ENOUGH FUCKING AROUND

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Icebreaker

ENOUGH FUCKING AROUND

Post by Icebreaker »

CAN WE GET A DIPLOMACY GAME GOING, PLEASE?

I'LL EVEN RUN IT, BUT NO BULLSHIT SHIREROTH MAPS OR WEIRD MODS. EUROPE, 1901, THE END.

Icebreaker

Re: ENOUGH FUCKING AROUND

Post by Icebreaker »

HEY YOU, YEAH YOU! I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS. WHY HAVEN'T YOU REPLIED YET?

I NEED SEVEN MORE PEOPLE, AND WHILE IT'S UNFORTUNATE, SOMEONE'S GONNA HAVE TO BE AUSTRIA-HUNGARY. JUST THE WAY IT GOES, BOYS.

EDIT: #MIRCONATIONS SEEMS TO THINK IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU MAY NOT KNOW WHAT DIPLOMACY IS. SEEMS RIDICULOUS TO ME REALLY, BUT I SUPPOSE IT COULD HAPPEN.

SO, DIPLOMACY IS A BOARD GAME. THERE'S SEVEN PLAYERS, EACH REPRESENTING A DIFFERENT PRE-WWI EUROPEAN POWER. THE GAME IS BASICALLY ABOUT LYING, BACKSTABBING, SHIFTING ALLIANCES, ETC.

MORE HERE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(game)

Aster

Post by Aster »

CAPS CAPS CAPS - A GREAT WAY TO GET ATTENTION WHEN YOU AREN'T BEING REPLIED TO. Nah, just joking, but cool yer jets big man, set em to idle

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

In!

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Aster wrote:CAPS CAPS CAPS - A GREAT WAY TO GET ATTENTION WHEN YOU AREN'T BEING REPLIED TO. Nah, just joking, but cool yer jets big man, set em to idle
HI, YOU MUST BE NEW HERE.

REGARDLESS, YOU IN?

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Dibs Austria-Hungary.

Aster

Post by Aster »

NO SORRY I'VE REALLY GOT TOO MUCH TO DO - BUT THANKS ANYWAY I MIGHT JOIN IN ANOTHER GAME. DIPLOMACY FTW!

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Assuming it's going to be done at a rate of one turn every few days, so that it doesn't require much time or commitment, sure.

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

AYE, I WAS THINKING PROBABLY FIVE DAYS OR SO PER TURN.

ALSO, GET ON #MICRONATIONS FGT

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Dibs on Russia.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

WHAT ABOUT ANDREAS? I SEE HIM POKING AROUND, WHY ISN'T HE IN?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Cause he's fucking around.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Icebreaker wrote:WHAT ABOUT ANDREAS? I SEE HIM POKING AROUND, WHY ISN'T HE IN?
Because I rarely check this forum, and still haven't learnt how to play Diplomacy. I don't think online would be the best way to learn.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

SO WHAT, YOU'RE GONNA WAIT UNTIL YOU FIND SOMEONE IRL THAT CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO PLAY, ALONG WITH FIVE OTHER PEOPLE THAT ARE WILLING TO GIVE IT A GO, AND ALL YOUR SCHEDULES WILL COINCIDE SO YOU CAN SPEND EIGHT HOURS TOGETHER IN SOME GUY'S BASEMENT?

C'MON ANDREAS, YOU KNOW THAT SOUNDS SILLY.

IT'LL BE A FRIENDLY GAME, IF I'M RUNNING IT YOU'LL BE FREE TO ASK ME QUESTIONS ANY TIME. I DOUBT ANYONE THAT'S SIGNED UP IS A DIPLOMACY PRO ANYWAY. DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT HERE.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Is this going to be run via e-mail or what?
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Icebreaker wrote:SO WHAT, YOU'RE GONNA WAIT UNTIL YOU FIND SOMEONE IRL THAT CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO PLAY, ALONG WITH FIVE OTHER PEOPLE THAT ARE WILLING TO GIVE IT A GO, AND ALL YOUR SCHEDULES WILL COINCIDE SO YOU CAN SPEND EIGHT HOURS TOGETHER IN SOME GUY'S BASEMENT?

C'MON ANDREAS, YOU KNOW THAT SOUNDS SILLY.

IT'LL BE A FRIENDLY GAME, IF I'M RUNNING IT YOU'LL BE FREE TO ASK ME QUESTIONS ANY TIME. I DOUBT ANYONE THAT'S SIGNED UP IS A DIPLOMACY PRO ANYWAY. DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT HERE.
Fine, but you'll have to explain all the rules to me.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Allot

Post by Allot »

Can I be Belgium?
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Well, Icebreaker decided he'd rather play instead (;)), and wanted me to run this thing. Well OK, I guess! But since I don't have any clue wtf about this game, I'm going to just ape everything this guy did in running a Diplomacy game (including the choice of software).
Bellmaker wrote: Rules Summary
I am only going to summarize the rules here. I recommend anyone unfamiliar with the rules should go and read up if you're interested in playing a bigger part in this LP: Diplomacy rules. I prefer the 2000 version, but the rules are all the same (hey, I like pretty pictures).

Objective:
The object of the game is to control 18 Supply Centers (territories marked with a circle, shaded by their controller). You do not have to have a unit in a supply center to control it. It belongs to the last person to occupy the territory.

Each turn covers half a year- Spring 1901, Fall 1901, Spring 1902, etc. On each turn, you will get time to discuss strategy, alliances, and double crosses. You will then submit orders for your troops. All orders will resolve simultaneously, resulting in some unexpected surprises for everyone involved.

