Moderator: Erik Mortis

Malliki

Weird quotes n stuff

Post by Malliki »

"Airplanes are interesting toys, but they have no military value."
- Marshall Ferdinand Foch 1911

"It is unlikely that man will ever harness the power of the atom."
- Robert Millikan, Nobel laureate, physics 1923

"They will never be able to detonate a nuclear bomb - and I speak as an explosives expert."
- Admiral William Leahy, 1945

"Can't play. Can't sing. Slightly bald. Can dance some."
- What a movie company thought about Fred Astaire's test shoot in 1928

"You should go back to driving a truck."
- Said by a consert director after he fired Elvis Presley in 1954

"I think that there is a world market for perhaps five computers."
- Thomas J. Watson Sr., founder of IBM

When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone in 1876, there wasn't much interest in it apparently. After having tried it, one of the presidents of the company, Rutherford Hayes, said:
"It is a marvellous invention, but who would ever have to use one of these?"

"640 KB will be enough for anyone."
- Bill Gates, 1981

"The Internet is just a hype. I don't think that people in the long run will want to spend as much time as it really takes to surf the Net."
- Ines Uusman, Swedish Minister for Communication, May 12, 1996.

Disclaimer: The quotes listed here are translated from Swedish, usually back to English. This is due to me being lazy and not wanting to find the originl quotes. Any discrepancies between this version and the original one are too bad. I also take no responsibility for the correctness of these quotes.

"Bush gave an interview and he said people will vote for him because 'They've seen me weep, they´ve seen me laugh, and they´ve seen me hug.' These are the same qualifications for a Tickle Me Elmo."
- Bill Maher

"Britain has invented a new missile. It's called the civil servant - it doesn't work and it can't be fired."
- Walter Walker, quoted in Newspapers, 1981

"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones."
- Albert Einstein

[On his running for California Governor]
"It's the most important decision I've had to make since 1978 when I decided to get a bikini wax."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference."
- Harry S. Truman (circa 1962)

"Today is 'Take our Daughters to Work Day.' This is when girls ages Nine to Fifteen go to work. Or, as it's called at the Nike factory - Thursday."
- Bill Maher

"When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself."
- Peter O'Toole

"Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms."
- Groucho Marx

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."
- Unknown

"Fame has sent a number of celebrities off the deep end, and in the case of Michael Jackson, to the kiddy pool."
- Bill Maher

"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings."

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

"Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows."

"Microsoft: 'You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips.' "

"Sexy Unix Commands: date; unzip; touch; strip; finger; mount; gasp; yes; uptime;"

"Marriage is a three ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring, and suffering."

"USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
- David Letterman

"Americans have different ways of saying things. They say "elevator", we say "lift" ... they say "President", we say "stupid psychopathic git."
- Alexai Sayle

"The Internet is a gateway to get on the net."
- Bob Dole

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
- Dan Quayle

"It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago."
- Dan Quayle

"Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."
- Dan Quayle

"We're going to have the best-educated American people in the world."
- Dan Quayle

"We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a 'part' of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a 'part' of Europe."
- Dan Quayle

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."
- Dan Quayle

"Quite frankly, teachers are the only profession that teach our children."
- Dan Quayle

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."
- Dan Quayle

"I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix."
- Dan Quayle

"For NASA, space is still a high priority."
- Dan Quayle

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
- George W. Bush

"What I am against is quotas. I am against hard quotas, quotas they basically delineate based upon whatever. However they delineate, quotas, I think, vulcanize society. So I don't know how that fits into what everybody else is saying, their relative positions, but that's my position."
- George W. Bush

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
- George W. Bush

"The most important job is not to be Governor, or First Lady in my case."
- George W. Bush

"An empty taxi arrived at 10 Downing Street, and when the door was opened, Atlee got out"
- Winston Churchill, On Clement Atlee

"I wish Stanley Baldwin no ill, but it would have been much better if he had never lived"
- Winston Churchill, On Stanley Baldwin

"He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened"
- Winston Churchill, On Stanley Baldwin

Woman: "I can smell alcohol on his breath!"
Hancock: "I've been drinking, bitch!"

