A catchy acronym

Moderators: Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Andreas the Wise

A catchy acronym

Post by Andreas the Wise »

"I need a catchy acronym."

Andreas the Wise, Baron of Atterock, and currently in a civil war (apparently) was pacing the floor and talking to himself.
"Sir?"
His aid, a diminuitive Melangian named Mar'Vel, came in with several pieces of paper he required a Baronial signature on.
"I need a catchy acronym," Andreas repeated. "You know, for the magic thing."
"Sir, I thought you were organising the LiveRaid concert?" Mar'Vel asked.
"Oh, I outsourced it," Andreas said dismissively. "What do you think of ANOVA?"
"Outsourced it!" Mar'Vel exclaimed.
"Much easier than us organising it," Andreas said, waving his hand.
"Who to?" Mar'Vel asked.
"A good question," Andreas said. "We must find out before we pay him ... a greek chap ... Evans, maybe. Monday. We're doing the postering, by the way. But there's far more important things to do ... I need a catchy acronym."
Mar'Vel was struggling to find a spare piece of paper on which to write down these details already. One arm behind his back, holding his pen in his mouth, he mumbled, "What for?"
"For the magical Academy, of course!" Andreas said, and began pacing again. "Well, not Academy. Outpost. Set of outposts, even - we'll probably have one in every county, like a chain. Hmm, CHAIN ... that could work. Something something 'Atterockian Institue (Novatania).' It has potential ... note that one down."
Mar'Vel was onto his third piece of paper now. "Sir, why exactly must the acronym be catchy?"
"Historical procedure," Andreas replied. "CHAIN ... C ..."
Mar'Vel knew one couldn't argue with historical procedure. But he had to ask, "What historical procedure, sir?"

Andreas stopped pacing and turned to face him. "Way back in ... oh, couple years ago, when I was starting my Academy, I needed a name. It was going to be the Magical Academy of Novatainia ... MAN. And then I realised we could add another A to the end ... and MANA was born. Wonderful name, brilliant idea."
"What's the second A?" Mar'Vel asked, interested.
"Academy," Andreas replied, not paying attention.
"Magical Academy of Novatainia Academy?" Mar'Vel clarified.
"Magically Arcane Novatainian Academy. Or Magical Academy of Novatainia's Aracane, never can remember. Anyway, catchy acronym - everyone just calls it MANA now. And then the Anti-MANA (may they rest in peace ... it'd make a change from what they normally do) started up and called themsevlves BONE. It was started by a past student, designed visually to look a twisted version of us, and teaching Necromancy, which had long been forbidden at MANA. BONE suited its name so well ... Barax something something something. Anyway, great acronym - says a lot about the place. Point is, we need a great acronym like that for our outpost thingies ... involving the word Novatainia, and preferably Atterock or Kildare too. How about LINK?"
"As opposed to CHAIN?" Mar'Vel was picking up the train of thought now.
"Exactly. Something Institute of Novatainia-Kildare. What's an L word that means magic?" Andreas was pacing again.
"No idea, sir," Mar'Vel confessed. "What was ANOVA again?"
"Atterockian-Novatainian Outpost of the Variously Arcane," Andreas replied. "Since we have everything from Djinn to Dryads."
"And ANOVA would indicate you analyse, and teach, multiple variables. That you have a wide scope and deal with many things," Mar'Vel inferred.
"I was just thinking it meant we used statistics, but yours sounds much better," Andreas said warmly.
"Well, I'll leave you to it, sir," Mar'Vel said. He could tell he wouldn't get any paperwork out of Andreas in this mood. "Good luck finding the acronym."
"LUCK, you could be onto something ..."
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Bayen

Re: A catchy acronym

Post by Bayen »

OOH! I know an L-word that means magic... (well, sleight-of-hand, but close enough. ;) )

Legerdemain Institute of Novatainia-Kildare! :thumbsup
Bayen ronToketi
Count of Backbone Site

Andreas the Wise

Re: A catchy acronym

Post by Andreas the Wise »

"Master Bayen, a delight for you to drop by," Andreas said, hearing the unmistakable voice of Bayen, his close friend and co-worker. "I take it you approve my proposal to start up outposts?"
"Of course," Bayen replied. "As long as you don't go around attacking Toketi or anything, I'm delighted to spread SCM further around the world."
"Many thanks," Andreas told him. "But .... nah, Legerdemain doesn't work for me ... I'm thinking ANOVA."
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Return to “County of Melangia”