The Temple of Eru

A center for Shireroth's minority religions
Braden Indianensis
Location: Number 12 Concord Street, Nafticon, Republic of Antica

The Temple of Eru

Post by Braden Indianensis »

* A man in a white robe steps across the hushed sanctuary of the Shirekeep Temple. The man is holding a large, shallow copper basin which contains an apple, a pear, a mango,a lemon, a lime, an ear of corn and three sheaves of wheat. He walks to the end of the large chamber and passes through a pair of golden doors, which he closes behind him. He takes off his shoes and pulls up his hood before entering. Once inside, he puts the basin on a small wooden table and walks out again, putting on his shoes and lowering his hood. It's none other than Baldwin.*

Dearly beloved, I welcome you to the Temple of Eru Iluvatar. Services will be on Wednesdays. But now, simply contemplate on your lives and the nature of Eru, and remember: strive always to do His will.

* Chanting the Improperium, Baldwin exits the Temple.*
Antican Ambassador to Shireroth and Babkha
Former Speaker of the Assembly of the Republic of Antica
Reporter for the Antican Liberator
Elder Guard of the Order of the Vorpal Blade

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

I for one welcome this new religion. However, due to the peculiarities of the Shirerithian accent and a different scheme of transliteration from elvish runes, we call Him Ari here.

Braden Indianensis

Thank you for your support, Scott, as well as the Shirithian grammatical tip. I decided to introduce this new faith to Shireroth because it keeps with my ideals of monotheism, but is much more inclusive than the Standardized Protestant Antican Church or whatever it was called.

PS: perhaps I will see you at services tomorrow?

Braden Indianensis

*Baldwin enters the temple, crosses the sanctuary, and makes the Offering of the Fruits*

Dearly beloved, I have a great deal to say.

Just because I brought this religion to Shireroth it does not that I founded it or that I have the sole right of theology-making. This religion was first practiced on an organized level several thousand years ago on the Island of Numenor; however, in The Silmarillion, the only ritual described was the Offering of the Fruits to Eru (Ari), so I will insist that we retain that as a general practice-- for now, every Wednesday, or until someone comes up with a better timetable.

Today, I'll be delivering my opinions on the Nature of Ari from the standpoint of a Christian, but, just because I'm the de facto high priest of this new religion doesn't mean that I'm the only one whose allowed to speak or offer opinions. I want views from people of all sorts of religions, so that a truly hybrid monotheistic religion may be crafted. Of course, we'll consider everyone's opinions when forging our beliefs, and we may not end up with priests at all. I, personally, believe in the priesthood of all belivers; but we willl work this alll out later! On to my sermon!

ON THE NATURE OF THE ONE

In my opinion, the nature of Ari depends greatly on one's own view of religion. I will be delivering my opinions from the standpoint of a Christian, so may I implore non-Christians to participate when I've finished?

The Trinitine God, when you get down to it, is 50% force and 50% being, in this universe and all others. Really, it's impossible for a force to have a gender. Plus, when we look at the three constituent parts of the Trinity, the sex of Eru becomes evident: the Father and Son are clearly masculine; however, the Holy Spirit is gender neutral. If the Trinity is 2/3 masculine and 1/3 gender netral, the whole thing can't be totally masculine.

In the original Hebrew scripture, God is almost never referred to as "he;" however, when translated into English, there was a problem: besides "it," English has no pronoun for a gender-neutral thing; and besides, "it" should be used for objects nad animals, not sentient beings. So, in a male-dominated world, God became a man.

Not that God's gender matters much anyway. God is the Master/Mistress of the entire Cosmos; Knower of All; Creator of Everything. Don't you think God is rather beyond human coceptions of gender? I do. Thusly, I rest.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

English has no pronoun for a gender-neutral thing; and besides, "it" should be used for objects nad animals, not sentient beings. So, in a male-dominated world, God became a man.
Actually, the gender-neutral form inEnglish is technically linguistically "he". And there's the fact that in Shireroth we invented "zer". :p
Senechal Bill Trihus of Greater Audentior
Citizen of Shireroth
Zor nukrô šempi zor fredrô

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

That's "zie".

Conjugation as follows:
he/she: zie
they (plural): zir
his/hers: zir
theirs: zir

Braden Indianensis

Ah! Thanks. I don't suppose, other than that, you have anything to contribute to the discussion?

