SCX - Dividends

Moderator: Andreas the Wise

Andreas the Wise

SCX - Dividends

Post by Andreas the Wise »

The SCX is absolutely delighted to announce that dividends are now here.

Profit
Every company now posts a profit statement, available from their Company Details and History page. Their profit is determined on a variety of factors both within and outside of the SCX. Their profit statement will be updated 14 days before they are due to release dividends.

Dividends
Every sixty days, a company will release dividends if they have positive profits. Each company has a dividend rate (very soon changeable by the CEO) between 0 and 1, which determines what proportion of their profits they pay out in dividends. This amount will then be divided between all their shareholders to get the dividend rate payable per stock owned. Dividends are a great way to increase your credits on hand without having to sell your stock. All dividends are paid out in credits.

Retained Earnings
The proportion of profits not paid out as dividends is kept as Retained Earnings. This amount is reinvested in the company and will help them grow more and make higher profits in the future. Each CEO must decide how much they want to trade off current profits for future profits.

All the info on each company's profits, dividends and retained earnings can be found on their Company History and Details page (though remember you have to select an exchange first to see the companies on it).

While the SCX is delighted to bring you dividends, this is just the start of our new plans. Over the next few weeks, we hope to bring out a host of new and improved features, including a notification system to alert you when your companies post profits and dividends; and a Regulars Lounge, which will include factsheets of SCX data as well as a host of exciting characters who may be able to help you get ahead - for the right price. And don't forget that for this week only our trade in rate for credits has been raised to 75 for normal users and 115 for regular users. Don't delay - buy in today!
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Gil'les Mel'ang

Re: SCX - Dividends

Post by Gil'les Mel'ang »

This is a welcome feature. I'll make a small investment in Il Linear and YOM and maybe I will ask Gustaaf with the Times Group whether he might want to put up some shares.

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Speaking of the SCX, why do you have to go to Gralus' website to access the SCX hosted on shireroth.org?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have an SCX link at the bottom of the Malarbox?

Andreas the Wise

Gil'les Mel'ang wrote:This is a welcome feature. I'll make a small investment in Il Linear and YOM and maybe I will ask Gustaaf with the Times Group whether he might want to put up some shares.
Awesome. I'd love to have the Times Group floated - as an active company they'd be sure to go up in price quickly :)

@CJ - you don't. It's accessible from the bank, as it always has been: Other->Business->SCX. It's just I have free access to put links into the Gralan announcement box, so I did; whereas no one on Shireroth has asked before to have it in. If you'd like to petition to have a link in Malarbox, that'd be really cool. Jonas also had the idea that we could have the level of each of the exchanges appear in both boxes (ie the stuff that appears on the Welcome page). That shouldn't be too hard to do (same principle as the MNN news feed) but I haven't got around to that yet - been busy, and so focussed on key upgrades first.
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I'm very enthusiast by this. :yay:

EDIT: When will it be possible to change the dividends? :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Andreas the Wise

Jonas - welcome to the Boardroom.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I see that there changed certain things. But is it normal that I can enter Manuel's office, as it says: 'Ah Andreas the Wise'? :angel

EDIT: Weird, it's only with my Batavian account... :)
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Andreas the Wise

See my pm.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

That's.. really cool.

Andreas the Wise

The Boardroom
CEOs now have the power to enter the Boardroom and modify the dividend rate for any company they are CEO of. This gives them the power to determine how much of their company's profits are paid out as dividends now, and how much are kept as retained earnings. Retained earnings, as above, will contribute to future growth in the company's share price and future profits, and CEOs must weigh this up against receiving the dividends now.

Also, a new Apollo Aurora article, containing details both on the changes and on the market for the last few weeks. Trust the inside scoop - trust the Apollo Aurora. Some good hints there for obvious investment opportunities in the near future - I'd strongly advise you to take them up now while you still have the chance.
Q - Director of SAMIN

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

I'm CEO of the Bank of Safiria and I can't get into the Boardroom.

Andreas the Wise

That would be because you're not the CEO of the Bank of Safiria. Remember the SCX doesn't care who controls the company in RL (for those companies which have a RL counterpart - none of the NSX ones do), it only cares who controls them inside the exchange. Inside the exchange, you own no stocks in the Bank of Safiria, and hence you are not the CEO.
Q - Director of SAMIN

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Look at the BSF history and see that I have plurality control (3374 shares of 5374 purchased of 50,000 floated).

Andreas the Wise

Actually, the company history is showing that Liberi Assets have 4% stake (2000 shares) and the exchange has a 96% stake (the remaining 48000 shares). According the record, you just bought a bunch, and then sold them. Either way, you need to control more than 50% of the total stock to be the CEO, as the FAQ clearly states. Remember, stock owned by the exchange are not considered unowned - they're considered owned by NPC investors. That should answer your questions :)
Q - Director of SAMIN

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Shit fuck shit.

There's no fucking way to get money in this country and I'm never going to have the 2593.33 € necessary to buyout.

Andreas the Wise

A strong sentiment. I'd rather say there's no quick and effortless way to get money. Making money via the SCX is actually quite easy, if you plan your investments right (I'm personally trying to scrape together more GELT on Gralus so I can invest before BGI pays out dividends later today, for example). Making money via other ways requires more effort because you actually need to do something to earn the money. That's a little hard at the moment because not too many people are making big offers like Scott's moon landing; but you can still make money by selling your services (if you can convince others to buy them) or by bounties. In fact ...

There. 250 erb right there for doing up the bounty list, plus whatever you can justify bountying yourself, which in your case should be a reasonable bit, given Judex + Praetor work etc.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kaiser Ometeotl I

On that note. With Jonas about, he should be doing the Praetor stuff.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Oh... yes... I should do my job. :angel

Kaiser Ometeotl I

indeed good sir.

Gil'les Mel'ang

Post by Gil'les Mel'ang »

CJ Miller wrote:There's no fucking way to get money in this country and I'm never going to have the 2593.33 € necessary to buyout.
Wealth or power, can't have one without the other, huh? Actually, I would tend to agree with a recent post by the Kaiser which alludes to the fact that wealth may be convertible into power and vice-versa. As head of the Imperial Judex, you might start by asking for a raise!

Andreas the Wise

I keep laughing at this. I say "I'll give you 250 erb if you do up the bounties stuff". That'll take you, what, 15 minutes tops? And you get to bounty yourself for everything you can think of in the process? And nobody takes it?

I'd say you can't even give away money in this place :p
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I myself lack time.

Falkner van der Sluijs

Post by Falkner van der Sluijs »

Andreas the Wise wrote: I'd say you can't even give away money in this place :p
"I'M CRAMMING ERB DOWN YOUR THROAT! SWALLOW, DAMNIT, SWALLOW!"
Dutch of Kildare
Jarl in Asantelian
Steward of Shireroth