"At every crisis the Kaiser crumpled. In defeat he fled; in revolution he abdicated; in exile he remarried."
- Winston Churchill

"When the President does it, that means that it's not illegal." (Change President to Kaiser and it's true :document )
- Richard Nixon

"Any political party that includes the word 'democratic' in its name, isn't."
- Patrick Murray

"The draft is white people sending black people to fight yellow people to protect the country they stole from red people."
- James Rado

"The main difference for the history of the world if I had been shot rather than Kennedy is that Onassis probably wouldn't have married Mrs Khrushchev."
- Nikita Khrushchev

"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
- Stephen King

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."
- Emo Philips

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
- Quentin Crisp

-----------------------------------------------------------
The Shrine of Terry Pratchett awsomeness
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

"It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life."

"That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and Americans. A European says: 'I can't understand this, what's wrong with me?' An American says: 'I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?' "

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."
- Good Omens

"In the begining there was nothing, and it exploded."
- On the Big Bang Theory

"For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks."
- Equal Rites

"The consensus seemed to be that if really large numbers of men were sent to storm the mountain, then enough might survive the rocks to take the citadel. This is essentially the basis of all military thinking."
- Eric

"An education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on."
- Hogfather

"It could not be happening because this sort of thing did not happen. Any contradictory evidence could be safely ignored."
- Jingo

"Sham Harga had run a succesful eatery for many years by always smiling, never extending credit, and realizing that most of his customers wanted meals properly balanced between the four food groups: sugar, starch, grease, and burnt crunchy bits."
- Men at Arms

"[The pamphlet] was very patriotic. That is, it talked about killing foreigners."
- Monstruous Regiment

"Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think."
- Small Gods

"He says gods like to see an atheist around. Gives them something to aim at."
- Small Gods

"Only one creature could have duplicated the expressions on their faces, and that would be a pigeon who has heard not only that Lord Nelson has got down off his column but has also been seen buying a 12-bore repeater and a box of cartridges."
- Mort

- "Pardon me for living, I'm sure."
- NO-ONE GETS PARDONED FOR LIVING.
- Mort

"The only things known to go faster than ordinary light is monarchy, according to the philosopher Ly Tin Weedle. He reasoned like this: you can't have more than one king, and tradition demands that there is no gap between kings, so when a king dies the succession must therefore pass to the heir instantaneously. Presumably, he said, there must be some elementary particles -- kingons, or possibly queons -- that do this job, but of course succession sometimes fails if, in mid-flight, they strike an anti-particle, or republicon. His ambitious plans to use his discovery to send messages, involving the careful torturing of a small king in order to modulate the signal, were never fully expanded because, at that point, the bar closed."
- Mort

"Ankh-Morpork had dallied with many forms of government and had ended up with that form of democracy known as One Man, One Vote. The Patrician was the Man; he had the Vote."
- Mort

- "Sodomy non sapiens," said Albert under his breath.
- "What does that mean?"
- "Means I'm buggered if I know."
- Mort

"FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC." [Think about it...]
- Motto of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Guards! Guards!

"It's a metaphor of human bloody existence, a dragon. And if that wasn't bad enough, it's also a bloody great hot flying thing."
- Captain Vimes, Guards! Guards!

"Meat pies! Hot sausages! Inna bun! So fresh the pig h'an't noticed they're gone!"
- Moving Pictures

His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, "You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink."
- Dydactylos, Small Gods

"The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god)."
- Small Gods

"That's why it's always worth having a few philosophers around the place. One minute it's all Is Truth Beauty and Is Beauty Truth, and Does A Falling Tree in the Forest Make A Sound if There's No one There to Hear It, and then just when you think they're going to start dribbling one of 'em says, Incidentally, putting a thirty-foot parabolic reflector on a high place to shoot the rays of the sun at an enemy's ships would be a very interesting demonstration of optical principles."
- Small Gods

