[Order] Testmas Answers and Explanations

A center for Shireroth's minority religions
Yvain Wintersong

[Order] Testmas Answers and Explanations

Post by Yvain Wintersong »

1. You have a weighted coin that comes up heads 66% of the time and tails 33% of the time. You flip it twenty times. Which of the following sequences do you think is most likely to exist among those twenty flips?

a) HHHHHH

b) HHTHHT
c) HTTTTH
d) TTTTTT
e) All are equally likely
I messed this one up! See, I tattooed ALWAYS HYPOTHESIS TEST on my forehead a few years ago, but I forgot that I can't see my own forehead, so people staring directly at me hypothesis test correctly, but I keep forgetting. Yeah. That's the reason.

Anyway, after Neike's post it should've been correct. Many of you fell for the logical error here, which is not doing the coin tosses independently. The probability of any one coin toss being heads has nothing to do with the probability any other coin toss was heads. Since the coin was more likely to come up heads than tails, the most likely sequence is all heads.

Quick demo of this - simplify it to a three coin toss. The coin's landed heads the past two times. What's it going to do now? Well, with 66% chance, it will come up heads again. So HHH is more likely than HHT, and HHH-HHH is more likely than HHT-HHT.

A completely different question would have been "Which is more likely - some combination of two tails and four heads, or six consecutive heads?" The answer THEN would have been some combination of two tails and four heads.

I've screwed up this question enough that I might still be wrong, so someone check me on this.
2. Linda is 31 years old, single, outspoken, and very bright. She majored in philosophy. As a student, she was deeply concerned with issues of discrimination and social justice, and also participated in anti-nuclear demonstrations. Rank the following statements from most probable to least probable:

1. Linda is a teacher in an elementary school.
2. Linda is active in the feminist movement.
3. Linda is a bank teller.
4. Linda works in a bookstore and takes yoga classes.
5. Linda is a bank teller and is active in the feminist movement.
6. Linda is an insurance salesman.
Well, there's no one "most probable" and "least probable" answer. But what you should have noticed were statements 2, 3, and 5. Both "Linda is a bank teller" and "Linda is active in the feminist movement" MUST both be more likely than "Linda is a bank teller and is active in the feminist movement." That is, since every time Linda is a bank teller and a feminist, Linda is also a feminist, 2 and 3 are both ALWAYS more likely than 5.

This is a classic example of the Conjunction Fallacy, a logical fallacy in which people mistakenly say that "Both A and B" is more likely than "A". There are a lot of other good examples at the link.

So all of you who listed "They're all equally probable" were wrong :) Serves you right.
3. Consider a person randomly chosen from the phone book named John. We investigate John's personality and find that he is quiet, bright, and likes poetry and classical music. Which of the following is MOST likely true?

a) John is a truck driver
b) John is a professor at an Ivy League school
c) Both of these are equally likely.
Only Ari got this one right, and that's probably because he reads the same articles I do :) There are probably only a few thousand Ivy League professors in the world, but a few million truck drivers. So, even if Ivy League professors are a hundred times more likely than truck drivers to like poetry and so on, the guy's still ten times more likely to be a truck driver.

This is called the Base Rate Fallacy. You'll see it again in the taxi cab problem.
4. A man has a machine with a button on it. If you press the button, there is a one in five hundred thousand chance that you will die immediately; otherwise, nothing happens. He offers you some money to press the button once. What do you do? Do you refuse to press it for any amount? If not, how much money would convince you to press the button?
Liam's answer of $50 (along with several others) seems reasonable. For all of you who said they would never press the button for any amount of money, consider that you have about a one in five hundred thousand chance of dying in an accident for every hour you're driving. If you wouldn't press the button for a billion dollars, that means that, if someone who lived a half hour away offered you a billion dollars and all you had to do was show up at his house to pick it up, you wouldn't take the offer.

Or if you ever go shopping, consider that you're exchanging a small chance of death - even just by walking to the store - for however much money you'd lose by using one of those online grocery services.

