Wherein I discuss physics with Spangle

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Ari Rahikkala

Wherein I discuss physics with Spangle

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

23:42 < dr-spangle> CAN I WIRE A RESISTOR IN AFTER AN LED, WILL THAT STILL PROTECT IT?
23:43 <@ari> AS OPPOSED TO WHAT?
23:43 < dr-spangle> WIRING A RESISTOR IN BEFORE AN LED?
23:44 <@ari> AS IN, IF - MEANS LEAD/WIRE/WHATEVER, R MEANS RESISTOR, L MEANS LED, WIRING -R-L- AS OPPOSED TO -L-R-?
23:45 < dr-spangle> YUP
23:45 <@ari> dr-spangle.
23:46 < dr-spangle> *SIGHS*
23:46 < dr-spangle> ari.
23:46 <@ari> WHERE DID YOU LEARN ABOUT CIRCUITS?
23:47 < dr-spangle> IN THE SCHOOL OF TRIAL AND ERROR MOSTLY :D
23:47 * ari SHRUGS ABOUT IT
23:47 <@ari> ANYWAY, READ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws AND BE ENLIGHTENED
23:52 <@ari> ALSO, I HAD COMPLETELY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THESE THINGS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_kernel_names
23:52 <@ari> _S: EROTIC PICKLED HERRING
23:52 <@ari> dr-spangle: MAD LIBS Y/N
23:52 < _S> ari: ICEBREAKER: PICKLED ONION Y/N.
23:56 < dr-spangle> ari: Y
Day changed to 30 Nov 2010
00:00 <@ari> NIEC
00:00 <@ari> ALSO
00:00 <@ari> dr-spangle: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY Y/N
00:01 <@ari> dr-spangle: C-SYMMETRY OF ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERACTION Y/N
00:02 < dr-spangle> YY
00:03 <@ari> NOT THAT THE LATTER ONE REALLY HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CIRCUIT QUESTION
00:03 <@ari> JUST THOUGHT IT WAS APPROPRIATE TO MENTION
00:04 < dr-spangle> another led blew up...
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

CJ Miller

Re: Wherein I discuss physics with Spangle

Post by CJ Miller »

2.6.20-rc2–2.6.20– Homicidal Dwarf Hamster
2.6.23-rc4–2.6.23-rc6 Pink Farting Weasel
stable: 2.6.24.1– Err Metey! A Heury Beelge-a Ret!
2.6.25-rc2–2.6.25– Funky Weasel is Jiggy wit it
2.6.26-rc6–2.6.26–2.6.27– Rotary Wombat
2.6.29 Temporary Tasmanian Devil
2.6.30-rc7–2.6.30–2.6.31–2.6.32–2.6.33–2.6.34-rc4 Man-Eating Seals of Antiquity
2.6.34-rc5-2.6.34–2.6.35 Sheep on Meth

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Oh come on spangle, you should have known this one.

Kaiser Fish XII

Post by Kaiser Fish XII »

Lol, circuits. My best field of physics.

Artz

Post by Artz »

He did know it.. he was just checking it to be sure, to save money. Who wants to wire a circuit on thoughts that you're sure are right, but might not be, and then blow up whatever you're working on.. to go and buy more stuff over and over again?

Yay checking with people!

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Welcome back Artz.

Artz

Post by Artz »

Not really 'back'.. but thanks anyhow. I just occasionally look in here and think 'hey, I can reply to that!' and 'scarper' on out again.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

By the way, you can blame Icebreaker for me posting this thread. Usually I'd just go "icebreaker: RATE THIS" about something like this, but he was offline tonight :(
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Kaiser Fish XII

Artz wrote:He did know it.. he was just checking it to be sure, to save money.
But he blew up the LED anyway! :p

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Hey

The LED that broke was one that I had broken yesterday, well, one I discovered was broken yesterday, had ran some amount of voltage through it without a resistor, destroyed 2 LEDs, one of which was destroyed and I got rid of it, the other didn't work, but after I ran some current through it for a bit, sprang back to life.

