The Micras Solar System

A project to create a fictional astronomy for Shireroth and its world
Osman Shahanshah

The Micras Solar System

Post by Osman Shahanshah »

Somewhere in the general discussion area there is a rather long thread about the planets of the Micras system and sun around which it orbits. It may be pertinent to recover that thread to here.

Fax Celestis

Re: The Micras Solar System

Post by Fax Celestis »

I do believe that thread was lost to ezPlague, but I'll dig around. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

p211.ezboard.com/fshirero...D=84.topic Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Osman Shahanshah

Post by Osman Shahanshah »

So the solar system then:Quote: Sun: Aton (type: G3)1. Chrono (type: V)2. Micras (moons: Atropos) (types: M)(size=1.0)3. Inferia (type: A)4. Indigo (moons: Plateau, Ivory*size=.1*) (type: W/M)5. NI (moons: Fenrir, Lukedu)(type: J)6. Yavin (types: J)7. Superial (type: J)8. Monkey (type: M)9. Dyson (type: D)10. Gottagobye (type: D)Planet Types:Gas Giant- JTemperat(earthlike)- MFrozen(pluto like)- DDouble PLanet- WVenus like- VMars like- A(Planet sizes based on Micron, Micron=1.0 10.0=10xMicron)Star Types: O, B, A, F, G, K, M (O-M from Hottest to Coolest) (1-10 Hottest to coldest

UEC

Post by UEC »

Can we ...for the sake of the Gods.. rename some of those planets.. like.... "Monkey".. wtf was I smoking...and what were they smoking with me... I was it I with them....? E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

What exactly is a double planet? A fat planet?

RicLyon

Post by RicLyon »

Yes, rename them.A double planet is two planets rotating around each other. Richard LyonYansha Elaer Kyon gef ShanPernem kahn gef kuymal per varga stiPernem kahn gef varga per kuymal sti

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Only planet I want to keep (other than Micras of course) is Indigo. Gottagobye is a lesser priority.It was from one of those insane chats, and I had a lot of quotes from Scott from that chat.... We had too much fun. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

RicLyon

Post by RicLyon »

Before we name something let's work out their qualities. The planets of today are named after their qualities or appearances... Richard LyonYansha Elaer Kyon gef ShanPernem kahn gef kuymal per varga stiPernem kahn gef varga per kuymal sti