I heard this example a long time ago, and I don't remember the official name for it or what study is was discovered in. If Ari or anyone else knows, please remind me.
5. A cab was involved in a hit-and-run accident. Two cab companies serve the city: the Green, which operates 85% of the cabs, and the Blue, which operates the remaining 15%. A witness identifies the hit-and-run cab as Blue. When the court tests the reliability of the witness under circumstances similar to those on the night of the accident, he correctly identifies the color of the cab 80% of the time and misidentifies it 20% of the time. So...

a) Believe him. The cab was likely blue
b) Don't believe him. The cab was probably green.
c) The cab had an equal chance of being either blue or green.
d) There's no way to tell the probability from this information.
The cab was probably green, although, as Ari snarkily pointed out, it's only a minor difference and not enough to build a court case on. This question is similar to the truck driver question in that you have to use your information to adjust from an original base rate. The calculation, which Ari obviously did, was:

85% original chance of being green * only 20% chance the guy was wrong = 17% from this alone that cab was green
15% original chance of being blue * 80% chance the guy was right = 12% chance from this alone that cab was blue
But since we know the cab was either green or blue, we can find the actual chance it was green by 17%/29% = 58.6%

I did a terrible job explaining that, didn't I? No matter, go to the source: Representativeness Heuristic
6. You're a politician working on the budget. Which of these seems most worthy of funding?

a) An special team to stop terrorist attacks. Policy analysts say it will stop 95% of planned attacks on your country's soil.
b) Research for curing cancer. Scientists think it will save the lives of 20% of cancer patients.
c) Funding more policemen and detectives. This could cut the homicide rate by 66%
Hey, pat yourself on the back. You all got this one right. There's a common fallacy of being more worried about scary, catastrophic forms of death than boring ones, even though the boring ones happen much more often. As you all figured out, saving 20% of cancer patients saves a whole lot more people than 95% of terrorism victims.

As it happens, the statistics suggest the cancer option ends up saving the most people, but the difference between the cancer and homicide statistics isn't big enough that you get minus points for not knowing it.
7. Which of these are you most likely to die from?

a) Terrorism!!!
b) Earthquake!!!
c) Asteroid strike!!!
d) Snakebite/spider bite!!!
e) All approximately equal!!!
Yet another question dealing with your imminent demise. Liam was the only one to get this one right - you're most likely to die from an asteroid strike (Andreas' caveat that it's D for him because he lives in Australia has my sympathy, though).

Although the odds of a big asteroid hitting Earth are very low, if it does, it will kill everyone or almost everyone. If a big asteroid only hits once in a million years, but kills all seven billion people on Earth, then on average, seven thousand people a year die of asteroid strikes. In contrast, in first world countries, only about a hundred people a year die of bites from venomous animals, only about 30 a year from earthquakes, and only a few hundred from terrorism.

The actual odds of dying in an asteroid strike are disputed because we don't know exactly how often big asteroids hit. I've seen anywhere from 1/50000 to 1/6000. But everyone agrees they're rather high compared to many more common forms of death.

Ironically, once again I messed up on this question - I made exactly the same mistake I was testing you for. I took the death rate statistics from 2004. But, of course, if once every few thousand years there's a gigantic earthquake that sinks Los Angeles or Tokyo into the sea, that probably will raise the odds pretty significantly. And if once every few thousand years terrorists nuke a major city, that will probably increase them too. I should've stuck with something simpler.

But you all said snakebite, or all equal, so you're still wrong :) At least we're wrong together.
8. In a standard novel, which of the following would you expect to see most often?

a) Words beginning with the sequence "fij"
b) Words ending with the letter "g"
c) Words beginning with the letter "q"
d) Words ending with the sequence "ing"
The most obvious answer, "d", is as usual wrong. Any word that ends with "ing" must necessarily also end with "g". There are also some words that end with "g" that don't end with "ing", so b>d. The other two were just stuff I threw in there so it wouldn't be so obvious what I was doing, but they should both be pretty rare.