That was the LED I discovered to be broken.

Just so happens I had a spare LED in case that happened, as I was dubious on how reliable it would be after it had died and then been brought back for no good reason, and as such, I brought 2 LEDs when I went into town, so it was a simple case of replacing it, and now the circuit works, and the following one, and the one after it almost works maybe but that's an issue for later, when I blow up a laser diode, which you will happily be able to laugh about because I had that shipped from hong kong... but I'm hoping it doesn't explode...

But yeah, as you probably know, I'm studying mathematics, as my scottish lecturer stated "Mathematicians are professional paranoid pedants." You're not allowed to assume a thing in mathematics, everything is proven to a very defined level and if it's really important for anything, it's proven at least 2 or 3 times. So I decided to not assume circuits are commutative, because quite frankly quite a bit of what one might expect to be isn't.

And there's the overly convoluted background to the situation.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Okay, well, there's a fine line between healthy academic curiosity and trying to reprove the wheel (... or whatever). Since you're playing with this stuff in the first place, I'm sticking with my statement you should have known better. There isn't really a "before" and "after" in a circuit, after all.

Kaiser Fish XII

dr-spangle wrote:But yeah, as you probably know, I'm studying mathematics, as my scottish lecturer stated "Mathematicians are professional paranoid pedants." You're not allowed to assume a thing in mathematics, everything is proven to a very defined level and if it's really important for anything, it's proven at least 2 or 3 times. So I decided to not assume circuits are commutative, because quite frankly quite a bit of what one might expect to be isn't.
I'm am too, I've read through Euclid's Elements and Newton's Principia and countless other mathematics texts, I'm a year or so from a Bachelor's in Mathematics, and I'm taking a couple really fun math classes next term, such as Cryptography and Theory of Numbers. You learn to appreciate the things you can assume, sonny.

Artz

Post by Artz »

Lay off, Harvey.. You're telling me you never asked someone to clarify something? You've used a tag question, haven't you? (^_^ oh yus I just did..).. you never checked with someone else anything you knew, just to be sure.. peh

and sonny?...
We all respect both things taken for granted, and those of calculations, you little-young-rascal, bonny lad, sonny jim, little one, sonny Kaiser Fish.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Wow, really? So expecting a known clever, talented guy to have basic circuit knowledge when he's building circuits gets me the defensive girlfriend routine? I'm sorry, I'll guess I'll try to lower my opinion of Spangle, which is a shame because he's done a lot of good stuff and hard work to get it that high to begin with.

Spangle, Ari's right about reading up on the theories and a few equations. It won't take more than an hour or so and should be pretty helpful for clearing up murky questions like this.

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Harvey Steffke wrote:a known clever, talented guy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Artz

Post by Artz »

Harvey Steffke wrote:Wow, really? So expecting a known clever, talented guy to have basic circuit knowledge when he's building circuits gets me the defensive girlfriend routine? I'm sorry, I'll guess I'll try to lower my opinion of Spangle, which is a shame because he's done a lot of good stuff and hard work to get it that high to begin with.
Well then....I guess I'll just have to heighten my opinion of spangle to compensate for your lowering... which is a shame really cause I know how fond you are of him.

Stroppy.
Just cause you can't pull off an awesome tag question..

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Hmm. It would appear that there is a Law of Conservation of Respect of Spangle, whereupon one decrease of respect for Spangle must be accompanied by an increase of respect for Spangle, and that the total respect for Spangle in the universe is finite. And apparently not very large.

Kaiser Fish XII

Most of it is the mysterious, undetectable Dark Respect for Spangle

Gil'les Mel'ang

Post by Gil'les Mel'ang »

Stick a resistor on both sides of it and you have protected against reverse power supplies. Remember, a resistor is essentially just a line that has really poor conduction.

Oh, and Kudos to Spangle for his genius on display yet again.

Kaiser Fish XII

Gil'les Mel'ang wrote:Stick a resistor on both sides of it and you have protected against reverse power supplies.
Ummm...doesn't quite work that way...

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”