A Morovian in the Kaiser's Realm

Bill Bekkenhuis

A Morovian in the Kaiser's Realm

Post by Bill Bekkenhuis »

Dear Diary -

It's been about 2 ½ days since my last update.

Busy! Busy! Busy!

After numerous stops, the ferry finally stopped at Musica. I was the last passenger to be deposited on the shores of Shireroth proper. It was around noonish.

Unusual... I don't think I've ever been on a ferry that made multiple stops before. Reminded me of the odd wizard's bus in Harry Potter. The ferries from the indeterminate ises seem to take one wherever one needs to be.

But, like a taxi in New York city, try finding one in a rainstorm when you're on the mainland!

The geography of Musica somewhat baffles me and other than making nonsensical observations such as its lower elevations are by the sea and its higher one's inland, the various rivers and irregularities of its coast meant nothing to me. Guess I'd better renew my National Geographic subscription!

My first dominant impression was the smell of burning. I thought it might be a local house fire but then, I didn't know any better did I?

I stopped at the inevitable ShireStuff convenience store and asked directions to the boarding house (which conveniently, I was to discover, was up some distance from the coast) to which I'd secured a month-to-month lease. I mentioned the smell and he smiled.

"Ah," he said, "the work of the Vandals! You've noticed!" The man had an accent that was hard to place, but was certainly different from the vanishing isles.

"Notice? You mean the burning smell? Of course, it's all over the place. What's it from?"

"The Vandals. They come in, burn down the town."

"What?!"

"Well, not the whole town. Mostly the coastal areas."

"That's awful! What did the government do?"

He looked at me, puzzled.

"What do you mean? The government sent them. They were really good, too!"

"Really good?!"

"Oh, yes," he replied seriously. "I mean, the Visigoths are better but they are so expensive. But the Vandals are true professionals, they know their business."

I have to admit, at this point, the vanishing islands were looking a lot more dependable than this place.

"You mean, the town was burned by Vandals, not vandals."

"Come again?" the proprietor asked, wondering if my cheese had slipped off my cracker.

"By vandals, you don't mean punk teenagers... you mean Vandals with a capital 'V'. Like the one's who sacked Rome?"

"With all respect, I believreal, real money, right? They could afford the best."

I paid for my snacky cakes and decided this would be an excellent time to find my inn and hope that the bar was open.

It was.

The Inn of the Dancing Dog (I was told there was a story behind that but, at that moment, I didn't really want to know) had a warm hearth, a friendly group of regulars and excellent food.

A plump, pleasant looking barkeep called Death Reaper (another story I didn't really want to know at the moment) brought me some excellent beer I'll never be able to remember because its name had all consonants.

I told him of my mysterious conversation with the ShireStuff proprietor.

He laughed.

"Ah," he said, "La Fiesta de la BOOO/\/\!!"

"Ouch! Jeeze, no need to scream it in my ear!"

"Oh, I am so sorry. But that is how it's pronounced."

"What is it?"

"Well," he said, "a long time ago, there was a battle and the town was burned to ashes."

"That's terrible."

"Yes. But it was a long time ago. And the war was won!" (I noticed he didn't say by who... Are not most wars won? :) ) "So, each year, the government celebrates by burning the town."

"That sounds a bit extreme, I mean, wouldn't a parade and fireworks work as well?"

"Well, the entire town isn't burnt anymore... though," he looked thoughtful, "there are the occasional accidents... But it is basically the coastal areas that are burnt. The highlands are relatively safe."

"Relatively?"

"Like I said, there are accidents."

"But," I asked, "what about the people? The fishermen, the dockworkers. The poor who live near the sea? What about them?"

"It's not so bad," he replied. "The housing and businesses by the sea are really bare sticks and canvass. Hardly anyone lives there. Who would, knowing they are burned each year?"

"But the ones that live there..."

"o and their neighborhoods are rebuilt. They live in their newly built (if flimsy) housing rent free the rest of the year. I mean, we're just talking sticks and canvass."

"But that's still an outrage! How can poor people be burned out of their homes when they're paying tribute to support the Barons and Counts and, yes, Dukes in exchange for their protection!"

"Well," Reaper said, with an apologetic shrug, "that's just life in a feudal Duchy."

In the day or two following that exchange, I was to find out that "that's just life in a feudal Duchy" is an expression around Shireroth, though citizens of Musica like to claim that they originated it.

I was tired from the travel and had probably one more beer in me than was appropriate for lunch, so I rudely blurted out, "Isn't Musica known for anything other than being burned by the government each year?"

Reaper looked at me thoughtfully.

"Well," he said, "we really do have an excellent library..."

"...in the highlands, of course." he said with a smile.

Putting my bags in my room, I decided to wander over to this library where I was pleasantly surprised to find that they had - amongst may other excellent resources - a quite decent law library.

I saw a copy of the latest County of Musica law newsletter and saw a headline about a certain Baron Jess Heimer. The comments seemed pretty agitated for a law journal.

I grabbed a copy and sat down to read. Now, let's see what this is all about.
Bill Bekkenhuis
bekkenhuis (at) fast.net
I'm sorry but I am currently out of my mind... please leave a message.

Kaiser Ayreon

Re: A Morovian in the Kaiser's Realm

Post by Kaiser Ayreon »

Bill - I love this!

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Yeah, it's great. :)
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Jess

Post by Jess »

:document I love it, write more!

