Nifty Technology of the Week (11/4/05)

Organizes national culture and seeks new technology
Shyriath

Nifty Technology of the Week (11/4/05)

Post by Shyriath »

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun...index.htmlOkay, so this isn't the usual sort of niftytech I go on about. But this strikes close to my heart. The Myst computer game series, which I loved (except for Myst III, for some reason), has finally come to an end... and, more importantly, so has the storyline.This is a time of mourning for me, in a way. Myst V seems to be the culmination of all that went before, and yet it also stands as a monument to what will never be. In Uru, which was my favorite of all, we got to explore the ruins of fabled D'ni itself, to see and understand the remnants of the civilization that produced the Linking Books. And yet there was so much more that seemed to be promised; new expansion packs, access to parts of the city that one could only see but not enter. A veritable endless horizon of discovery, just in D'ni itself, not to speak of the Ages!But then that endless future had the door shut in its face. By all accounts, Myst V is a worthy end to the series, but it cannot embody all that Uru could have been.*Bows his head*

AngelGuardian93

Re: Nifty Technology of the Week (11/4/05)

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

I never played myst, but I did respect it. I too shall mourn the passing of a class act. *bows head*Of course, if it does well, they'll just bring about some stupid sequal... There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

//cries Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

Cries about the passing of a game, or that they might make an illigitamate child game? There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Either, really. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Plays through Uru, takes pictures with his KI as if to preserve the memories*

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

*cries for the demise of UruLive, which shut down a few days after I got broadband*I mean seriously, it's such an injustice!!I want to play Myst and Riven again. I missed number four completely, and I liked Exile, just for the record.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

You really should play number four. It's got some mind-blowing stuff.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

The selection of PC games anywhere in Dublin is absolutely abysmal. For instance, the expansion to Rome Total War is pretty much everywhere, but just you try finding an actual copy of RTW..I'll see if I can get it for Christmas or something. Or maybe there'll be a five-pack out by then. Oooh, that'd be sweet.

Return to “Department of Research and Education”