Linux on the desktop dead

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Gil'les Mel'ang

Linux on the desktop dead

Post by Gil'les Mel'ang »

Like a lot of tech-savvy folks, I've used Ubuntu and expect to see Unix used at work. However this article I believe makes the good point that Linux is still not ready for the home user's desktop:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... ?tk=hp_new

Icebreaker

Re: Linux on the desktop dead

Post by Icebreaker »

Gil'les Mel'ang wrote:Like a lot of tech-savvy folks, I've used Ubuntu and expect to see Unix used at work. However this article I believe makes the good point that Linux is still not ready for the home user's desktop:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... ?tk=hp_new
DIE PLZ

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

WELL ACTUALLY, I'LL GRACE YOU WITH A BIT OF A LONGER EXPLANATION:

NOBODY GIVES A SHIT ABOUT WHETHER LINUX IS "READY FOR THE DESKTOP" EXCEPT FOR HIGH-SCHOOL KIDS THAT ARE CONSTANTLY TRYING TO CONVERT THEIR WEARY FRIENDS. AS LONG AS UPDATES KEEP COMING FROM UPSTREAM (WHICH THEY WILL MORE OR LESS REGARDLESS OF THE SIZE OF THE USER BASE), THEN THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO USE THE CODE WILL. OTHERS WON'T. THAT'S OKAY.

ALSO, A LOT OF "TECH-SAVVY FOLKS" USE UBUNTU BECAUSE IT IS PRETTY MUCH IDIOTPROOF AND THEY LIKE BRAGGING ABOUT USING IT, WHILE PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING ARE PROBABLY USING DEBIAN IF THEY WANT UBUNTU'S PACKAGE SELECTION WITHOUT ALL THE GNOME BULLSHIT.

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

I use Fedora and openly admit that I have no idea what I'm doing. If anything goes wrong, I'm just going to bang the computer with my fists.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

I miss Gentoo.

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”