Ducal Convention.

Erik Mortis

Ducal Convention.

Post by Erik Mortis »

We need a government. I was thinking we could work out a Goldenbrook Convention which would outline the expectations, rights and responsibilities of the Nobles and the Duke. A kind of constitution or charter if you will.

I think it's important that we find a balance between the needs and power of the lesser nobles and the needs and powers of the Duke.

AryezturMejorkhor

Re: Ducal Convention.

Post by AryezturMejorkhor »

I say that instead of trying to set everything up rigidly in a Constitution, we let developments happen naturally and figure out the rules in an ad-hoc manner based on precedent. Sort of like England.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Yeah.. about that..

Well, that's kinda what I had in mind here. Not a rigid constitution like thing.. more like... a contract. Basicly a list of agreements between the Nobles and the Duke things like Nobles won't rebel against the Duke. And the Duke will not go get the duchy into a fight without approval from the Nobles... etc.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Sounds good.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

Agreed.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Right.. then I'll start with what I want as duke. And you can tell me what you want as Nobles.

1. No rebellion against me. I know I cause issues in the past myself, but we should be a united duchy.

2. No fighting other subdivisions unless we have all agreed to it. We should move as a unit, as a whole. If one of us gets in a fight, we should all be going in together.

3. If I call on you to fight, I want to with me. I'd be willing to grant the Kehl power to approve this.

4. Taxes: eventually we will have to pay taxes as a Duchy again. I will expect the barons to pay at least half, collectively.

5. I want to be consulted when it comes to appointing heirs and assigning the counties you have in fief.

6. Only the duke can bestow the title of Baron. The title won't inherently grant lands. It is a title of Lesser Nobility, not an inherent governorship.

7. Civility between each other. We are all part of this duchy, We are all nobles and as such should show each other respect. I don't want to see anyone trolling other people baronies or counties making trouble.

I might have more later. What you all got?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I assent to all points. My list is:

1. I get to retain Greater Lakhesis as it is now. Counties and stuff can be discussed.

2. That most actions go through the Great Kehl if practical. Doesn't have to be a binding vote or anything, but I do want to at least see consultation.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I've already agreed to 1. So it need not be put in a permanent writing.

I can agree to 2. When practical, I will bring matters before the Kehl. Does this include Landsraad matters?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

If we barons don't have votes, I think I would like to be consulted in the Kehl regarding Landsraad votes.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Then on matters not concerning procedure or routine business (Treaties and such) in the Landsraad I should consult with the Kehl, if I have not given votes to any of the Barons?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Agreed, although I will proly give my opinion there even if you don't ask for it. :)
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Draft.
Ducal Convention of Goldenbrook

1. Lesser Nobles of Goldenbrook shall not rebel against the Duke.

2. The Lesser Nobles of Goldenbrook shall not engage in armed conflict with other subdivisions without the support of the Duke.

3. The Duke may call upon all Lesser Nobles to provide troops and support in an armed conflict.

4. The Lesser Nobles, in collective, shall pay half of all taxes levied against the Duchy of Goldenbrook.

5. Lesser Nobles must consult with the Duke when appointing heirs and assigning counties they hold in fief.

6. Only the duke can bestow the title of Baron. This title shall not automatically grant a fief to the holder.

7. All Lesser Nobles shall remain civil to each other and toward the Duke of Goldenbrook. This civility extends to all aspects of the Duchy including the Kehl.

8. On matters not concerning procedure or routine business in the Landsraad the Duke shall consult with the Kehl, if the duke has not given votes to any of the Lesser Nobles. The Duke should still consult the Kehl even if votes have been distributed.
Anything from the other barons?

AryezturMejorkhor

I would prefer there be no 4, 5, and 6.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

AryezturMejorkhor

But I can live with them for now.

Like Malliki, I wish to hold my Barony, Khorze, intact.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

All current baronies will be left intact.

4 is so I don't have to shoulder the entire burden when taxes come round (which they will soon). I'm still gonna have to pay half myself.

5. is because titles are important and shouldn't just go to ANYONE. Why should someone who showed up yesterday get to be a Baron?

6. Just makes sense. I'm Duke, only I should get to give out titles and land.

Return to “The Great Kehl”