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

If the names are going to be changed due to the quality of appearance, let's try to break it down then. The first five: 1. Chrono (type: V) Venus like in quality. A straight telescope appearance show show that it would be tan in colour with dark bands from wind storms. Of course, beneath the clouds is a super heated surface due to the greenhouse effect. http://www.astro.lsa.umich.edu/s.../venus.jpg2. Micras (moons: Atropos) (types: M)(size=1.0) While we know what Micras looks like from the extensive maps, what about Atropos? Our Moon, created by some theories of a planetoid colliding with the Earth, is normally dark black and grey. http://www.pa.msu.edu/people/fre...y-2831.jpg3. Inferia (type: A) Mars like in appearance. Once possessing an atmosphere which many theorise that it leaked out into space. It still possess a very thin atmosphere. It still possess polar ice caps that do melt to a point. The distances in our system makes Mars extremely cold, but in this system, perhaps it would be warmer? http://www.astro.uva.nl/exhibiti.../mars.jpeg 4. Indigo (moons: Plateau, Ivory*size=.1*) (type: W/M) More information is needed about both of these planets. Their rotation could have effects upon other planet's gravities as they swing through the system. If the magnetic field is created in time, an strong atmosphere might survive, but this position in the system would make the surface very cold. Even the neighbouring Gas Giant would have to be very close to provide any heat. 5. NI (moons: Fenrir, Lukedu)(type: J) The first of several gas giant. We should consider the strength of the storms that will be rumbling around the surface. Will they be dull like Saturn's or multi-coloured like Jupiter's? Plus, don't forget about the blue surface of Neptune. A gas giant usually have more moons than just two. Perhaps Fenrir and Lukedu are the most visible and promient and more can be discovered. Also, there is potential that a large gas giant my cause adverse effects to Indigo, including its destruction. I thought I would throw these thoughts out and get the grey cells going. I hope this helps with some ideas.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Thank you so much for helping, Layal.Quote:2. Micras (moons: Atropos) (types: M)(size=1.0) While we know what Micras looks like from the extensive maps, what about Atropos? Our Moon, created by some theories of a planetoid colliding with the Earth, is normally dark black and grey. Ryan's name for Atropos is Tarsica (I apologize - the chart you had was an old version) and has some things about it located here - http://www.geocities.com/microca...cadef.htmlQuote:4. Indigo (moons: Plateau, Ivory*size=.1*) (type: W/M) More information is needed about both of these planets. Their rotation could have effects upon other planet's gravities as they swing through the system. If the magnetic field is created in time, an strong atmosphere might survive, but this position in the system would make the surface very cold. Even the neighbouring Gas Giant would have to be very close to provide any heat. I'd probably suggest to move Indigo closer to the sun, perhaps switch places between Inferia and Indigo. Indigo is pretty much my baby, having a focus in the later part of Control of Destiny 3. I imagined that the surface of the larger world would be cold - tundra all around, basically. Most of the water ice would be frozen, and whatever life would probably be located underground and in caves where it would be warmer.The minor world (smaller of the two), I'm not sure how it would be. Tidal forces will obviously be strong on both worlds. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Quote:Before we name something let's work out their qualities. The planets of today are named after their qualities or appearances...I think they're more just named after gods, really... I mean, yes, red planet = blood = god of war = Mars, and big planet = king of the gods = Jupiter, but Mars isn't as obviously red from Earth as it is when you're there, and the Romans had no way of knowing that Jupiter really was the largest planet other that by noticing how bright it was. And of course, those are just OUR names; in other languages, the planets can be, and are, named under a different rationale.Quote:The minor world (smaller of the two), I'm not sure how it would be. Tidal forces will obviously be strong on both worlds.And that would go a long way to explaining why it would be more livably warm in the underground portion of Indigo, too. Tidal flexing would heep ceep the cores of the two worlds nice and hot, so one would expect to see a lot of geothermal vents. The smaller world would be more drastically affected by this, maybe even having numerous volcanoes as a result... although that would depend on how close it orbits to the larger world and small it is in comparison.Speaking of which... am I right in my interpretation that the moons Plateau and Ivory are completely separate from the two worlds of Indigo, and orbit around both of them? Or is Plateau the name of the smaller planet, and Ivory the only true moon?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Some more thoughts on the planets, picking up where Layal left off.Quote:Perhaps Fenrir and Lukedu are the most visible and promient and more can be discovered. Also, there is potential that a large gas giant my cause adverse effects to Indigo, including its destruction.I think that Bill's idea to switch Indigo with Inferia is a good one, and especially in this case... I doubt he'd want to see Indigo get broken apart. But it might work out just as well... after all, if Inferia is Mars-like, then perhaps like Mars it once had liquid water and a thicker atmosphere. What caused it to go away? Perhaps a natural disaster related to NI's influence?Now, concerning the moons... I agree that we should leave room for other, smaller moons to be discovered. It would make more sense, given that the gas giants in our solar system have at least one or two major moons each, but lots of small ones. In fact, there being only two major moons suggests some things about the NI and the other planets of the outer solar system, so if you'll bear with me...5. NI (moons: Fenrir, Lukedu)(type: J)I propose that, because it has relatively few (known) major moons, NI is not as large as Jupiter is. Perhaps not as small as Neptune, though... let's say Saturn-sized. Its atmospheric bands probably would be faint without a massive heat engine like Jupiter's driving the weather; I don't know if it would necessarily have the same color as Saturn, though. We need research into why the gas giants are colored like they are.6&7. Yavin and Superial (type: J)These, I suspect, are going to be our Uranus and Neptune analogs. Think blue or bluish-green, probably. It's odd that neither of them would have visible major moons, though... I suggest that for one of them, the lack of moons could be explained by a collision of some kind, moons smacking into each other or some massive object throwing them out of whack... this would also, by the way, give us a great excuse to put rings around the planet chosen. Maybe even more spectacular than Saturn's!8. Monkey (type: M)Now here, we have an earthlike planet waaay out in the outer solar system. What gives? I think we were kicking around the possibility of an alien biosphere at work, but that would still be classified as non-earthlike. I propose combining this poorly-named world with9. Dyson (type: D)I remember Joe suggesting that this might actually be a sort of mini-Dyson sphere, an artificial world. I like this idea, and I think it should be kept on. And it would explain something else, too...Planetary scientists believe that Jupiter played an important, if indirect, role in the survival of life on Earth by pulling in orbiting debris like a cosmic vacuum cleaner, leaving that much less material to hit Earth. But in the conception we've got so far, there's no Jupiter equivalent in the Atos system to explain why Micras failed to get smashed up. Maybe the gas giants we got did the job adequately... but maybe the reason is because there WAS a larger gas giant there that is no longer there. But where would it go, you ask?I suggest that, in between Indigo/Inferia and NI, there is a wide space, empty except for icy fragments of frozen volatiles, where a gas giant once existed... and that it was, at some point in the past, disassembled and used for material to build a protective enclosure around one of the far planets of the outer solar system... in this case, Dyson/Monkey/whatever. Within an artificial shield of frozen hydrogen, perhaps kept stable by still-functioning alien technology, a thick atmosphere could be maintained even under low gravity, enough to allow living things to thrive there... though whether it would be hospitable to humans, and not just aliens, could be decided later.10. Gottagobye (type: D)Well, after the previous suggestions, this has gotta be anticlimactic. No particular ideas from me on this one, I'm afraid.