"I know she's in there," said Verence, holding his crown in his hands in the famous Ai-Senor-Mexican-Bandits-Have-Raided-Our-Village position.
- Lords and Ladies

Slab: Jus' say "AarrghaarrghpleeassennononoUGH"
- Detritus' war on drugs, Feet of Clay

"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk [...]"
- Feet of Clay

"Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs."
- Susan, Hogfather

"It's a sad and terrible thing that high-born folk really have thought that the servants would be totally fooled if spirits were put into decanters that were cunningly labelled backwards. And also throughout history the more politically conscious butler has taken it on trust, and with rather more justification, that his employers will not notice if the whisky is topped up with eniru."
- Hogfather

"My curvy sword at your neck, you unclean son of a dog of the female persuasion!"
- Klatchian, Jingo
-----------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Malliki on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
His Grace the Lord Brookshire, LK GMNS
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Duke of Brookshire, Baron of Lakhesis
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

Prodigy Almighty

Re: Weird quotes n stuff

Post by Prodigy Almighty »

This is like, kinda awesome n stuff. :D
Boris Ivanovich Serov ronToketi VI
Executor of Chelkran Kesh
King of Kagan conToketi
Baron of Absentia, Yardistan

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

I have one from Greg.
The old guard is going away. A new dawn is rising. May the next generation build and learn from us. This world is yours.
He said that 20th July 2006. I think maybe if you look at the citizen list and our recent Kaisers you can understand why it qualifies as a "weird quote". :p
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

By the way, has anyone seen Greg around for the past couple of months? He seems to have disappeared. He isn't even onlne.

Gilrean Treebane

Post by Gilrean Treebane »

zomg awesome quotes XD

my favorite one that I was said by me
I ate the marshmallow 'cause the midget told me to
and yes that is a TRUE STORY XD ah the Ren Faire...
"I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses"

Lady Gilrean Treebane
Countess of Eastern Absentia

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

New quotes added, as well as the "The Shrine of Terry Pratchett awsomeness".
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Thanks, Mike. I will have to mine the Pratchett books I'm currently reading to find more gems.

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

From my quotes file (now at 80 pages and counting!):

"Science versus religion. Which is better? Clearly, if you like owning things other than dirt clods and intestinal parasites, science is ready to step up and give it to you, and stick an iPod dock on it to boot. However, I've heard claims that religion can make you not want stuff. I have to admit, that's a pretty enticing proposition. What if I could get the same thrill I get from unboxing a new videogame console just by, I don't know, seeing a smile on an infant's face or something stupid like that? Think of all the closet space I'd have! I sometimes wonder, where are all these people who don't want material possessions? But then I realize they probably don't have broadband, so I'd never hear about them even if they did exist." - Lore Sjoberg

"Time is a great healer, but a lousy makeup artist."

"He was using the infinite monkey approach, and, frankly, he is no infinite monkey." - S. E. Hazlehurst

"The way to pick a spouse is to list, carefully, all the qualities you were looking for in a mate and then marry the first one who makes you forget the list." - Douglas Samuelson

"A Canadian is just an unarmed American with health insurance." -John Wing Jr.

"My indifference to that comment can only be described as sexual in intensity." - Martin Terman

"Q: Name something that an AI system will be able to do that will signal the arrival of human-level AI.
A: Decline the Nobel Prize for literature on political grounds"
-Future of AI questionnaire, Michael Littman

"The law of the excluded middle either rules or does not rule."

"When people run around and around in circles, we say they are crazy. When planets do it, we say they are orbiting. Double standard?"

"Me? A skeptic? I hope you have proof."

"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."

"Often, when I am reading a good book, I stop and thank my teacher. That is, I used to, until she got an unlisted number."

