineers have assured me though that OASIS should be habitable within a month.

The Station is to be launched into MicroSyncronus Orbit directly above Ground Zero so as to ensure minimal fuel consumption in payload delivery. These are simply the first steps for though. Once the initial phases of its construction are completed the ISI plans to move its central command out onto the OASIS. From there the ISI plans to establish a base on Tarsica. But that is still far ahead of us.

Upwards my colleges. That is where the future lies. It is what we must strive for, to spread our legacy to the systems we can only dream of for now. May your thoughts soar ever upwards, ever faster.

Thank you."
Leo Fenrir

Gman Russell

Re: OASIS

Post by Gman Russell »

:yay:
What follows has lead me to this place where I belong, with all erased.

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

"The Station is to be launched into MicroSyncronus Orbit directly above Ground Zero so as to ensure minimal fuel consumption in payload delivery." gods no.

seriously. microsynchronous orbit is over 42 thousand kilometers up. as I said in the other thread, you can't have microstationary anywhere except above the equator.

compare the >42thousand kilomters altitude you are proposing to 347+-4km altitude of the international space station. it is a LONG way to haul the parts, a VERY long way, if you think it's a long way down the road to the shops, that's peanuts to what you're proposing :P

I would advise a lower, more conventional orbit, somewhere in the realms of 350km altitude, maybe higher if you want less orbital decay (ISS has 2km/month orbital decay) but i would very likely put a cap on 1000km or so...

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

True. But lets say that I need the Station to be above Ground Zero for future plans. Would it not make more sense to use the extra fuel once instead of having the station in a regular orbit and expending more fuel to put it there later? Or am I spewing nonsense?
Leo Fenrir

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

it might be more fuel efficient to lift it when it's been put together, as although every part will still make the journey either way the lifter only needs to make the journey once, and the tools required to put the parts together wouldn't need lifting to microsynchronous orbit and back if it were put together in a lower orbit...

also remember what i said about microstationary must be on the equator :P

also, taking people back and forth to microsynchronous orbit takes a lot of effort and isn't exactly easy, as far as i know, only 24 astronauts have ever flown out that far, and they were going to the moon :P

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Ground Zero is directly over the equator. As well as Liberty Center. :jadie

And I'll think of something. I always do. :angel
Leo Fenrir

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

The MINERVA Hub
MAS Format
Name: MINERVA Hub
Nation: Shireroth
Type: Space Station
Orbit: Micrasynchronous
Angle relative to equator:
Altitude: 4.2•10^4 km
Coordinates: [0ºN;-95ºW] 'Ground Zero'
Speed of Rotation: 0.127m/s
Photo

Station Components

•EDEN Core : The EDEN core is an exact copy of the land based EDEN system and will run any and all root tasks on MINERVA. It will regulate life support systems and a small partition will be available for lab use and general computation until further components are brought into orbit.

•Life Support Systems : Two core systems are central to maintaining life on MINERVA. There are the Air Purification unit and the Waste Management and Recycling unit. Expected life of the units is about one year with monthly maintenance.

•AreoSpace Lab [incomplete] : MINERVA will host the first unit of the Areospace lab which will be able to analyze basic data and is equipped with instruments to take data on radiation levels. The full bio lab will be equipped on the next launch.

•Living Quarters : The outer ring of the MINERVA will host the living quarters for long term residents of the station. Maximum capacity of the living quarters is able to sustain 20 permanent residents and 5 visiting residents (17 days).

•Docking Bay : The docking bay is capable of mooring a maximum of 2 ships at a time and will be able to refuel ships (dependent on size and class of ship).

•Comunications Center [incomplete] : Using the latest of sub-space communications technology the CC on MINERVA will maintain a constant uplink with Ground Zero and act as the central router for all ISI communications.
Leo Fenrir

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

Ooooh, nice.
What follows has lead me to this place where I belong, with all erased.

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

I already outlined the difficulties in making a microsynchronous space station, but they are... beatable...

my first thought is that the image isn't accurate :P

sqrt(43306.635^2+42000^2) = 60327.51972km (distance from space station to edge of planet)
2*arccos((43306.635/2)/60327.51972) = 137.9degrees... (apparent angle micras would take up in the sky)

apparently the image does show a sort of accurate representation of micras from the altitude, awesomes

my second thought was that it looked like a symet :P

I assume you mean "Waste Management" not "Wast Management"

I guess the docking bay is on the end, for you to catch something while spinning would be hell :P

ok, the simulated gravity :D

F=rω²/g
F is the pseudogravity inside the station, we'll go for earth gravity? 9.80665ms^-2 if this isn't right, just say :P
r = radius of the ring on the outside, i don't know this... (in meters)
ω = 2*pi*rotations per second (we'll call rotations per second p)
g = earths gravity 9.80665ms^-2

9.80665 = 4*r*pi^2*p^2/9.80655
2.43602429 = r*p^2
so if you know the radius, the speed it is spinning in rotations per second is
sqrt(2.43602429/r)

handy dandy, hopefully it won't be an ungodly amount :P

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

*slips Spangle a 100 :erb note*
Leo Fenrir

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Leo, how much would it cost to send a Batavian station in space? :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Cost would be dependent on many factors of course. The first and most important would be weather or not you would like the ISI to build to the component parts or simply to make use of our launch facilities. Also, assuming the latter, the nearest center with orbital launch capabilities is Ground Zero on Yardistan, and if your shipping the modules by water there would be your fuel cost to take into account, that is should you wish for the ISI to charter the SS Elwynn to load the modules in Krieksburgh. All of that aside, the price of lifting the station into orbit would be dependent on its mass. To cut to the chase the prices would look like this:

Construction and manufacturing fees : 450 :erb
ISI funded naval shipping fees : 30 :erb
Price per kg lifted into space : 0.0006 :erb /kg
Leo Fenrir

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

either the :erb is worth tonnes, or that's a pretty good deal on the kilograms relative to the real world :P

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Its a good deal. I used the International Space Station as the basis for my price (it would turn out to about 200 :erb ) and I'm assuming that they are going to send something of the same or larger size. It shouldn't come out to more then 400 :erb. Use low prices to entice your market and then once you have a market to sell to you can boost prices. :thumbsup

EDIT: All payable to the ISI account :angel
Leo Fenrir

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

And this will include a picture of the station?
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Indeed!
Though you'll have to give me an impression of what you would like in terms of design and functionality.

As an aside though, I have a ridiculous amount of work so a picture would be a while in coming. I'd cut out 300 :erb from construction and manufacturing should you wish to opt out of the picture.
Leo Fenrir

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I will seriously consider this, thanks. :)

Aside of this, is the image of the space station in 3D? Maybe I can integrated it in the Celestia program expansion Bill made. My first try was a success. I will first take a look to see what kind of file the station has to be (I think Google Sketchup was sufficient).

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

It wasn't done in a conventional 3D file though I've tried converting it to one. Short of making a whole new model I don't think it will integrate. I'll consider making one though when I have the time.
Leo Fenrir

Return to “Infinite Space Initiative”