Some intrigue

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Icebreaker

Some intrigue

Post by Icebreaker »

Sunlight was shining in the windows - at least some amount was filtering through the mists outside. The count of Discontinuity leaned back in the chair in his study, and looked at the two packets of information centered on his desk. It was wildly improbable that these two reports should come in simultaneously from his intelligence rings - one a threat to the city, the other a possible solution.

Only the latter news really surprised him, though. He had suspected something shady going on behind the scenes for a long time. He rummaged around in a desk drawer for a cigar, a cutter, and some matches, and went through the ritual of lighting it before leaning back again and taking a couple thoughtful puffs. After a few moments, he pressed a button on the desk to summon his adjutant.

"Sir?" she said, stepping in through the single door and stopping short of the count's desk.

"Well, I think I've read everything I need to know," he said, stacking the two reports and tossing them to the side. "So let's talk about preparations. The newest batch of naval reinforcements should be ready by now, right?"

"Yes sir, and the naval forces under our command have been drilling since you put them on alert several months ago." The count had been suspicious for quite some time, and had ordered the local manufactories to produce units to bolster Discontinuity's naval forces, as well as putting the navy on standby with special training instructions sent to certain commanders. That was six months ago, and it appeared that the first fruits of that labor were prepared and ready to be deployed.

The count smiled. "Excellent. We'll need popular support though," he said, tapping the stack of papers. "So initialize the plan we talked about yesterday morning."

"With respect, this is some pretty... inflaming news. Couldn't you just make an official statement? I'm sure if the public heard it..."

The count shook his head. "You know as well as I do the amount of trust that your average Straylightian places in the government. No no, if we want to win the public's opinion on this one, it's got to be done obliquely - in the taverns, break rooms, and habitats of this city. I want you to tell the operatives to keep the rumors flowing - once we have a certain amount of people believing the story, then we can see about an official announcement."

He turned and looked at a map hanging on the wall, showing the section of the ocean that composed Straylight. "It's difficult to know who to trust on this one - but we're going to have to enlist someone. Send emissaries to... let's see... Pohjankaupunki and... well, why not, try Sargassum. Don't tell them anything they don't already know. Just tell them to feel around and see if anyone else has been having suspicions."

The adjutant smiled and nodded. "Very well. Anything else?"

The count puffed on his cigar a few times before answering. "Keep an eye on the meteorological forcasts - inform me of any substantial storm coming through the area. Put the navy on heightened alert status, and inform the brass that they should make ready to deploy in earnest in a few days."

Puzzled, the adjutant nodded and left. The count turned towards the windows and put his feet up against the wall. "This won't end well..." he thought to himself. "But hopefully I can secure the least disastrous outcome." He furrowed his brow and smoked the last bit of his cigar.

Icebreaker

Re: Some intrigue

Post by Icebreaker »

IN UNRELATED NEWS, I SURE HOPE ARI IS ENJOYING HIS LOA!

lals

Return to “County of Discontinuity”