"I used to think Reagan was a simplistic, vengeful, jingoistic cowboy. Now, I'm starting to think he was just ahead of his time." - The Onion

In Everquest, the evil in question reappears in the world after you vanquish it, often within mere minutes, and the world as a whole never changes because of anything you do. So in that way it's less like being a fantasy adventurer and more like being a social worker." -Lore Sjöberg

"Well, of course I would never use a preposition to end a sentence up with, because it might be difficult to make sense out of, and, after all, what would I want to use a preposition to finish a sentence that you cannot make any sense out of up with for?"

"Formula for success: Rise early, work hard, strike oil." -J. Paul Getty

"Everyone's always in favour of savinr's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!" - Futurama

"I think a good commercial would be to show how Tide Detergent can wash the stain out of the Shroud of Turin. The slogan could be: 'Tide, more powerful than God!'" -Damon Milhem

"It's sad how whole families are torn apart by simple things, like wild dogs"

"If reality wants to get in touch with me, it knows where I am."

You say you have problems as great as my own;
I am forced to admit that is true.
But consider that my problems happen to me,
While yours only happen to you.

"Do I believe in the Bible? Hell, man, I've even seen one!"

"I like to go into restaurants and, when asked if I have reservations, say, "Yes, I do have some, but I'm willing to give it a try anyway."

"I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks." - Joe Lewis

"Toxteth riots, England 1981: a leftist militant climbs on to a box and addresses a crowd on the subject of the coming socialist utopia. Her promise that there will be jobs for all is met with derisory laughter from the group of young rioters. As the speaker details other reforms, the group begins a mocking chant, 'Bigger cages, longer chains! Bigger cages, longer chains!'"

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of twenty-two, it would have changed the history of music...and of aviation." -Tom Stoppard

"Always try to do things in chronological order; it's less confusing that way."

"All syllogisms have three parts. Therefore, this is not a syllogism."

"George Bush. Now there is a man who is in so far over his head that the fish have lights on their noses."

"In the time it has taken you to read this sentence, 54 children have died. By the time you finish this sentence 245 women will be raped. Are you still reading? Jesus, you're a real sadist ar't you? Well now, thanks to you, Mr. Big Shot, 4500 people have contracted the AIDS virus. Great. Terrific. Now it looks like there's been a earthquake in India. Do you know how many lives you've just cost?? Do you?? Hah? I'll tell you how many. A lot, that's how many. And you just keep reading, don't you? What's it gonna take? Armegeddon? Is that what you're hoping for, pal? South America has just sunk into the sea. Well congratulations. I hope you're real proud of yourself."

"The punishment [in Hell] if you're a thief is having snakes tie your hands behind your back. And then sometimes the snakes bite your neck and you burn into ashes and then you arise again from the ashes. And you're naked. Which just goes to show you that one person's eternal ignominious torture is another person's fetish art Web page." - Lore Sjoberg

"Mankind will not be free until the last general is strangled with the entrails of the last systems-analyst. As my sainted grandmother used to say." -Edward Abbey, Down the River

"Be an optimist, at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Kennedy." - Anonymous.

"Has God forgotten everything I've done for him ?" - Louis XIV's last words

"I like to look on the bright side: Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive." - Scott Frank.

No man should marry until he has studied anatomy and dissected at least one woman. - Honore de Balzac (1799-1850)

"Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff." - Jack Handey

"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography." - Ambrose Bierce

"Senator Stevenson, you have the vote of every thinking person!" - woman
"That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!" - Adlai E. Stevenson

"I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me." - Dave Barry

"Sometimes I get the feeling that the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that´s not true. Some of the smaller countries are neutral." -Robert Orben

"You know how it is when you go to be the subject of a psychology experiment, and nobody else shows up, and you think maybe that's part of the experiment? I'm like that all the time."

"If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn
between a desire to improve the world, and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day." E. B. White

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Scott--

Those are wonderful! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

An extra quote for Hypatia's Mom:

"A fully connected graph, with an edge between every two vertices, conveys the same amount of information as a graph with no edges at all." - Overcoming Bias

If you give everything really glowing praise, all the time, that conveys the same amount of information as never praising anything. I know you're very nice, and you're very supportive of everything in Shireroth, but unless there's at least theoretically something you don't like, saying how much you like everything people do because meaningless praise. Erik usually hates stuff, so when he says something is good, I get a warm feeling because it must have been really good for him to like it. But when you say something's super-ultra-wonderful, I interpret no information in that comment beyond "Hypatia's Mom has seen this and is acknowledging its existence."

