The Micras Solar System

A project to create a fictional astronomy for Shireroth and its world
Bill3000

Re: The Micras Solar System

Post by Bill3000 »

Keep. Gottagobye. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Why? It's utterly ridiculous. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

That's precisely the point. We made it up on a whim due to the fact that Scott said that as he was leaving when we were looking for more planet names. (I'd like to mention that same chat was pretty much the best chat in existance.) It's better having a real micronational meaning and context to the word instead of simply naming it after a greek word to make it seem more professional. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);Edited by: Bill3000 at: 11/18/05 10:35

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Except this is a serious (semi-serious at least) organization. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Once the professional names are adopted, we could place an etymological(sp?) page with each planet describing the origins of their names. Thus you could dispense with the absurd names, but let it be known that such and such was where we got the inspiration for the present incarnation (i.e. as in my suggestion with Ultros as a replacement for Gottagobye). Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

So where do we start?

Harvey the Blue

Post by Harvey the Blue »

Those names are the product of one of the very few semi-serious chats we had in which people that didn't get along with eachother managed to come together, contribute a few names, and produce something they could agree on with big hopes of developing the concept further. It's almost like a Treaty of the Gods in that sense. That said, most of the names ARE pretty random and I'm actually surprised they haven't been tossed out entirely. Meh. As long as Indigo stays I'll be all right, and I do have a special fondness for Gottagobye.The planet types are a different matter. We had no idea what we were talking about basically and just made things up in order to have some sort of record what the composition of each planet was like.The mere thought of the MCS developing a quasi-official solar system based on this old list pleases me greatly. I'll be watching for updates. Harvey SteffkeSai'Kar's Memories LiveJournal - ranting about Shirerothian issues since fall 2004.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

So, some suggested new Greekified names, after doing some research:Sun: Aton1. Chrono changed to Chronos (time); or, if we want something different, maybe Eos (dawn)2. Micras (moons: Atropos), no change; they sound Greek enough already, even if we wanted a name change in the first place3. Inferia changed to Pyros (fire, for a presumably reddish color)4. Indigo, no change due to historical precedent, plus it's Greek enough already5. NI changed to Chrysos (gold) or Spinther (spark) or Aglaos (bright) in reference to brightness in the sky6. Yavin changed to Thalassa (sea), partly due to hypothetical blue color, partly as tribute to Arthur C. Clarke's Songs of Distant Earth; or else Thanataster (meant to mean Death Star) as a play on words7. Superial, if also a blue gas giant, could also be Thalassa, or maybe Atmos (vapor) or Nephele (cloud)8. Monkey changed to Coelos (hollow) if we want to keep some Dyson sphere aspect, or Cercopithecos (monkey), or Placos (slab)9. Dyson changed to Noctis (night), or maybe Necros (dead)10. Gottagobye changed to Opisthe (hindmost) or Ultima (last, but that's a Latin "last" as opposed to Greek!)

Kaiseress Semisa I

Post by Kaiseress Semisa I »

My vote:1. Chrono changed to Eos2. Micras (moons: Atropos)3. Inferia changed to Pyros4. Indigo5. NI changed to Chrysos6. Yavin changed to Thalassa7. Superial to Nephele8. Monkey changed to Coelos9. Dyson changed to Noctis10. Gottagobye changed to OpistheI've gone with coloration when possible, as I think that color would be primary in naming a planet.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Micras' moon needs to be changed to read as Tarsica.Unfortunately, I named the moon in official context before I had been informed that there had been a moon developed previously (but never instituted). Hence, all MCS references now list Tarsica rather than Atropos.Someone find the Greek word for "maple" and that's what Monkey should be. Since I already published the map for it (listed as Momiji) several months ago. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Quote:Micras' moon needs to be changed to read as Tarsica.Ach, yes, I keep forgetting about that... sorry. But you gotta admit, Atropos fits better with the theme... Quote:Someone find the Greek word for "maple" and that's what Monkey should be. Since I already published the map for it (listed as Momiji) several months ago.There are three listed equivalents in the online dictionary I'm looking in, but the easiest to verify and most convenient lengthwise is "glinos". It's implied that this might be a little bit of a poetic usage, but eh.Although I have to confess, I do not at first glance see the connection between "Monkey", "Momiji", and "maple", other than the first letter, so could I prevail upon you to explain the suggestion? I have no particular problem with naming a planet after a kind of tree, odd as it sounds, but I'm a little fuzzy as to the reasoning.Oh, and could you show us a link to this map you mentioned? Pleeeaaaase? *Big round eyes*

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Quote:you gotta admit, Atropos fits better with the theme...Say it once more and it's off to the salt mines with ye. Momiji was the second planet to be produced by the MCS (by me alone that is). Momiji is Japanese for maple. I actually got the name from an anime series called Blue Seed, whose main character was a girl called Momiji. But in this case, the "maple" is associated with the geographical features of the planet. In particular, a large continent that looks somewhat like a maple leaf.http://www.geocities.com/microca...onpol.htmlMap of Tarsicahttp://www.geocities.com/microca...omiji.htmlMap of Momiji Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