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Bill--

Love your posts. It's lots of fun to read. Keep it up, please.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Great one, mate. :D We usually pray to Ayreon after La Fiesta de la B0O0/\/\! and he helps us rebuild the burnt down parts of the city in record time. Usually one year ASC. :)
His Grace the Lord Brookshire, LK GMNS
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Duke of Brookshire, Baron of Lakhesis
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

Bill Bekkenhuis

Post by Bill Bekkenhuis »

The Case of the Question, "Is The Papel Baron?"

BANG!

"The Court will come to order."

The Hon. Michael Fors, Assistant Arbiter of the Imperial Judex, looked like no one to trifle with.

"Mr. Prosecutor, present your case."

Khan Hamilton Burger approached the bench.

"Your Honor, the Imperial Republic accuses Baron Jess Heimer of violating the Tri-Cit provision of the Lawbook.

"Your evidence, Khan Burger? And take off that turban when in my courtroom."

[EDIT TO PREVIOUS RESPONSE: "Yes, Your Honor, I will certainly comply with the wishes of the Court and have no desire to offend Your Honor's sense of decorum in any way despite my feeling that this sense of decorum is somewhat over-sensitive and just a tad, if I might be so bold, Morovian. But I will, of course, immediately comply with your wishes."]

BANG! BANG!

The Asst. Arbiter was not amused...

"You will keep my mother and all references to body parts out of this or I'll lock you in irons!," The Hon. Fors said with considerable menace, " and I am warning counsel that he shall not edit his way out of such ill-considered remarks again! Now, present your evidence!"

"The Imperial Republic calls Hypatsia's Mom to the stand."

The Kaiser's Minister of Immigration took the stand and the Bailiff swore her in.

"Hypatsia's Mom, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole lousy, swirling mess of it or have your left kidney cut out and impaled on a stick?"

"I do."

"Now," said Khan Burger, "Please tell the court in your own words what happened."

"I received an applicatio handkerchief to conceal her laughter, "from a Mr., ah, a Mr...", some more muffled giggling.

"Madam," Asst. Arbiter Fors questioned, "do you require a glass of water or something?"

"No," she gasped, "thank you... GOOBERSNOOKJIN."

Everyone in the courtroom jumped a bit.

"Geshundtite...I think," said the Hon. Fors.

"No, Your Honor," said Khan Burger, "that's the name of the applicant."

"Geshundtite?"

"No, Your Honor. Goobersnookjin."

"I think I liked geshundtite better... You may continue Counselor."

"So, Madam Minister, what made you think that something might be wrong?"

"'Goobers are slang for peanuts in the American South."

And now, I think to myself, my triumphant entry on to the Shirerithian legal scene!

"OBJECTION!, Your Honor."

"The Court recognizes Perry Bekkenhuis, Attorney for the Defense. What is your objection, Counselor?"

"The fact that my client, the Baron Jess Heimer, an upstanding citizen of Shireroth, may have some familiarity with the American South is no reason to start legal proceedings against him. This is a clear case of macronational profiling and prosecutorial zeal."

Justice Fors looked puzzled. "But isn't it your contention that Baron Jess Heimer has no connection with this Goobersnookjin person? Then what's the problem?"

"Well, of course he doesn't. Well, maybe a distant connection. I mean, it could be an accident. "Goobersnookjin is a very popular middle name in America."

"Really?" asked Justice Fors, just barely raising his eyebrow. "Jess Goobersnookjin Heimer? Is that a common American name?"

"van Frysk," I added miserably...

Meanwhile, while Count Jess Heimer was sitting apparently confident at the defense table he was nonetheless attempting to mouth to me without actually moving his lips, "Shut up! Shut up! Wilhirerithian legal scene... :( [/i]

<BANG!>

"Objection over-ruled... whatever it was. You may proceed, Khan Burger."

"The Imperial Republic dismisses Hypatsias' Mom and calls Baron Jess Heimer to the stand.

The Baron took the stand and raised his right hand and the Bailiff swore him in.

"Baron Jess Heimer, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole lousy, swirling mess of it or have your left kidney cut out and impaled on a stick?"

"I do."

"Now, Baron Jess Heimer... Is it not true that you attempted to register your papel as a citizen of Shireroth?"

"Yes, but..."

"And isn't it true that you have had multiple citizenships while a citizen of Shireroth?"

"Well, yes, but..."

"Thank you, Baron, I think we've heard enough. Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, I think we've heard enough! We can not have people sneaking papels into Shireroth and having piles of citizenships in other micronational entities. This court must find the defendant guilty and expel him from the realm!

There was no jury, but Khan Burger was on a roll.

"Um, Counselor," said Justice Fors, "Find him guilty of what? It is not illegal to register papels with the Imperial Republic and you've not made any case that Baron Jess Heimer has broken the Tri-Citizenship law by having more that three concurrent citizenships."

"I do not take your point, Your Honor."

"Counselor Khan Burger, you've accused the defendant of doing something that is not against the law and have not proved that he has done anything that is against the law. I find the defendant NOT GUILTY."

"What?! What difference does that make?! I can't accuse him of doing something if it's not against the law?! I have to prove allegations! What type of sissy law system out of order, Counselor. This court is adjourned. It's time to go home. I said, it's time to go home. Counselor Bekkenhuis, it is time to go home."

As I slowly awakened from my slumbers, I weakly acknowledged the shoulder shake of the security guard at the library and hoped he hadn't noticed that I had drooled a bit over The Imperial Republic vs. Baron Jess Heimer.

As I walked from the library back to the Inn where I was staying, I realized we were very close to the Fiesta De La BOO/\/\ and began wondering what, if anything, I'd find on my return.
Bill Bekkenhuis
bekkenhuis (at) fast.net
I'm sorry but I am currently out of my mind... please leave a message.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

:smashy
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Return to “County of Musica”