...this is a terribly rude post, isn't it? I guess that, having a heart made of coal as I do, all of your constant glowing happiness all the time about everything is just beginning to get on my nerves. I know there are worse problems, but it's just something you might want to think about.

b3n|<3r|\|

Post by b3n|<3r|\| »

Hmm? She's just being nice Scott. I don't think that needs reconsideration.
Vilhelm von Benkern - The Dolphin-...Count
:: Formerly just "benkern"
:: Rook Sentry of the Order of the Vorpal Blade
:: Count of Mar Sara IIRC
:: Former Baron of Absentia AFAIK, before that Baron of Vorpmadal TBH; also Former Duke of Yardistan IMHO
:: Dux Emeritus of the Order of Mischievous Intent

It takes moo to mango!

Krasniy Yastreb

Post by Krasniy Yastreb »

Criticising an inherent and irrevocable pillar of someone's persona like that and inferring they might lay off from it, is... asking for trouble somewhat. Such statements don't achieve anything except pissing people off. You might as well tell Ghandi to stop bitching, pick up a rifle and move his lazy ass off the Moral High Ground.

Although I accept that over-complimenting is self-debasing, If it weren't for Hypatia's Mom half my posts would go completely unanswered. She promotes activity in a non-spammy way and isn't doing any real harm.

I'm assuming you've just had a bad day or something, so I'll leave it there.
Sir Krasniy Yastreb Ly'Piscator, KcOMI
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Duke and Arx-Piscator of Brookshire
+ Baron of Vorpmadal
+ Count of Lunaris
+ Knight Comrade of the Order of Mischievous Intent
+ MoMA SDI Director

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Actually, Scott, I'm afraid I have managed to make Carol critical of me, on several occasions. I consider it a matter of pride: Hypatia's Mom knows I can take criticism (unless you hit some very specific quirks)! Yay! :)
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Krasniy Yastreb

Ari Rahikkala wrote:unless you hit some very specific quirks
So, about that furniture-chewing habit of yours.... :evil
+ Baron of Vorpmadal
+ Count of Lunaris
+ MoMA SDI Director

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Talk about bitching about something that isn't a problem.

Hypatia's Mom: Please post whatever you like, whenever you want to, whereever you want. You spread positive feelings with your posts, unlike some people around here. *eyes Scott*
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Scott--I'm really sorry you don't like the way I affirm positive contributions. But to always be critical of something is like kicking a wounded animall--you just come off as a bully. I get mad and I do criticize when someone hurts someone else or hurts their feelings. I get mad and criticize any mean-spiritedness or prejudice. I get outrraged at injustice. I just see no purpose to being snarky just because you want me to be. I can't change who I am, and if that is not something you enjoy, then I guess I'll just keep reading your posts and LiveJournal entries and ignore them after that.

Oroigawa Koreyasu

Post by Oroigawa Koreyasu »

Perhaps I've just not been around as long as you, Scott, but I still get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when Hypatia's Mom complements any of my work. :)
Oroigawa Koreyasu
Count of McCallavre, Straylight
Count of Lesser Attera, Kildare
Count of Asantelian, Brookshire

Chairman, Senate of the Lakes, Hurmu

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Thanks for those kind comments, guys.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:An extra quote for Hypatia's Mom:

"A fully connected graph, with an edge between every two vertices, conveys the same amount of information as a graph with no edges at all." - Overcoming Bias
Turns out I didn't finish discrediting this post... I noticed this bit while in the sauna, in fact. Saunas are good for you.