UEC

Post by UEC »

how can a moon the size of Earth's moon.... have lakes? E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

http://www.geocities.com/microca...cadef.htmlHence why I said we can get away with being only semi-realistic. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Observes the Momiji map, thinks it kicks ass*Okay, so a modified list of suggested planet names (assuming that the Kaiseress has no objections to the Glinos change?):1. Chrono changed to Eos (Dawn)2. Micras (moons: Tarsica)3. Inferia changed to Pyros (Fire)4. Indigo5. NI changed to Chrysos (Gold)6. Yavin changed to Thalassa (Ocean)7. Superial to Nephele (Cloud)8. Monkey changed to Glinos (Maple)9. Dyson changed to Noctis (Night)10. Gottagobye changed to Opisthe (Hindmost)Now, while we're at it, some other things should be clarified. What about asteroid belts or other non-planetary objects; are there any? And if so, where? Do we want the planets to remain in this order? For that matter, do we want to keep the planet environments as they've been listed? Obviously, the most glaring oddity, and the one that probably ought to be dealt with first, is Monkey/Glinos. A habitable world in the outer solar system, where one would not be expected to exist, or even be able to exist. We are left with a few possibilities as to how to deal with it:1. Glinos is not really inhabitable to humans, but contains an alien biosphere instead. Possible, but being so far from the sun or a gas giant, the heat and energy needed to drive such a biosphere would come from the planet itself; i.e., chemical or geothermal. Still, it would like be so cold as to make liquid water higly improbable, if not impossible, so the oceans as depicted on Ryan's map would probably consist of hydrocarbons.2. Glinos is inhabitable by humans, despite its distance from the sun, because of some unusual agency that known natural processes do not account for. This is where the alien technology and Dyson sphere theories come in. It's also possible that we could introduce some previously-unknown quirk of the physical laws of the universe to account for this scenario, too.3. Glinos is inhabitable by humans, but its place in the solar system is moved to explain this fact. This is the solution that appeals to me the best, since it would make the most sense to have a habitable world in an orbit in the near solar system. I should add that this would also provide a good reason why inhabitants of Micras would name a planet after the maple-leaf shaped continent... after all, if Glinos were in the outer solar system, it would be much too far away for that much detail to be seen (until the development of high-end modern telescopes, anyway). But if Glinos were in a neighboring orbit, its features could be made out much more clearly, including the continent that earns it its name.

Kaiseress Semisa I

Trade Chrysos and Glinos.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Quote:Hence why I said we can get away with being only semi-realistic.Or we can just throw away the plans for Tarsica and start over to have a more realistic moon. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Harvey the Blue

Post by Harvey the Blue »

Tarsica is fine. Something that already exists is far more preferable to something new we have to make up.Couldn't Glinos just have a strong greenhouse gas atmosphere and thus, despite being too far away from the sun to be inhabitable, be able to trap enough heat for life as we know it to exist? There's the question of light for plant photosynthesis, but I'm sure an alien biosphere could evolve a type of plant life that doesn't require high light conditions to thrive, and a food chain could grow from there. Harvey SteffkeSai'Kar's Memories LiveJournal - ranting about Shirerothian issues since fall 2004.

Kaiseress Semisa I

...so it's like a deep-space Venus?

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

That's the problem. There is barely any heat for it to bottle up that far out into the system. And honestly, it would have to be extremely close to one of the gas giants to recieve any heat from them. (Such as one of their moons) It's why the solar system has zones. Sadly, it's in the cold zone.

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

Also, the Tarsica maps? I love them. It can be very much like our moon and appear to have lakes. The surface is very crater from asteroids and meteors. They can have large sections of ice that in the sunlight look like bodies of water from Earth. Remember, for the longest time, we thought there were canals on the Martians surface. Very well done indeed.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

I have to say that I prefer Pythos rather than Chrysos. That seemed to come out of nowhere, when a perfectly good Monty Pyton tribute was being suggested instead..

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Technically, Glinos was supposed to be Micras' sister planet ala what Mars is to Earth. Albeit a habitable Mars. That's why it was made like it was. Obviously it can't be in the outer system as you would'nt have been able to discern the maple leaf continent on the surface and thus come up with the name Glinos.As to Tarsica, I attributed the atmosphere to be self-replenishing and very thin. Based on a heavy amount of water within the moon's crust, which melts and re-freezes as it orbits Micras, combined with other factors like numerous tundra-like plantlife, the oxygen is thus replenished. Also, you're talking a very thin (like the top of a mountain) type atmosphere, with very little oxygen and very little fauna. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

UEC

Post by UEC »

at best it would have bacteria and maybe some multicelular life.. not much large... certainly no large worms... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

That was pretty much my concern. I seriously would doubt there would be large animals at all in Tarsica - at the very most, primitive multicellular organisms, (think Hydras {no, the fantasy one } and the like) most likely being most plentiful under the frozen lakes Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

UEC

Post by UEC »

personally.. I'm a bit more for realism here than fantasy... ie.. no habital moon... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Mm. I'm for both. Or, rather, I'm fine with, and encourage, some of the more odder concepts (Indigo, basically.) I don't think we should have something like another alien species in the system, however - it's clear that Micras would be the only planet that has natural (e.g. evolved there, as opposed to settling there if there are any space-faring civilizations) sentient life. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

Personally, I would like it to be a little realistic myself. I mean, the MCS do such a good job that seems very realistic to me, why can't we do the same for it's astronomy? It's one of the reasons I asked about the weather patterns. I was kinda curious. Would it be snowing right now in the Shireroth capital? Is it raining in the Alexandrian? I just think it would be cool. Just like these maps that were done. I would love to see a map of the planets. A venusian landscape for the inner orbit. Those our largests Gas Giant have a storm that is so strong that it causes an eye like Jupiter? Is there a green or blue tint to another? It's the cool little details that we look up for.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The reason why I haven't done a weather pattern map is because people set their own climates. Pretty much at least. Look at ALexandria as a prime example. They've got Poquito Puerto Rico in the frickin Antarctic belt. Rio Grande is the same. Texas in Tierra Del Fuego? I think not.But to implement and enforce such a system would be such an upset to the members that it simply isn't worth changing.And the description of Tarsica can be modified, although I would like to keep the map and the basic premise of the "tundra-esque" feel to it somewhat intact. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

UEC

Post by UEC »

just.. no insane multicell creatures... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Return to “The Micronational Astronomy Society”