Is there anything we want to learn together?

Classes about all manner of topics of interest to Shirerithians
Ari Rahikkala

Is there anything we want to learn together?

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

You know, knowledge and skills that nobody's particularly awesome at, at least in the "teach it to others" sense. Stuff that nobody here can really write lectures or assign homework about, more like stuff that takes some effort and motivation to learn and is good to figure out together, see how everyone's doing, etc.. Dunno what stuff though. Cooking? Cooking the local foods of Shirithians? Lucid dreaming? 3d modelling? Pixel art? Time management? Micrasian geography? Russian? Starcraft? Knowing how to remember if someone has come up with an idea beforehand when you have a nagging feeling you're not the first one to present it?
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Daniel Farewell

Re: Is there anything we want to learn together?

Post by Daniel Farewell »

Let's learn Esperanto :)

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I want to know how Scott made his Shirerithian map. :p
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Jonas: Oh! Right! Sorry! I forgot about that!

Go to Cartography Guild tutorials and read as many good ones as you have time for.

Then go to Cartography Guild downloads and grab a few grass textures, a few good ocean textures (I love the "rich sea") one, and the mountain brush for Photoshop.

Ari: In answer to your question, I would love to learn really really GOOD 3D modelling - ie the sort of skills it takes to go from something workable but basic like this to something extraordinarily (and to me, unmanageably) complex like this.

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

I'd like to learn French (properly) rather than bungling around with out verb tenses.

Falkner van der Sluijs

Post by Falkner van der Sluijs »

I'm with Scott on the 3D modelling thing, too. It would probably be very handy for Project Jötunn.

Although, to be fair, my 3D modelling stuff isn't even quite at Scott's level. And all I've really used is Google SketchUp. I have Autodesk Maya 206 Ultimate, but I have no idea how to work that...
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Corey: Jotunn is a spaceship or military vehicle of some sort, right? Have I referred you to DOGA-3D yet? It's a free program centered around futuristic vehicle design. It's not the most versatile thing in the world, and I wouldn't want to try to make a forest scene with it, but it's really good at what it does.

(the site is in Japanese, but just katakana your way to the download link and the program's pretty intuitive. There might be another version in English somewhere)

Falkner van der Sluijs

Post by Falkner van der Sluijs »

I got the english version of DOGA finally (fortunately, I can't find L2 or L3 to steal). It's pretty easy to use, but I feel like I'd be copying someone else's stuff using it. We'll see what I can do with it, thanks.
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth
Swnndyrrr Ytteirsal
Perennial Ghoti

Elliot Markham

Post by Elliot Markham »

Yes. How we can all be friends. :D

Return to “Sir John Metzler III University”