Laqi Alphabet

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Laqi Alphabet

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

Finally, the Laqi Alphabet has been completed, as well as some basic phrases I'll be adding soon for your delectation. The observant may notice that the name of language, Laqi, contains a 'q', wheras the alphabet does not.
This is due to the 'q' being the closest exact English transliteration of how the Laqi pronounce the name of their own language, the exact name of which I have written down in the International Phoenetic System somewhere.
A- `a´ as in apple
B- hard `b´ as in bet
C- `ts´ or `tz´ as in kibbutz
D-`d´ as in `dot´
E- acute `e´ as in French soufflé
G- hard `g´ as in great
I- `ee´ as in need
J- `y´ as in year
K- `k´ as in kill
L- `l´ as in lemon
L- as in the Polish- soft English `w´ as in where
M- `m´ as in meat
N- `n´ as in nearly
`ny´ as in Chechnya
O- short `o´ as in lot
`oe´ as in German ö
P- `p´ as in party
R- `r´ as in really
S- `s´ as in simple
S- `sh´ as in sharp
T- `t´ as in toast
U- `oo´ as in good
ort `u´ as in tug
V- German `v´ (i.e soft `v´)
X- `ch´ as in cheese
`kh´ as in loch
ips preceeding vowel or consonant short
Z- `z´ as in zebra
Z- soft `zh´ or the `su´ in leisure
EDIT: I'm not quite sure which encoding is best used to display the letters for kh, oe, and the short u. All three of them are extended Cyrillic letters, which can be found in Kazakh and Azeri. I've tried Unicode encoding but IE doesn't seem to like that either. Any help? *looks for Ari hopefully*

Ari Rahikkala

Re: Laqi Alphabet

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Well, if IE doesn't want to understand UTF-8, it's... uh... I have no idea what to do about that, really.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

So, I assume you can see those characters which can't display on my version of IE then?

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Kaiser Mors V

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

Ever since I took a linguistics class.. I can't look at conlangs seriously anymore...

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Meh. You can laugh if you want ;)
I've tried to keep the phrases and conjugation construction similar to Turkish- given the links between Turkish and the other further Eastern Altaic languages upon which Laqi is based. I've also tried to make the language appear like some of the Turkic languages did when the Soviets imposed Latin scripts on them in the 1920s- in particular Tuvinian/Tuvan. I've not done vowel harmony though. If you want to laugh at a conlang, I suggest taking a peek at Gaianano (no offence to its creator Hieu, but it is a bit simplistic).

benkern

Post by benkern »

Who cares if you offend? That language has so little to do with Gaia its stupid.
By His H47,
Baron Benkern of Vorpmadal, Yardistan.
"Like us or hate us, someone will still hold the torch. You might as well try to like us." - Harvey Steffke
"Tis not a leaving of a harried knave/Tis not with tail tucked in shame/Rather in glorious exhibition of benevolent might/Sun bids the world an emblazon g'night."
"But every beginning is only a continuation and the book of fate is always open in the middle."

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

To hell with the niceties. Gaianano and Craitlandish are pretty crap as conlangs. They may look original but the former just adds vowels everywhere and the latter is just accent-ridden.

Kaiser Mors V

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

I just meant.. people seem to focus on written form... and forget that writing is a secondary creation of language.... may I suggest you investigate IPA...(international phonetic Alphabet) when saying how things are pronounced...

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Yeah, I've already used some of it for the basic phrases, though I have tried my best to make Laqi phoenetic. However, there are some changes in stress which are important in pronunciation.

Craitman

Post by Craitman »

Maksym Hadjimehmetov wrote:To hell with the niceties. Gaianano and Craitlandish are pretty crap as conlangs. They may look original but the former just adds vowels everywhere and the latter is just accent-ridden.
*Craitish

And I was like 13 when I constructed it, which is why it's so (admittedly) crap - but it's traditional and easy to translate :p
(Bit late, I know, but I only just noticed this thanks to the Laqi independence stuff :))

AryezturMejorkhor

Post by AryezturMejorkhor »

Its funny you mention that, Mors V. I can't look that seriously at conlangs anymore myself ever since I started seriously learning real languages. Not enough time/mental space.
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

Nowadays I just do conlanging to explore weird ideas about linguistics.

Return to “County of Modan-Lach”