This is an example of both the Conjunction FallacyConjunction Fallcy[/url], as mentioned above, and the Availability Heuristic, in which people think that if it's easier to think of an example of something, it must be more common. It's easy to think of examples of "ing" words because you can just add "ing" to the end of lots of verbs. It's harder to think of examples of "g" words because aside from the ing words, there aren't many.
9. And which are there more of?
a) words beginning with K, like "king"
b) words with k as the third letter, like "rake"?
Another Availability Fallacy one. Our minds find it easy to sort words by first letter, so it's easy to think of examples of words beginning with "k". It's harder to think of words with "k" as the third letter, but my source informs me there are, indeed, more.
10. Counting from one to a million, which are there most of:
a) Numbers with "3" as the last digit
b) Numbers with "9" as the last digit
c) Numbers with either "2" or "5" as the last digit
d) All the same.
This was my question to see who was cheating. C, the answer that's obviously correct, in fact IS correct. If you put down anything but C, you were obviously expecting a trick question and changing your answer to something else without knowing why. Shame on you. *cough* Benkern and Maksym *cough* :P
11. I am teaching a class, and I write upon the blackboard three numbers: 2-4-6. "I am thinking of a rule," I say, "which governs sequences of three numbers. The sequence 2-4-6, as it so happens, obeys this rule. Each of you will find, on your desk, a pile of index cards. Write down a sequence of three numbers on a card, and I'll mark it "Yes" for fits the rule, or "No" for not fitting the rule. Then you can write down another set of three numbers and ask whether it fits again, and so on. When you're confident that you know the rule, write down the rule on a card. You can test as many triplets as you like." Here's the record of one student's guesses:

4, 6, 2 No
4, 6, 8 Yes
10, 12, 14 Yes

At this point the student wrote down his guess at the rule. What do you think the rule is? Would you have wanted to test another triplet, and if so, what would it be?
In the original experiment, the answer was "The three numbers are in increasing order."

This is from an experiment by Peter Wason to test for a form of Confirmation Bias. The best way to test a theory is to look for ways to prove it wrong. If you don't find any, your theory's probably right. But most people, instead, will look for ways to prove the theory right. If you thought it was increasing by 2, and wanted to test 3,5,7, you were probably looking for a way to prove your theory right.

This bias is particularly interesting because of its political implications. Read the Confirmation Bias article above for more information.
12. The biggest city is Tokyo. The largest empire was Britain. The smallest planet is Mercury. The religions go Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism.
The point of this was the confidence levels. I was testing for something called the Overconfidence Bias, which says that people tend to be much more confident than the situation warrants. The article linked to above says people tend to have 60-70% confidence when they're right 50% of the time (it also contained a much better test for overconfidence that I would've used here if I'd known about it last week; take it if you want).

Take a look at your answers and see if you were overconfident in them. Maybe one of the resident math geniuses knows an exact formula to use to determine whether you were overconfident, but it's getting late for me, so here's the quick and dirty way - since there were only 4 questions, if you assigned a probability greater than 75% to any you got wrong, you were overconfident.

A fun implication of this is that if you ask people whether they're average, below average, or above average in some category - let's say as drivers - about three quarters of people will say they're above average, which is obviously false.
13. I lied. All of these are actually the opposite of the correct answer, except for the third, which was indeed correct.
This was intended to test hindsight bias, aka the "I knew it all along" effect. If you know the answer to something, the answer looks obvious. There's a fun study about a flood up at Overcoming Bias' hindsight bias post.

Surprisingly, none of you had any major hindsight bias. That's probably because this was a terrible method of testing for it. Most of the decent studies in the article above required giving each condition to different groups of people, and we didn't have enough Shirerithians for that.

Or maybe you're all just geniuses.

So, why did I make you take this test? Well, aside from just really enjoying tricking people, the point was to showcase some flaws that people are very prone to making. And there are lots of other biases I forgot, and lots of others that were too hard to think of test questions for. A lot of these flaws have very, very deep effects on topics like politics, economics, religion, and society. The article on Confirmation Bias, which I again highly suggest, is a great example of those.

Even when you're taking a test with clear, concrete answers that you KNOW is full of trick questions, you're prone to making these mistakes. Even when I was WRITING this test about a subject I've studied for a long time and doing it specifically thinking about these mistakes in order to trip the rest of you up, I was prone to making these mistakes. That's not a good sign. It probably means that in our daily life, dealing with much more complex issues, we probably make many, many more invisible mistakes of the same sort.