There are two types of units- Armies(A) (shaded territories) and Fleets(F) (shaded territories with a black square). Only one unit of a given player may occupy a territory (no stacking). Each can only move one space a turn (unless a convoy occurs, see below).

A unit can be given one of four orders each turn:
-Hold
-Move
-Support
-Convoy (fleets only)

Hold
If you do not give a unit an order, it is considered to be holding. It will defend to the best of its ability.

Move
Armies can move between land spaces. For example,

Austria: A Vie-Tyr

means the army in Vienna(Vie) will try to move to Tyrolia(Tyr).

Fleets can move from coastal space to coastal space, ocean space to ocean space, or one to the other. The fleet currently in Brest at the start of the game can make any of the following moves:

F Bre-Mao, F Bre-Eng, F Bre-Pic, or F Bre-Gas. Note that France cannot do F Bre-Par as you cannot move a fleet to an inland space.

Moving into a contested/occupied space results in combat. Combat is a simple numbers game. Every unit is of equal strength. If a unit tries to move into an occupied space, it fails. If two units try to move into the same space, they both fail. If the following orders were given...

Germany: A Ber-Sil
Russia: A War-Sil
Austria: A Vie-Boh

...the German and Russian units hold position as it is a standoff (they have the same strength, so neither is allowed to conquer Silesia). There is no one stopping Austria's unit from moving into Bohemia, so that order succeeds. This is what the result would look like.

Support
The key to combat is support. You can have an unit support a move action into a space that they could move that turn, giving the moving unit more "strength". In that same scenario, if the orders were like this...

Germany: A Ber-Sil
A Mun S A Ber-Sil
Russia : A War-Sil
Austria: A Vie-Boh

...the army in Berlin would move into Silesia, as it has the "strength" of two units with the support of the unit in Munich. The Russian army in Warsaw is forced to hold, and the Austrian move into Bohemia is unaffected.

A unit cannot support a moving unit if it is under attack from a country it isn't supporting an move towards. If Italy had an army in Tyrolia and ordered A Tyr-Mun that turn, the unit in Munich could not support the unit moving into Silesia. This would result in a standoff for control of Silesia, forcing the units in Berlin and Warsaw to hold.

Your units can be supported by another Power's unit with or without your consent. Sometimes your "friends" may help you out when you really don't want it...

A unit can also support a holding unit, giving it the "strength" of an extra defender. It would take three units (one attacking, two supporting) for the attacking country to overcome the defender in this case, and one more supporter for each additional "defender".

All dislodged units must retreat one space simultaneously after all orders have been executed. They may not move into the space the attacker just left. If they can't move, or if two retreating units move to the same space, they are disbanded (removed from play).

Convoy
An army can move more than one space via a convoy. In this example, Italy has a fleet in Tys.

Italy wants to set up a base in Africa this turn. He could write the following order...

Italy: A Rom-Tun
F Tys C Rom-Tun

...to move his army in Rome(Rom) to Tunisia(Tun) in one turn.

If Italy had a fleet in Wes as well, he could use this order...

Italy: A Rom-Spa
F Tys C Rom-Spa
F Wes C Rom-Spa

...to move his army from Rome to Spain in one turn. Another Great Power can help convoy your army, but make sure all the fleets involved give the correct orders. "Mistakes" have been known to happen...

Reinforcements/Disbanding
Each Supply Center you control supports one of your units. After each Fall turn (every other turn), you will gain or lose units based on the number of Supply Centers you have. If you have more Centers than you did last Fall, you may place new units in your unoccupied home Supply Centers. If they are all occupied, you will have to wait until next Fall.

If you have less Centers than you did last Fall, you will have to remove units from the board until you have one for each Center you control.

Diplomacy
Diplomacy is the key to the game. You are only bound by your submitted orders each turn. You are not required to follow any other verbal or written agreements. Promises, lying, manipulation, and backstabbing are all fair game. However, they're also fair game to everyone else...

That's pretty much it! This should get you through about 95% of all movement and conflict resolution, barring more complicated chain reactions and stuff. You shouldn't have any problems following along at home :)
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Ryan wrote:Is this going to be run via e-mail or what?
PM or email. They both show up in my email inbox anyway.

If my calculations are correct, we have six players: Harvey, Ardy, Scott, Mike, Andreas, and Icebreaker. Soo... Ryan, Allot, either of one want to play?
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Sure, I'll play. Doesn't matter which country.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

OH, HELLO!

I CALL GERMANY, SO YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO BE HEARING A LOT FROM ME. ARI SAYS HE'LL PROBABLY START LATER TODAY.

YOU ALL CAN REACH ME ON THE #MICRONATIONS CHAT, WE CAN TALK THERE THROUGH PRIVMSGS OR WHATEVER. OTHERWISE, JUST SHOOT ME A PM HERE ON THE FORUMS.

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Can I has Italy?
Leo Fenrir

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Allot wrote:Can I be Belgium?
The Belgians will rule the EU... err... Europe. :evil
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Jonas wrote:
Allot wrote:Can I be Belgium?
The Belgians will rule the EU... err... Europe. :evil
As of today, they do. Congratulations on being France and Germany's non-threatening compromise candidate.

Ugly... so very very ugly...

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Forgive me, but I have to say this:

WE RULE! :evil

Oh, and every European knows that Blair would never have been chosen.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

For some reason I thought you were Dutch, Jonas. :document

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

Any room for more players?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Ryan wrote:For some reason I thought you were Dutch, Jonas. :document
:o

No... a proud Belgian. :)

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Someone has to be.

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”