Whisked Away: Part 2

Oze

Whisked Away: Part 2

Post by Oze »

The heavy wheels of the carriage clanked across the railway line. Every few minutes the carriage juddered and screeched, then continued. Viotor had never experienced anything quite like the train, and everything about it was strange to him. He was convinced that he had been attacked by the refreshments trolley, and the air conditioner above his seat just wouldn't stop buzzing. Viotor soon forgot about all of this, as he remembered what had happened to him.

In Spleazure, he had fallen into the city's drainage system, where he was captured by three mysterious men in identical uniforms. One of them had given him a package to take to the Count of Highpass in Rhodondra. Foolishly, he had accepted. On the train, he looked down at the package in his hands. There was writing on it saying 'There are people watching. If you fail to deliver this package, we will deal with you'. There was no turning back.

The more he stared at the package, the more curious he was to see what it contained. After a while, curiosity overcame him and he surreptitiously ripped it open. A piece of paper fell on his lap. It was covered with tiny numbers spiralling crazily across the page. It made no sense to him. As he was sliding it back into the package, another object fell out, a red ring. It appeared to be made of glass, and filled with a thick, red substance. It was chilling to look at, so he placed it back in the package with the paper and tried to forget about it all. He felt a twinge of homesickness. His father would need him on their farm in Vaap. As he was thinking of home, a calm voice sounded throuh the entire train. Next stop, Rhodondra. All change! All change! This train terminates here!

Rhodondra was a much nicer place than Spleazure. Viotor noticed that on every corner was a flowerbed, a shrine, or a statue. The streets were clean, and everybody seemed to be speaking Lakhesian or English. There were signposts pointing to such places as 'Temple of Rhodondra', and 'Perrynge of Highpass Museum', but none giving any clue as to the location of the Count. At the end of one street, Viotor saw a hopeful sign - The Kaiser's Head Tavern - Visitor's Questions Answered. He walked up to the door, and went in.

The tavern was full to the brim with people from every corner of Micras. The only lighting was provided by candles, and all across the wall were statues of former Kaisers of Shireroth. Viotor wandered up to the bar, where he saw a short, rotund and friendly-faced barman in front of a chillingly lifelike statue of Kaiser Mors V.
"Er...excuse me Sir" said Viotor in his best Shirithian English.
"Arr. An' what'll ye be hav'n, m'friend?" asked the barman, in an accent laden with apostrophes.
"Um...I'm not thirsty, thank you" replied Viotor, "Do you know where the Count of Highpass lives?"
"T'Coun'? T'Coun' lives jus' pas' Rhodondra Gardens. Ye can' miss i', big white build'n! Rhodondra Gardens is jus' two miles up t'road ferm here!"
"Thanks very much"

The Count's Residence was a small, but nonetheless grand house. It appeared to be made of plaster and supported by black wooden beams. Emerging from the roof was a tall bell tower. Viotor walked up to the circular door, and knocked twice. He could hear an excruciating sound, almost like screaming, behind the door. It made him tremble with fear, and he considered running away. Suddenly, the door clicked open, and there stood the Count of Highpass, clutching a violin.
"I see you've caught me during one of my recitals!" he chuckled. "I'm a big fan of Highpassian traditional music, and if I say so myself, I thought that was quite good. What do you think?"
"Yes...very good." replied Viotor, shaking. "I have a package for you."
"A package for me? From whom?"
"Some mysterious guy in a trenchoat I met in Spleazure"
"This can't be good. What's your name?"
"Viotor van Kiotol van Haak"
"Come inside, Mr Haak."

The inside of the Count's Residence was very modest indeed. The floor, walls and ceiling were wooden, red rugs adorned the floor and on the wall were several maps, a cuckoo clock and telegraphic apparatus. The Count was staring at the mysterious message and the red ring.
"This is bad. Very bad. Very bad indeed"
"But, Mr Count..."
"Call me Oze"
"But, Mr Oze, why is this bad?"
"The Institute of..."
Suddenly, shards of glass flew everywhere. Viotor crouched down, covering his head with his arms. A brick had landed in the centre of one of the red rugs. There was a message attached.

Danger is coming. Protect the Secret. Meet us in the forest.

As soon as Viotor and the Count had read this, they heard people approaching the house.
"Quick!" yelled the Count. "To the forest!"
Aaak!
Baron Oze of Ynnraile
Count of Highpass
Member of the Order of the Northern Star
Goldshirerithian, Brookshirerithian
Follower of Biternion, Spleazure and Rhodondra

Andreas the Wise

Re: Whisked Away: Part 2

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Very exciting!
And I wondered if you were going to explain why you're always holding a violin ...
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Prodigy Almighty

Re: Whisked Away: Part 2

Post by Prodigy Almighty »

Exciting tale! :yay: Keep up the good work!
Boris Ivanovich Serov ronToketi VI
Executor of Chelkran Kesh
King of Kagan conToketi
Baron of Absentia, Yardistan

Return to “County of Highpass”