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

I suppose as head priest for Cedrism, I should say SOMETHING, but i'll be a Calleman's uncle if I know what to say....
There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

This religion was first practiced on an organized level several thousand years ago on the Island of Numenor; however, in The Silmarillion, the only ritual described was the Offering of the Fruits to Eru
It should also be noted that in the Unfinished Tales, three festivals dedicated to Eru are also mentioned as being practiced in Numenor:

Erukyermë, the Prayer to Eru, held in "the first days of spring", which seems to have been for the purpose of asking for His blessings in the year to come;

Erulaitalë, the Praise of Eru, held in midsummer, apparently to glorify Him and His works;

Eruhantalë, the Thanksgiving to Eru, held at the end of autumn, which likely was meant to thank Him for all He has done.

These prayers were offered by the King of Numenor atop the summit of Meneltarma, the high mountain in the center of Numenor; the summit was a holy place, and very silent. Only the King ever spoke there, and only during these festivals; and no one could bring there a tool or weapon.

Hope that my obsessiveness in reporting this if help.

Braden Indianensis

More than you know, Shyriath! A thousand thanks.

Braden Indianensis

Considering what time of year it's getting to be, perhaps we should think about celebrating Erukyermë soon. Spring, obviously, does not officially start for a few weeks, but never before have I seen 70-degree weather on March 1st; at least, not in Indiana. Of course, most of you don't live in Indiana (I may be the only one), but it generally has a pretty moderate climate, and I think should be considered a fairly good judge of seasons.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I dunno, I think the festivals ought to have official dates, or at least a range of official dates. I mean, if you go entirely by the climate, it could have unforeseen consequences. Suppose you had an unusally short winter? The Eruhantalë and the Erukyermë could end up too close together.

I suggest spacing them out evenly across the year. Erukyermë could be in March; Erulaitalë could be in July; and Eruhantalë could be in November.

Braden Indianensis

Good idea.

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

I don't know. I kind of like the idea of having it tied to the real seasons. It gives it more of a nature-based shaman-y feel rather than a big fixed organized religion one. I know it's always kind of disappointing celebrating holidays in California where there is no tie whatsoever to the season that they are supposed to represent.

Braden Indianensis

Also a good idea. The decision is not up solely to me, though..it ought to be the choice of the congregation, although I think I have a good compromise in mind: I think we should celebrate holidays according to the seasons and then go by general consensus as to the precise date, which may change whenever.

Braden Indianensis

Erukyermë

As these are the first days of spring, I have brought you all here, to the summmit of this great Mount, in order that we may pray to the Great Eru, in the feast of Erukyermë. Great Lord, we come before you today, to beseech your blessings in the year to come. May our sowing be successful in the ensuing Summer; in the Fall, may we harvest well, and do thanksgiving unto you. Indeed, our profits were great last year, and, with your grace, will be as good this year. We have had failures, it is true; the loss of our leader, and the death of one of our calling's greatest visionaries just today. But we persevere. And so, in your mercy, please grant us poor souls profit and righteousness. Watch over us and defend us, Lord. Keep us safe in your arms, and grant us help. We are your servants, now and always.

I wish you all a very happy year, and a happy Erukyermë. Go in peace.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Bows*

May Eru the One bless thee and keep thee till the End.

This doesn't mean I'm converting, mind you, but I have a sympathy toward a Tolkien-based religion. :)

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

Word.

Braden Indianensis

Although a few days have passed since the Solstice, it is Midsummer season nonetheless. As such, I have assembled you all here for a short prayer.

Eru Illuvatar, the One, timepiece of our lives, we are come to glorify you and your works. You have cause us to speak, and so we have spoken; you have caused us to think, and so we have thought; you have caused the earth, the other heavenly bodies, to dance, in time, in perfect orbit around the Sphere of the Sun; you have ordered the seasons, the tides, and our lives. You speak but rarely to us; even rarer do you intervene directly in the course of time. Yet, all is as you will it; yet again, we have choices and decisions to make, and largely make our own destinies. May your name be great and glorious among men for all time, unto the breaking of the world. We are your servants, now and always.

Go in peace. and remember: even the shadow is a passing thing.

Return to “The Multi-Temple”