Forum lay-out

For developing and managing the Commonwealth

Moderators: Chrimigules, Erik Mortis

Jonas

Forum lay-out

Post by Jonas »

The Small Commonwealth has proven to be a stable organisation. It also has its HQ in Shirekeep and its Assembly on the Shirerithian forum. That's why I would propose to install a different lay-out for the Small Commonwealth-fora. Let say that it needs to be a sign that the organisation isn't ruled by, but just in, Shireroth.
I like the Shirerithian layout, but even our subdivisions have different ones. I propose that it needs to stay simple (based onj the Shirerithian one): replacing the banner by the SC-logo and probably another background.

It's just an idea, don't shoot me for it. :p
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Nihill Romez

Re: Forum lay-out

Post by Nihill Romez »

I propose we don't use blue anymore :P .

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Lightblue perhaps?

Like this:

:angel
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

As the representative of Batavia I propose orange to be the main color used :thumbsup
Maximilian van Bunthe-Uné
High Representative of the Kingdom of Batavia to the Small Commonwealth

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Jonas, that's an amazing image. Do you have any objection to me using that in the Apollo Aurora?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Harvey Steffke wrote:Jonas, that's an amazing image. Do you have any objection to me using that in the Apollo Aurora?
No, of course not! Be my guest! :)

If it's for your banner, I can change it a bit if you want (justtell me the size you would like).

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Jonas, I like that image but I think it's too... well... big to be used on the forum.

Anyways, maybe something like this? I have no idea what to use as background so it's just black for now, and replacing all of the blueness and bubbliness would actually take some time, so, yeah, that's what I have right now. Malarbor had to go because, well, you know, what kind of an "administratively neutral" organisation would have a Shirithian deity at its top yelling about how it owns everything?
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

That image wasn't meant as banner, more for a homepage... :angel

I don't like the black background. The forum is too dark, making me a bit depressive. :p
Give it something lighter, the blue in my picture for example, or just white.

You could Malarbor be replaced with a small announcement box of the Primate, or atleast a kind welcome (possibly in Dutch and English ;) ).

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

You could Malarbor be replaced with a small announcement box of the Primate, or atleast a kind welcome (possibly in Dutch and English ;) ).
Oooh, we totally need a monkey mascot for the "Primate Says" box :)

(note to Dutch and other non-English speakers: in English, the word "primate" can mean either "leader of an organization", or "a family of animals including monkeys".)

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:
Oooh, we totally need a monkey mascot for the "Primate Says" box :)

(note to Dutch and other non-English speakers: in English, the word "primate" can mean either "leader of an organization", or "a family of animals including monkeys".)
The same in Dutch: 'Primaat' means a family of animals including monkeys but is also 'the first' (the leader). The monkey-idea isn't bad! :thumbsup

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

I've been barely restraining myself against making monkey jokes for a long time now. I'm glad we can finally come out with it.

*throws a banana*

Arviður

Post by Arviður »

Beautiful image, Jonas! Though no Hurmu flag on it ;)
Arviður úr Ansinum
President of the Court of Azarea
Baron of K'Tzuni

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Arviður wrote:Beautiful image, Jonas! Though no Hurmu flag on it ;)
I'm looking for that one. In fact, the flag beneath the Nelagan flag (the bird) temporary replaces the one of Hurmu. If you deliver me a flag, I can add it. :thumbsup

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Well, one thing I could do is just replicate the whole Malarbor-style experience with...

- the Imperial Republic of Shireroth banner replaced with a SC banner, to be produced by someone competent with banners
- the Malarbor picture replaced with a monkey picture, to be found by someone competent with monkey pictures
- the Malarbor text be replaced with "The Primate Says:" with... eh, I doubt we're going to need more than a static message, but I can reproduce the forum-updateability feature for the Primate box too if it seems there will be a need. To be written by someone competent with primate messages.
- the links in the menubar replaced with... hm... say, take out the RSS, calendar and perhaps the Wiki link, and replace the "Friendly nations" in the dropbox with "Commonwealth nations", that sound good?
- the colours and background replaced with I have no idea what. I'm not happy with just ideas here - I'm terrible with colours. A mockup of what it should look like would be nice. To be composed by someone competent with forum colours :p

Arviður

Post by Arviður »

Thanks!

There you go :)
Arviður úr Ansinum
President of the Court of Azarea
Baron of K'Tzuni

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

About the banner: I just made something for Aurora. I could do it if you give me the size of the image.

EDIT: will add the flag. :thumbsup

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Well, that would be... I dunno, actually. The thing I like about the Shireroth logo is that with its transparent background and slightly irregular shape (as in "not a perfect rectangle", regardless of that the backing image is obviously rectangular), you can just toss it on the background, give it a bit of margin, and start with the page content. No muss, no fuss, works with different background colours, doesn't require wrapping the content at a certain width, and so forth. You'll also note that the same style of disconnected boxes continues right down through the page. I have no idea how to integrate a banner that doesn't pretty much look like the Shireroth logo into this design.

So, in so many words, if you want to make a banner, you can pretty much decide its width yourself, and unless you come up with a header layout that looks pretty with the banner being narrower than the content, the width of that banner will then determine the width of the content. Or, you can make one in the same style as the Shireroth logo, which will make my life easier because I can just recycle the current layout.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I would prefer lighter colours myself.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

"Primat" in Swedish means only "member of a family of animals containing monkeys". It could be used as the title for a leader, perhaps, but it would be very confusing for average Swedes.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

So... translate it into something that means "Guy in charge."

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Erik Mortis wrote:I would prefer lighter colours myself.
Indeed.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Haha I just gave the Swedish example, as Jonas did for the Dutch. "Guy in charge" in Swedish is usually called "Chef", which looks pretty funny in English.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Actually, well, come to think of it, a lot of what I said there is bullshit. :D

Take Nelaga's forum for instance. http://bill3000.net/nelaga - it's the default subsilver2 layout plus an announcement box, and the disconnected banner doesn't look bad at all in there. I can reproduce that easily (and either a Nelaga-ish or Shireroth-ish header layout would work for me... as would anything else someone mocks up and I know how to reproduce, really). So, uh, if you just want to know how to big to make the banner, can't go wrong with 363px × 94px then, doesn't have to be precise though :p

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Couldn't you just pick any one of a million different existing styles, Ari, and then add the SC banner etc? Or is all your code perfectly integrated for the Shirithian forum and you'd prefer just changing style sheets?

I like the acid-tech series myself (I find a darker forum style is easier on the eyes when reading long posts). You could just replace the hazard sign with the SC Tree (or a banner)
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

No, installing a style should be easy. I was considering recommending Jonas or someone to pick one from http://www.phpbb.com/styles/db/ (or the site you linked, I guess), but the thing is, the board style and the header layout are fairly separate things and I'm more concerned with the former than the latter here. For instance, the Malarbor style itself has never really changed much over the years, but the header layout has, aplenty. And the banner has to go together with the header layout.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

A primate like this? Or maybe this? (I'm trying to find a more Malarbor style image of the Librarian)
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I hate the Acid-style. Too dark, not my kind of thing. :fish

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Honestly. Let's just pick one at random. It seems a bit trivial to me.

Allot

Post by Allot »

Andreas the Wise wrote:A primate like this? Or maybe this? (I'm trying to find a more Malarbor style image of the Librarian)
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Maximilian

Post by Maximilian »

Erik Mortis wrote:So... translate it into something that means "Guy in charge."
Alpha Monkey?
Maximilian van Bunthe-Uné
High Representative of the Kingdom of Batavia to the Small Commonwealth

Return to “Small Commonwealth”