We need a debate... your rebuttal?

Organizes national culture and seeks new technology
Rarkasha

We need a debate... your rebuttal?

Post by Rarkasha »

In an attempt to further the pursuit of enlightenment, I suggest we debate. That is why I put it in the Research and Education forum, by the way. Arguments are a great way to let off steam, but the best way to learn is from a structured debate.

I don't have any particulars on structure or rules, but I do suggest that we debate points of philosophy rather than academic or political issues, since academic issues might lead to an unfair advantage in knowledge, while philosophy can almost always be discussed adequatly, even on basic levels.

Braden Indianensis
Location: Number 12 Concord Street, Nafticon, Republic of Antica

Post by Braden Indianensis »

I think this is an excellent idea. I would much rather have people expressing opinions in the civilized form of debating than simply yelling profanities at eachother and attacking eachother with as much violence as possible. Not that I have anything against yelling. Or profanities. Or indeed violence. Actually, that kinda puts a hole in my argument. Nevertheless, this is a great idea and I can't believe it has never been thought of before in Shireroth, a nation with so many angry political factions. But my soup is done, so I must go. I SHALL...RETURN!
Antican Ambassador to Shireroth and Babkha
Former Speaker of the Assembly of the Republic of Antica
Reporter for the Antican Liberator
Elder Guard of the Order of the Vorpal Blade

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Hmmmm. Philosophical debates as a means of enlightenment... I like it. I'm not incredibly articulate on philosophy myself, sadly, but as long as people kept to plain language, it sounds like it might work out.

Did you have any ideas for particular points to be debated?

Rarkasha

Post by Rarkasha »

Many and none. That is to say, I have many half formed ideas, but I can't really suggest much for this debate. Off the top of my head, I'd say a good two-sided debate would be a discussion on greed in man, the sides being which one of the two is stronger: tangible or intangible greed?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Tangible or intangible greed? I'm guessing that refers to what kind of item the greed is directed toward... tangible greed being a greed for money, food, Star Wars collectibles, etc., while intangible greed being a greed for something like power, or influence, or adoration. Am I interpreting that right?

Rarkasha

Post by Rarkasha »

Correct. "Winning" the argument would mean convincing the audience and/or your opponent that one is more common or powerful in comparison than the other.

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

Honestly, we really don't have too many political factions. The OBC, the radicals, and the recent immigrants. Three. :)
There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

Post by Nick Foghorn Leghorn »

*considers importing the NWP*
Count of Norfolk

Braden Indianensis

Can some sorts of intangible greed--i.e., the need for love-- really be termed "greed," since they're something healthy and natural? If so, all human beings are greedy. Of course, all human beings are greedy anyway. It's part of human nature, though the strength of said greediness varies from person to person (but that opens up a whole new debate about the existance of good and evil.) And ultimately, we can't totally defy our nature (though we should try.) And what about tangible greed? That stems from things humans created themselves, and since the need to create is also part of human nature, and human nature basically governs most of our actiobs on the basic level, then tangible greed is just as strong as intangible greed.

Rarkasha

Post by Rarkasha »

But greed is defined as wanting something more than one needs or deserves. So there can be a greed for love, but not necessarily for everyone. But yes, nearly all human beings express some form of greed. But which is more common? Does it seem better, morally, to have greed for material things or the things immaterial?

But we really should save this for the debate. I don't want to take either side, since I proposed the debate. Is there anyone else who might be interested in judging or debating?

Kaiseress Semisa I

Post by Kaiseress Semisa I »

I'll debate for the "intangible" side.
Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo. --St. Augustine

Braden Indianensis

I still say they're equal.

Kaiseress Semisa I

So debate for the "there is no difference" side.

Braden Indianensis

MAYBE I WILL!

Nevertheless, if we're going to have a debate, I'd like to know where and when it will be held.

Rarkasha

Post by Rarkasha »

Hell, we could have three sides: both, intangible, and tangible.

But like I said, I'm not very good with particulars. I suppose the Shrine of Controversy would be a good place to hold it. But we also need some judges of some sort.

Kaiseress Semisa I

Actually, it should be held in here.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

That it should. And it will; if we can get someone to come in on the side of tangible greed, I'll open a thread for the purpose.

Return to “Department of Research and Education”