Their Holinesses Yoktarh and Kohlarh

A center for Shireroth's established religion, Cedrism
Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Their Holinesses Yoktarh and Kohlarh

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

Faithful! :worship
Here we are, two new Cedrist G-ds have been discovered carved on a strange obelisk in a desolate valley on the Lywind and Modan-Lach borders. At approximately five o' clock yesterday, a Lywinder trader- Zebediah Lyhightie- and his Laqi business partner Sirimjuur Yakharjangjurikuzkuzmerilakyzylyotnorgaskinmekhlantirynov stumbled across the two obelisks and attempted to remove the murals to sell to rich collectors in Eriksburg and Brookshire Hamlet, when the faces of the two G-ds bit their fingers, thereby preventing them from extracting the valuable carvings.
The two G-ds then spoke their names, Yoktarh and Kohlarh, stating that they were once Princes of a Khaz-Modani Statelet which lay in these lands but had since fallen, and these obelisks were among the last monuments to the glory which once was this unknown kingdom. The two tradesmen found their wealth, however, and became the first acolytes of Yoktarh and Kohlarh- the two brothers and princes of the unknown kingdom, who taught tolerance and wisdom.
Both Yoktarh and Kohlarh now have a small cult following in Modan-Lach, and their oracles are known as Nyambuu, where priests stand inside hollowed out columns and speak from the wisdom of a mysterious gas expelled from the stones collected by the ruins near the original obelisks in the Lywind-Laqi borderlands. This gas makes the priests go into a hypnotic trance and tell the faithful their futures.
Yoktarh and Kohlarh are but minor G-ds in the grand Cedrist pantheon, and 80% of their followers are ethnically Laqi. Nothing is known of them save for this tale, and a small translated epithet which can still be seen written on the ancient obelisks themselves, in the lonesome valley where the G-ds appeared all those years ago.

' Although you from the path may stray, the Princes' chords to chime
To summon you to their heavenly feast, and partake for all of time'

This has been interpreted in many different ways, but every 12th of December Yoktarh and Kohlarh are celebrated in a grand feast in which the food is hidden beforehand in various places around the city. The Princes, as G-ds of lost objects, are then summoned to find the food, which is then offered to them.
Henceforth, the Princes are known as the 'jolly fat bastards' by their followers, who can be seen by their well-maintained and perfumed double chins, representing the dichotomy of the two G-ds and their wisdom.
Yoktarh and Kohlarh's father in the typical Cedrist pantheon is the crispy G-d of chicken B'Caw... their mother is aparrently a KFC bucket, though this has never been established in any historical sources.

That's my rant of insobriety for today.
Regards,
Hadjimehmetov

Erik Mortis

Re: Their Holinesses Yoktarh and Kohlarh

Post by Erik Mortis »

Is there any particular reason you can't say "gods"?

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Respect for religious traditions. There are people who will not, cannot, write the word "God" or "gods".

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

umm... that's kinda stupid in this situation.

We aren't even talking about THAT god. Which was the only situation where it applied. Talking about a god or gods outside the Abrahamic god that way doesn't make sense. Hell, it might even be more offending to your god then saying "god" or "gods". As you put these "false" gods on the same level as yours..

(yes.. I'm in one of THOSE moods tonight where I wanna argue about everything)

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

OK.

I just think its easier to respect someone's RL religious beliefs.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

I may not be talking about an Abrahamic deity, but the concept is still there, and as such I just prefer to apply that rule.
As far as writing G-d is concerned, it's just a way of appreciating that English doesn't have the same distinction as Hebrew as naming Abrahamic deities (Adonai, Eloheinu etc), and I still believe that applies for me whenever I use that word in English. I don't mind debating this, Jacobus- It's interesting :)

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

If I were you I'd have written it g-d. To me (as a Christian) it seems terribly innapropriate to refer to anyone but God with a capital G - whereas god designates a variety of lesser or entirely false beings.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

That's my usual usage. Unless I'm referring to a god in a title sort of way God of War, Goddess of Life...etc.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

I recommend those of you interested read this on the subject of the 'G-d' and how to write it debate.

They've also kindly written that
if you disagree with another poster's decision to omit or include the hyphen, you should not publicly criticize or ridicule said poster.
:no

That aside, what does anyone actually think about Yoktarh and Kohlarh? I'm designing the sacred Obelisk :)

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I'm a little confuse what they are gods of.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

I don't mind debating this, Jacobus- It's interesting
Good. Whew.

We have a good time with the local dieties.

I just didn't want to see any trouble for those who honor the tradtional ways of the ancient wisdom. Especially this week. ;)

My wife has interesting stories on the Names of G-d.

Now, for that obelisk.......

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

I just see using 'G-d' is a kind of extension of the Hebrew YHWH- because English has just one name for the supreme deity where as Hebrew has numerous more ones about the various aspects of G-d through which we can comprehend the infinite concept... hence how, as finite beings, many Rabbis have argued that if we invoke the name G-d/YHWH, it's presumtuous since we believe ourselves able to comprehend an infinite concept. I happen to agree with those more traditionalist Rabbis, hence why I write G-d, as opposed to... nearly got me there, lol! :no
Anyway... Wikipedia probably says it better than I can.

Yoktarh and Kohlarh are the G-ds of mystery and lost objects- this drawn from the mysterious location in which their obelisk was found. Comprende? :)

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Works for me.

But that G-D thing breaks down for Cedrism, because one of the core tenets of the religion is that mortals CAN comprehend the gods. Mortals can become gods themselves some day. That is one of the goals of mortals, to transcend to the divine, thus to say mortals cannot comprehend the gods goes against the religion.

Return to “B0O0/\/\ist Temple”