Quotes List

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Scott of Hyperborea

Quotes List

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

For the past ten-ish years, I've been collecting all the interesting quotes I read on a big quotes list. This week I finally got around to formatting the list and putting it on the Internet. It's at http://www.raikoth.net/Scott/quotes.html

Andreas the Wise

Re: Quotes List

Post by Andreas the Wise »

If you are a good economist, a virtuous economist, you are reborn as a physicist. But if you are an evil,
wicked economist, you are reborn as a sociologist. -- An Indian economist, quoted by Paul Krugman
What an ideologically loaded statement (must be young Krugman)
I have discovered that all human evil comes from this, man's being unable to sit still in a room. -Blaise
Pascal
The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration
of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words. -- National Review[/quote:1pq5v6]
Colvard's Logical Premises: All probabilities are 50%. Either a thing will happen or it won't.
I've been telling people this for years ...
May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house. -- George Carlin
:demon
A rose by any other name would likely be "deadly thorn-bearing assault vegetation."
:D
Eight concerned parents in rural Georgia sue the local school district for teaching their children the
alphabet, which can be used to form dirty words. -- Dave Barry's Year In Review
:rolleyes
Reality and I had a fundamental differing of opinions. We're currently undergoing a trial separation.
Micronationalism for the win ....
Advocates of capitalism are very apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in
one maxim: The fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate. -- Bertrand
Russell
Sadly oh too true.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his
life. -- Terry Pratchett.
Gotta love Pratchett quotes. :angel
Life is the only game in which the object of the game is to learn the rules. -Ashleigh Brilliant
Poor sod's never heard of Mao then ....
I've always wanted to find a copy of "Ibid." It seems like EVERYTHING is in that book!
Oh, what a book ....

[quote:q5t9v6]You are not thinking, you are merely being logical! -- Niels Bohr
The times I've needed to say this ...
When Cthulhu calls, he calls collect.
:evil
His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans - and
summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, "You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw
him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink.
:yay:
Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy
Another good micronational principle.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Bush is one `m´ short of being a Latter Day Saint. -- St. Leo

OK, that one's just cheap.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

Scott:

"There are two kinds of people, those who finish what they start and so on." - Robert Byrne

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't - and those who understand ternary!

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

I have that shirt... or rather, the part with the binary. My dad got it for me as a prize at the end of a conference, where they were doing computer nerd questions, and he won the question of what happened in the year [binary string], and it was 1776.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

"He is no good above the ground. He should be beneath it, inspiring the cabbages."

Mark Twain

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Everyone threatens the wellbeing of Shireroth. Every single goddamn office, ministry, council and subdivision ever devised do nothing but create problems and points of contention. It is on these points of contention that activity and the life of a micronation thrives.
- Benkern,
A few moments ago in Elwynn

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”