Programmers Guild

Moderator: Andreas the Wise

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

At the moment, this is just checking if this is possible, and getting a rough idea of what you'd charge. At a later time I might actually ask it to be done, depending on whether the system actually becomes popular or not.

Scott proposed a new recwar system QUARREL, the two main bonuses being that it has a way to resolve battles (partly using random numbers) and that it makes varying levels of complexity entirely optional. But the use of random numbers to determine a battle (in combination with strength) obviously would be disputed by people - unless we could have a program that would generate those numbers for both participants at the same time, and log that generation and display the numbers.

What I envision would be something where you'd say what Module you're using (from 1-4) and then be taken to a set of options. You'd put in the strength of your troops, the strength of the opponents, and have a series of checkboxes like "One sided battle in A's favour"
"Fortification strength" etc. All of these would be clearly defined in the charter, when it's finished being written. Ideally it wouldn't be too hard to add more options in (which could happen when the charter becomes more popular). When you'd done all that, it would generate the requisite random number, work out the result of the equation, and post one some public and easily accessible page the result of that battle. (like "A wins by x points, so damage to A is y and damage to B is z") Such a posting would not be able to removed except by an admin who'd do so at the end of a war.
As a hopeful extra, you'd be able to click on the result generated on the front page and see all the things that were ticked, and the random numbers generated (to double check results if disputes come up). It'd either want to be hosted on Shireroth (for easy editing) or on Bill's server at Nelaga.

So yeah ... would such a system be possible to program, and how much would you want for it? I'm willing to a reasonably high amount (like 2000 + ).
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Ari Rahikkala

Re: Quote

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I'm not sure I'm willing to work on this before the flaw pointed out by Harvey is solved: It is generally in the interest of either side in a battle to escalate to a more complex module if it gives them a tactical advantage, so people will be spending effort working out values for more complicated calculations rather than on storylines. Please convince me that's not really a problem, or that the system is still better than anything else out there first. Or fix the system or something.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Andreas the Wise

Oh, I don't want to have it started yet, and yes, the system definitely needs work. I just want to check its possible ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I'd imagine extremely possible. Just basically math and psudo-random number generators. Maybe a database.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

* finally gets around to looking at the GotMG again *

Yeah, it's possible, it's just that my ethical injunction against adding yet another thing on the internet that you need a username and password for is making my brain shut down when looking at this (you need user authentication and authoritative identification to make sure people don't submit orders for other people or something). Anyways, yeah, again, I actually would like to see some more development on the system, not just because I demand that before I'll put in code, but because it's quite interesting in any case.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Andreas the Wise

We'll harass Scott, shall we?
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “Church of the Machine God”