UEC

Post by UEC »

maybe we should name them.. last...first figure out what planet types, in what numbers and in what order.. maybe add or remove form the total count...basicly.. start over...than once we get descriptions... figure out names... of which we go with gods.... I like gods.... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

The Gas Giant comments. Gas Giants are basically failed suns. They were gathering the mass to eventually collapse and ignite, but failed, either not receiving suffient mass or collapsing. I can't remember the exact details. It's been forever since my Astronomy classes. If you switch out a Jupiter size for a small saturn size in the fifth orbit, you won't get the interference that might have disrupted the switched Martian typle like you suggested. Jupiter has a massive radiation and gravitational influence. If you still switch out the fifth Gas Giant, maybe you can make Dyson into a super giant? As for the Earth like that far from the sun, that's not possible on it's on. Titan alone needs it's Giant to turn it's ocean to keep them from being a solid block of ice. That far out, you would probably have a failed core or an ice ball of a planet. As for indigo, the Titan comment could explain some surface activity. Being a dual planet, it's moon double would turn her oceans to keep her from being completely frozen.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

There's also the fact that we are doing fiction here, rather than trying to completely simulate real life. I do understand the need for plausibility of course (And I would doubt that there would be non-Micras sentient species in the Atos system.) but that does not mean we would have to completely follow every single part of it. I'm not sure what I am saying here, except for the fact that Ryan doesn't know much about science and pulls things out of a hat for his works of fiction. There is the fact that it is pretty much a given that we are in a different universe, and that the universe might have slightly different laws of physics than what we have in the real universe to allow such things. What I am saying here is that we do not need to have a carbon copy of the solar system, methinks.Either way, I think it would be good if we figured out exactly how far from the star each of the planets are, as an example. I think the concept of Monkey was to have some sort of alien environment where life exists, (And I quote Scott, "How about microscopic monkeys!") but Layal does raise up a critical point that would be hard for such a planet to not be a frozen ball of ice.There's also the fact that there really isn't much of a distinction between a Brown Dwarf and a Gas Giant, I believe; they form through the same methods and can be considered failed suns. Lemme look it up on Wikipedia. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

I'm with the "let's just remake the whole thing from scratch" crowd, as the current version is undeniably silly. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

RicLyon

Post by RicLyon »

