A Newbie who wants to teach...

Organizes national culture and seeks new technology
Bakaness

Post by Bakaness »

Hey Everybody, My name's Lillith, I'm one of Eoin's newbies, and for some strange reason I like teaching people things. Anyway, I'm a 3rd year education student, and teaching stuff seemed like a good place to start. I'm a science student, and would be happy to teach a class on chemistry or random cool things about science (they exist, I assure you). I'd also be willing to teach Spanish, basic Portugese, or other stuff I'm too sleepy to think of right now. Would any of this be of use to people? I can also just be a homework-helper type person for high school chem and bio, if there's any demand for that. (Sorry, I don't know the average age of people here)Anyway, that's pretty much all I have to say for myself at the moment. Lillith

Shyriath

Re: A Newbie who wants to teach...

Post by Shyriath »

Hello, hello!...Well, the average age here seems to cluster vaguely around twenty, but I think there are still a good few of us in high school (though on the other hand, some of us are out of college). But of course, even the most educated of us can use a little refresher now and then... especially those of us who did poorly in, say, chemistry... *Hides his old chem grades behind his back* But please, do go ahead and teach; we can always use some learning. I'll leave it up to you to determine which class... or classes, if you have the energy for more than one at once!... that you want to focus on. But if I might offer some advice, you might want to include the "cool things about science" class, which by its very coolness seems likely to attract and keep attention. Portuguese might also prove a good choice, since there are a good number of Portuguese-speaking micronations out there somewhere, and knowing the language would probably help in learning about them.When you're ready to teach, feel free to begin in the University, and don't hesitate to ask further questions if needed.

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

*displays his 31% in Chemistry which caused him to drop it loudly*I failed because I was writing a play the night before my mock exam. Tell no-one.. Wil Nider to the HyperboreansEoin to the restZirandorthel to the ages

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

I didn't fail chemistry in high school, but I didn't fail it in college either... because I had to leave college before I took chemistry! Mwahahaha! *runs off laughing maniacly back to Yardistan*Ok, tre nifty, i'd be up for some interesting science, just dont expect me to get it. There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

I'm in high school chemistry right now, as a matter of fact.What are extensive and intensive properties? They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

How about you help me in college chemistry, then? Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismPissing off Micras, one nation at a timeProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="Why do I need some cheese?";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock. - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

Bakaness

Post by Bakaness »

Bill3000: I'll help you if I can, but I'm still in uni myself. Osmose1000: can you give me some context for that?Hm... I've been thinking about a cool science stuff course... and from seeing a religion called B00mism (can't remember the exact l33t for it, sorry) - I trust a bit on how to make low-grade explosives (aka stuff that's less likely to kill you) would go down well?I was also thinking of covering how brainwashing/learning happens, and explaining how things work, if people are curious about things. (By this I mean - you ask me how something works, I tell you)If I'm feeling really adventerous, I may stray into theoretical astrophysics, which is cooler and less intimidating than it sounds. (Theoretical, cause I suck at maths)Does this sound good to people?

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

//Steeples fingersExcellent. Blindness Is A Blessing

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

The extensive and intensive properties of matter have something to do with the mass that's there, I think, but I'm not totally sure. That's about all I can scrape up from my mind. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Quote: //Steeples fingersExcellent.I second that.

Bakaness

Re: An Answer! I have an Answer!

Post by Bakaness »

Ok, here's the deal. Extrinsic properties change with how much stuff you have - intrinsic properties stay the same.Let's use water as an example. Pretend you have a glass of it. (Or don't, and get a glass with water in it, if you're feeling all active. Up to you.)Here's some things about that water:That water has a density. That water has a colour (hopefully clear. clear counts as a colour in chemistry).That water has a temperature. That water has a mass. That water has a volume.If you add more (of the same sort of) water to the glass, some of those things will change. Obviously, more water weighs more than less water, so that changes. (Extrinsic) More water also takes up more space, so that it has more volume. (Also extrinsic).Now, unless you add hot water to the glass (which is cheating) the water will be the same temperature. More water does not necessarily mean it's a different temperature. Therefore, it's intrinsic. The density of water also won't change with more water, neither will the colour. Those are intrinsic properties. Similar, more obvious intrinsic properties are things like atomic mass. A water mollecule will always (usually. pretend like it's always) have a mollecular mass of 18.016, regardless of how MANY water mollecules you're talking about. Does it make a bit more sense now?There's a pretty picture of it on this page antoine.frostburg.edu/che...ndex.shtml if you scroll down a bit, if you want a touch more clarification.

Fax Celestis

Re: An Answer! I have an Answer!

Post by Fax Celestis »

Wow. Teach me something. Blindness Is A Blessing

Bakaness

Post by Bakaness »

... ok. Fact: the only thing more evil than organic chemistry, to my knowledge, is physical chemistry.Physical chemistry is not, like I first thought, the chemistry of physical things. It is the PHYSICS OF CHEMISTRY! RUN! SCREAMING! AWAY! Ahem. Because mixing physics and chemistry can be nothing other than evil.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Quote:Because mixing physics and chemistry can be nothing other than evil.I disagree. It can be nothing more than being cool and nifty beyond belief, but this comes from a BME major with a fascination in physics. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismPissing off Micras, one nation at a timeProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="Why do I need some cheese?";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock. - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

I smite my science teacher for saying Extensive and not Extrinsic. Much thanks. And Bill, you're Bill. Of course you love physics. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Density is a bit different, however. At least when it comes to gases, density is usually changed rather than the volume of the substance. Rather, n (number of moles of a substane) is increased, while V stays the same - as such, it can be considered an extensive property, at least from what I believe. I think it relates to the fact that an extensive property depends on how much mass you have in a system, while keeping the rest fixed. Then there's specific quantities, which are extensive properties per unit mass or mole, and are similar to intensive properties. Good example of this would be specific heat capacity, the amount of heat capacity (heat per temperature) per unit mass or mole.I just noticed that the words are different, so this most likely means that they are two different concepts that, while related, are not the same.Chemistry seems to involve from the getgo multivariable functions - at least when it comes to thermodynamics. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismPissing off Micras, one nation at a timeProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="Why do I need some cheese?";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock. - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);Edited by: Bill3000 at: 9/14/05 6:43

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

*walks away from the thread shaking his head* There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Bakaness

Post by Bakaness »

Well... I was trying to keep it simple... and with gasses pressure is more commonly used, rather than density... Personally, I think that's a really stupid way of classifying properties, and I'm glad my high school chem teachers never bothered with it. The intrinsic/extrinsic system reminds me of the Farenheit system - plain old stupid, and poorly defined. ( 0 degrees F is defined as the temperature of a particually cold morning in London, and 100 degrees F is the temperature at which butter melts, which is stupid, as since butter isn't a pure substance, begins melting and ends melting at different temperatures.)

Return to “Department of Research and Education”