I believe that part of the reason why people and countries keep on making bad decisions, time after time, and having the same arguments without any resolution, is because of these mistakes. That's why it's so important to learn logical procedures for decision-making. Not so that you can avoid these, because that's almost impossible, but so that you can minimize and route around them. I already posted one very weak example - the expected utility analysis of global warming. As I learn more, I'll try to post those two, and if you learn some, I want to hear about them.

Another thing I hope you've learned - just because something's a trick question doesn't mean you should always answer "They're all equal." Yvain glares at a few people

Neike Taika-Tessaro

Re: [Order] Testmas Answers and Explanations

Post by Neike Taika-Tessaro »

I'm surprised I didn't fuck it all up.

But, anyway, whoo! *grabs shovel and DIGS*
Yvain Wintersong wrote:[Question 2] Well, there's no one "most probable" and "least probable" answer.
Yea-ea-eah. I found the question itself very weird. I wonder if I ended up juggling it around so much that I managed to screw up what you said was important in a moment of inattentiveness. I probably did, too. Lemme look at that again, later. (Edit - Whoo, I didn't screw it up! I stayed halfways focussed! GO ME! ...anyway... >.>)
Yvain Wintersong wrote:[Question 3] ...
Oh god. I can tell you why I got this one wrong. Aside from completely missing the point, that is. I completely OVERREAD(!!) the "Ivy League" part, which made it far less obvious to me that I was missing the point (since there are obviously far more professors than professors at any one single university)! What horrible, horrible levels of LETHAL! I suck! Arggh!
Yvain Wintersong wrote:[Button pushing!] Liam's answer of $50 (along with several others) seems reasonable. For all of you who said they would never press the button for any amount of money, consider that you have about a one in five hundred thousand chance of dying in an accident for every hour you're driving.
Point made (even though I don't drive). I was initially going to mention that you're overlooking purpose, but then, you could argue the purpose of my pushing the button is, well, acquisition of the money, which at first didn't occur to me because my parents are filthy rich, and so the benefit of extra money tends to fall off my radar in certain situations. Such as this one.

I wouldn't trust the setup, though, which was (and probably always will be) my core issue with that particular question. "Hey, come over here. See this button? If you push it, you have a minute chance of dying. If you don't die, I'll give you a lot of money!" >.> "O RLY?" This tends to be my downfall in life, too... I'm oversceptical of a lot of things, which is detrimental to my enjoyment of them; even if I'm asked to just for a moment have a suspension of disbelief for simplicity's sake, or for a hypothetical question! It also ruins many movies for me. *chuckles*

My only excuse is that my boyfriend is so much worse in the overscepticism department. I've seriously pondered ducttaping his mouth when we watch a movie on DVD before. "Wait. That makes no sens- mmmpgppppphhhhrghghh..!" Ah, the bliss that would be...
Yvain Wintersong wrote:I did a terrible job explaining that, didn't I?
Not at all! :) That was nice and straight-forward.

I wanted to keep calculations out of it as much as possible, which is why I didn't adjust my original guess of #1 after I did calculations, and only adjusted it after you corrected the question (thus changing the basis of my answer), so I didn't work out the calculations here. I pretty much thought half the point was to go by what we would pick by gut feeling. (Note: this is not meant to be criticism in the least!)
Yvain Wintersong wrote:(Andreas' caveat that it's D for him because he lives in Australia has my sympathy, though)
...hey...! Do I get bonus points for having grown up in South Africa and having several close encounters with snakes? :P
Yvain Wintersong wrote:The other two were just stuff I threw in there so it wouldn't be so obvious what I was doing,
FAIL. Haha. :) *grins* No, just kidding - good going, though I did wonder why the "g" and "ing" were both in the question, since I thought it would be obvious that the "ing" would be instantly a non-option, which seemed too easy.
Yvain Wintersong wrote:Our minds find it easy to sort words by first letter, so it's easy to think of examples of words beginning with "k".
I think I would have fallen for this one if I didn't know from growing up bilingually that k-words are hideously rare in English. You see, they're very common in German - so the distinction is very obvious. As such, I'm naturally suspicious of anything claiming there are more words starting with "k" in the English language than... well, almost any other rule, haha.
Yvain Wintersong wrote:If you thought it was increasing by 2, and wanted to test 3,5,7, you were probably looking for a way to prove your theory right.
I assumed the person you gave us data of had the theory that it was "even numbers in the form a, a+2, a+4". That's why I wanted to test odd numbers, first. Noticing that at least disproved the 'even' part, I would've thought of it as a function, which often cease to be "well-behaved" for high values... and so I wanted to see if it was going to do any crazy stuff further up the line (disproving "a, a+2, a+4" holding true for all "a"), or if it really could be that simple. Then, "Possibly more" (I didn't want to decide on what before knowing the answers... call me picky). I would have noticed both matched the rule, and then tried to continually find something that was not matching to it.