And I'm with Fax.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

And I'm either with the "let's have vaguely interesting names for the planets as opposed to just naming everything after the gods" faction....either that or I hereby start said faction.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'll have you know that I major in science and graduated technical in oceanography, Mr. Dusch. My work simply happens to be more imaginative than the "Every planet out there consists of poisonous gases or looks like Arizona on a bad day" crowd.The absence of having any support around to manage the MCS for the last four years left me with the option to pretty much develop the entire system myself. I believe we had a previous discussion on this over at the MCS forum as well.As for my opinion, if you want this to be semi-sanctioned by the MCS, we start over from scratch, use entirely original material, and develop a semi-realistic system without any colonisation BS. It doesn't need to be scientifically accurate to the rule, as you can see what I did with Tarsica, but some adherence to realism would be nice. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Seeing as the MAS wants good relations and recognition of "reality" by the MCS, let's go with his idea. Start from scratch it is. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'll add a little as to what was concluded from the previous discussions on this matter.From an MCS perspective, we already agreed to adopt several names for common use by the society for simply aesthetic purposes. And, once again, like with the name Micras, the names would simply be common tounge and not nation specific. So, for example, we could call a planet Indigo, while another micronation might call it Azure. It'd still be the same planet either way though.In any event, several names were agreed upon while others remained up in the air. I'm posting this to simply begin throwing around original ideas for names.Below is the list. Next to the names I've added boldened notes pertaining to MCS adoptions or names which have since been made official.Sun: Aton official1. Chrono2. Micras (moons: Tarsica) official3. Inferia4. Indigo (moons: Plateau, Ivory) adopted5. NI (moons: Fenrir, Lukedu)6. Yavin7. Superial8. Monkey renamed to Momiji and adopted9. Dyson adopted10. Gottagobye adoptedNow that leaves Chrono, Inferia, Ni, Yavin and Superial as planets which need name changes. I steadfastly refuse to adopt names ripped from merchandising powerhouses such as Star Wars or Monty Python, so Yavin and Ni need to be changed before the MCS can sponsor them. The others are common or constructed, so they can either stay or go depending on popular opinion.Putting a spin on the names, however, is entirely possible. For instance, since Ni is from Monty Python, you could call the planet Pythos.Inferia I would like to see called Infernia, just for PRH purposes. Other Names of Potential Use:DjazonaShalaZzyx (a possible new name for Gottagobye)WindroseZealJust tossing out some ideas here. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

UEC

Post by UEC »

zzyx.... ACK... I hate it when people names thinsg so they look like you just hit a bunch of letters... bugged the hell out of me in VegaStrike... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I like Pythos well enough for NI.In fact, since Aton and Micras are Greek-ish, and Chrono (I believe) is as well, and Pythos would be if we used it, we might want to go with a Greek kind of theme for most of the "official", international standard names of the planets.*Checks his dictionary, discovers that "indigo" ultimately derives from Greek "indikon"* Ahhhh. Even better. That wouldn't have to be changed.Whatcha think, people? Make Bastardized Greek names for the planets?

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

I like it. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Master R Davis

Post by Master R Davis »

Quote:6. Yavin (types: J)We need to be really careful with something like a "Yavin" - those lads at the "New Empire" might mistake it as a haven for rebels and attack. WEBSITE

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I like the bastardised Greek names idea. We can toss in some bits of other languages into the mix, as that's what I tend to do.Of course, I suggest changing Chrono to Chronos, since it just sounds better.Names I came up with while at work today:ItaryKellulairThienda (another possible replacement for Gottagobye)Fiinyx (pronounced as Phoenix)But using Greek names would eliminate the above ideas.Ultros, for instance, might be a good Grecian-like name for Gottagobye. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Additional Thought:Rename Yavin to Hyfrost.It'd fit the ice planet theme quite well and link the name somewhat to Micran Hyperborea. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Layal1

Post by Layal1 »

So, we are just starting over from scratch? I mean, at least where we can. Gotta was adopted? That's suprising. I like Pythos.

Return to “The Micronational Astronomy Society”