RE: old global warming discussion

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Kaiser Hasan I

Re: RE: old global warming discussion

Post by Kaiser Hasan I »

Ardy, if you were god, the condition of the world would make a lot more sense. It would at least justify some of the horrors of it.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Curiously people always seem set against the notion of a malevolent god. Must be another consequence on anthrocentrism. We exist, we are good (or so our vanity pursuades us) therefore god must be good.

Kaiser Hasan I

Post by Kaiser Hasan I »

Good must always prevail in order for hope to exist. If good was not the ultimate power, people would be much more likely to be atheist. Fortunately no one can prove either way.

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Why must good *always* prevail? I'm pretty sure it only always prevails in my case. :p
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Good is the harmony that encourages mutual preservation. Good can prevail among atheists providing they wish for themselves and their fellows to survive and live happy lives...

Kaiser Hasan I

Post by Kaiser Hasan I »

Yes but there are very few who choose to accept evil/bad as the ultimate power. Those that do are usually delusional.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Yet those who accept evil as the ultimate power usually end up like Aleister Crowley eating their own faeces in entirely fabricated black rites.

The true ultimate power is mediocrity.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Yes but there are very few who choose to accept evil/bad as the ultimate power.
Their holidays would really suck.

The latter turn of the discussion reminds me of two Asimov short stories, neither of which I can find on-line yet.....

Well, here's one of them

http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html

Kaiser Hasan I

Post by Kaiser Hasan I »

I'll have to read that, never got into Asimov. Read FKD but his stuff is basically schizophrenic, so its all the same. Wanted to read some Asimov but didn't know a good place to start.

The idea of ultimate evil being the destiny controller has never really been looked at seriously. I'm glad of it, aside from their holidays the philosophy itself would look like an off-strip Las Vegas weekend I'm sure.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Caves of Steel is where I started. then the rest of the trilogy, then into the empire trilogy then into the foundation trillogy. and somewhere in there started picking up the prequels and subsequent books... and stuff.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Kaiser Hasan I wrote:I'll have to read that, never got into Asimov. Read FKD but his stuff is basically schizophrenic, so its all the same. Wanted to read some Asimov but didn't know a good place to start.

The idea of ultimate evil being the destiny controller has never really been looked at seriously. I'm glad of it, aside from their holidays the philosophy itself would look like an off-strip Las Vegas weekend I'm sure.

It would be more like a pairing of an onstrip Las Vagas weekend with the events of any book by the Marquis de Sade that you'd care to pick out.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

In other words, boring as "Hell". :whip

Kaiser Hasan I

Post by Kaiser Hasan I »

I'm no Rocket Surgeon, but I would like to see some additional research. I'm always careful with journalism that begins with a postulation.

I do know that polar bears are cross breeding with Grizzly Bears in Northern Canada because they're migrating south. Something they just don't do. I also know first hand, that northern communities in Canada are seeing flooding where there was no flooding before. For the rest of you, this means hell is on the way, but for anyone with land in the arctic region, it means that we stand to prosper. Most of Canada's land is uninhabitable or unusable due to Permafrost, now that the permafrost isn't so perma anymore, we can increase agriculture and inhabitation by huge amounts. Of course, all of this depends on whether the Americans buy all of our land and resources first and whether other countries respect our claim to the NorthWest Passage. Which also means increasing our ability to back-up that claim.

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

If you want some evidence of effect, look at the deterioration of the Arctic ice cap. I heard that some scientists are predicting that it'll disappear either this summer or next summer, and that it won't be there at all in 20 years, even during the winter.

EDIT: Nevermind, Erik beat me.

EDIT2: Either way, just wait until Greenland gives way. I'm sort of glad that I moved 150 miles inland.

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Which country do you live in? With the internet, citizens can live almost anywhere on the planet, and no one would be able to tell.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

We can always try this as a long term survival strategy

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

----nevermind------ :evil

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”