You see, it is not true in the general case that a fully connected graph has the same amount of self-information as a graph without any edges. It *is* true in the case that you had no expectations other than that you'd see a graph (well, a graph with at most one edge between two vertices anyway - dunno how the math would work out if you were expecting a graph with a possibly arbitrary number of edges, but I'm really going off on a silly tangent here, am I not?). It is also true in the case that you expected to see either a fully connected or fully unconnected graph and didn't have any expectations which, and in other similar edge cases. But in the general case, that is you might or might not have expectations about the graph, the equality doesn't hold. For instance, if you actually are expecting a fully connected graph, then a nonconnected one is a big surprise and so conveys a lot of information.

Yeah, Shannon information theory is weird like that. But it shouldn't be that weird to a trained rationalist... then again it did take several hours for me to notice the mistake, too :(

To make this slightly less abstract, consider this: Because Hypatia's Mom is really nice and noncritical most of the time, you'd generally expect any message from her to also be really nice and noncritical. So if she actually does criticise you, why, that's surprising. You might say "it tells a lot about" something... and, in terms of Shannon information, you'd actually be literally right :)

* scours the rest of the new posts list... I don't usually get online on this gprs connection if I don't have to, but I did just have to put this post in, and well, now that I'm here... *
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:An extra quote for Hypatia's Mom:

If you give everything really glowing praise, all the time, that conveys the same amount of information as never praising anything. I know you're very nice, and you're very supportive of everything in Shireroth, but unless there's at least theoretically something you don't like, saying how much you like everything people do because meaningless praise. Erik usually hates stuff, so when he says something is good, I get a warm feeling because it must have been really good for him to like it. But when you say something's super-ultra-wonderful, I interpret no information in that comment beyond "Hypatia's Mom has seen this and is acknowledging its existence."

...this is a terribly rude post, isn't it? I guess that, having a heart made of coal as I do, all of your constant glowing happiness all the time about everything is just beginning to get on my nerves. I know there are worse problems, but it's just something you might want to think about.
For a bit of perspective - as far as I am concerned you are all, even Scott there, insufferably cheerful. :p

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

I find I have to leave the computer for a breather ever 5 minutes when I post in Shireroth. It's like all of your keyboards are dusted in Paxil or some other anti-depressant.

Krasniy Yastreb

You mean your Shirerithian happy pills weren't delivered? Must be a mix up in the post, I'll look into it.
+ Baron of Vorpmadal
+ Count of Lunaris
+ MoMA SDI Director

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Perhaps you spent so long in Babkha that you don't remember how to be civil and respectful of each other. People don't always have to post with a sharpened knife in their hand or on the tip of their tongue.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Colon dropped and landed on something soft - at least, softer than the street - and the something went 'mur-r-r-r-r-m!' He bounced off it and landed on something lower and softer which went 'baaaaarp!', and rolled from this on to something even lower and apparently made of feathers, which went insane. And pecked him.
The street was full of animals, milling around uncertainly. When animals are in a state of uncertainty they get nervous, and the street was already, as it were, paved with anxiety. The only benefit to Sergeant Colon was that this made it slightly softer than would otherwise have been the case.
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Mike--Which book is that quote from? I can't recall it, so I probably haven't gotten there yet. (My daughter just brought over the rest of her stash of Pratchett books to read.)

Those quotes are fun to see. Thanks.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Mike Fors wrote:Colon dropped and landed on something soft - at least, softer than the street - and the something went 'mur-r-r-r-r-m!' He bounced off it and landed on something lower and softer which went 'baaaaarp!', and rolled from this on to something even lower and apparently made of feathers, which went insane. And pecked him.
The street was full of animals, milling around uncertainly. When animals are in a state of uncertainty they get nervous, and the street was already, as it were, paved with anxiety. The only benefit to Sergeant Colon was that this made it slightly softer than would otherwise have been the case.
Feet of Clay, as I recall.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

I think that is the next one on my list. Thanks.

Malliki

Post by Malliki »

Andreas is correct.
Arbiter, Imperial Judex
Knight of the Dragon
Fan of SOAD

Demon of the North

Post by Demon of the North »