[Order] Call for discussion topics

A center for Shireroth's minority religions
Yvain Wintersong

[Order] Call for discussion topics

Post by Yvain Wintersong »

I'm kind of burnt out right now and want to think a bit before posting any more Order stuff. So, the new plan is running through discussions on topics that interest us.

A good topic for discussion would be something you believe pretty strongly, but which is controversial enough that we could get a good discussion going. It would also have to be something you think you can back up with logic, and something important enough to matter. I'd kind of like if it wasn't something super-polarizing we've all heard before, like whether abortion is immoral or which religion is true. And I'd love it if it was a clearly expressed factual question instead of something wishy-washy and meaningless. You'd have to write up a short introductory post and hopefully participate afterwards too. If you're interested, post a topic here and we can organize them into a queue.

After (or maybe during) the discussion, we can have a postmortem and analyze the logical processes we used.

Hypatia's Mom, in the original thread, you wanted to discuss how rationality must be grounded in faith in God. Are you still up for that? That would be a great first topic.

Neike Taika-Tessaro

Re: [Order] Call for discussion topics

Post by Neike Taika-Tessaro »

Egoism / Altruism, though I would probably kill myself arguing my point there, which ain't a pretty sight.

Hm... FireFox / IE? ;)

Wait, you said 'not polarising'. I'll shut up now. :D
Neike Taika-Tessaro, Archon of Dark Arcadia

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I've always loved the meaning of life, but that gets so caught up in religion, and can't really be dealt with logically without establishing several axioms which others would take as prejudices, so best not to ....
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Yvain Wintersong

Hypatia's Mom's not biting, and no one else seems to be proposing anything, so...Neike, why don't you start a post on egotism versus altruism? I've always wanted to see someone kill themselves by over-arguing.

(Firefox vs. IE wouldn't work, because the IE people probably wouldn't be able to use the forum well enough to post opinions)

Andreas, I agree that the meaning of life probably wouldn't make a good formal discussion topic, but if you think you've figured it out I'd be very interested in hearing what you think it is.

Neike Taika-Tessaro

Yvain Wintersong wrote:Neike, why don't you start a post on egotism versus altruism? I've always wanted to see someone kill themselves by over-arguing.
...b-b-but... I HAVE A FAMIL- wait, I don't... *fidget* *shift, shuffle* What if I don't know how to start? *whines pitifully!*
Yvain Wintersong wrote:(Firefox vs. IE wouldn't work, because the IE people probably wouldn't be able to use the forum well enough to post opinions)
Hey! I resent that! :D

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

I'm still in the process of framing my discussion points. I'll post when I've got it together. I'm biting; it's just taking longer than I hoped.

Yvain Wintersong

I'm still in the process of framing my discussion points. I'll post when I've got it together. I'm biting; it's just taking longer than I hoped.
Okay HM, don't worry about it. Maybe that'll give Neike enough time to overcome her deep inner fear of topic-starting by the time we're finished with your discussion. Yvain pats Neike on the head and murmurs something comforting, like 'We've all been there'
Hey! I resent that!
Are you an IE user? I wouldn't've pegged you as one.

Neike Taika-Tessaro

Yvain Wintersong wrote:Yvain pats Neike on the head and murmurs something comforting, like 'We've all been there'
*sniffle*
Yvain Wintersong wrote:Are you an IE user? I wouldn't've pegged you as one.
Why, certainly! I'm a devil's advocate by nature. And I also like the IE box model. *cuddles it like a fluffy pet!*

Return to “The Multi-Temple”