So how does that rate? And: was it clear from my answer, or was I being irritatingly obscure?
Yvain Wintersong wrote:12. The biggest city is Tokyo.
Wow, cool. :D Out of interest, I wanted to figure out how wrong I was, and found out I wasn't actually that far off, I just answered the wrong question. *laughs*
Yvain Wintersong wrote:The largest empire was Britain.
Shoot! :D But this makes me feel good inside now. (I'm a huge Britain aficionado! Just horrid about my history, haha.)
Yvain Wintersong wrote:The smallest planet is Mercury.
*sniffles, for no reason... sentimentalities?*
Yvain Wintersong wrote:The religions go Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism.
Aw, crap. :D I could have sworn Christianity was a lot less common than that. *mulls* This was my "overconfidence" one.
Yvain Wintersong wrote:
13. I lied. All of these are actually the opposite of the correct answer, except for the third, which was indeed correct.
Ooh, that explains the huhwha I had about the last question. Since the others were pretty much going to be guesses from my end, being no history nut at all, and certainly not US history, I would've probably done a lot of stupid deducting, anyway.

I think what helped me here is knowing that I had no idea about these subjects. I would indeed have guessed for many of them - not necessarily purely luck-guesses, like the one where I said I would flip a coin, but guesses attempting to make sense of the potential answers. So I really guessed the amount I'd probably be saying something to that effect... not how confident I would feel giving those answers. I like answering questions, though a lot of answers that I give are to the effect of, "I don't know for sure, but I think it might be X, because of Y." Though lately, with Wikipedia, it's been more to the effect of, "Hold on a minute," looking it up, checking the talk page, the history, then coming back five minutes later and saying, "According to Wikipedia, it's X because of Y." ... haha, oh god ... confidence ... what's that?

Also, I'm genuinely surprised about the better educated people doing better in warfare. I guess it might be because I don't see the relevance of what is learnt in school, in battle. Meaning, I have a very specific notion as to what "educated" means, which was probably not given, at all. I'm probably going to continue getting this one wrong in future, unless I manage to remember this test. Of course, I live in Germany, and here, the Nazis were so bad and stupid and all the negative words you can possibly come up with - and the last of us to really do any proper war - that it's probably easy to fall into that trap.

Actually, there's a movie soon to come out over here, based on a novel - Die Welle. It's set in the contemporary world and from what I can gather is supposed to be about an experiment by teachers to see how easily perfectly well-educated students can fall into the mindset that bred naziism (the answer of the movie/novel being: far too easily).

Which has nothing to do with the test, as such, but probably a lot about the question of overconfidence.
Yvain Wintersong wrote:Or maybe you're all just geniuses.
...I like that theory. :D
Yvain Wintersong wrote:Another thing I hope you've learned - just because something's a trick question doesn't mean you should always answer "They're all equal." Yvain glares at a few people
Haha. :D

Anyway, good fun. Personally, I'd be curious what made each of us partake, perhaps moreso than why you asked the question.

I was hoping I'd do well enough as not to have to die of shame afterward (it'd be nice to know I'm not a total idiot, as by some objective standard, not just some nice people's opinions, as nice as those are).

So what's become of that, you might ask?

Hm.

I'd say: *dies of shame*

Edit - hey, wait. Working it out... I'm not that bad... *ponders reincarnation*
Neike Taika-Tessaro, Archon of Dark Arcadia

Ari Rahikkala

Re: [Order] Testmas Answers and Explanations

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I'll come right out and confess that I actually did frequency analysis on a bunch of random text files lying around in my ~ for questions 8 and 9... that doesn't disqualify me, does it? ;)
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Return to “The Multi-Temple”