Skills

Home to the University's gaming club, which just so happens to be making their own gaming system.
Kaiseress Semisa I

Skills

Post by Kaiseress Semisa I »

I haven't come up with a list of skills as of yet, but I want to do something similar to the following:

1. Each skill is based off a percentile, much like intelligence testing is done. Untrained people probably fall into the 10-15th percentile, while trained ones are at 50th. Better than 95th percentile is impossible.

2. Initial ranks in skills are determined by your background(s).

3. Skills are raised in two ways: (1) spending experience gained; (2) every time the character uses a skill, there is a slight chance to raise the skill.

This is actually the part I'm most uncertain of, but I think it's a good way to work around a level-based system, which is terribly one-tracked.
Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo. --St. Augustine

Kaiseress Semisa I

Further thought:

If you're based upon a percentile, then in order to succeed at a skill, one must roll under the percentile.

Now, including the method of increase outlined above, let us assume the following:

By rolling doubles (11, 22, 33, 44, etc.) on a succeeding roll, one has a chance of increasing their skill.

Then, rolling a second set of dice after the doubles, if one's roll is above the current percentile, increase your percentile by 3 points.

Example:

I have a score of 30 for Pick Locks. I roll a 22, a successful roll as well as an opportunity to increase my score. In order to increase my score, I roll again. If it's below 30, I don't increase my score. The second roll, I roll a 54: a successful increase. I therefore increase my score to 33.

Note that those with higher percentiles have more opportunities to attempt an increase, but have a harder time increasing them.

Thoughts?

Kaiseress Semisa I

And a preliminary list of skills.

Note how some of these are a bit general (or can be used in multiple applications). When one reaches a score of 50 or more, take a specialty. Basically, with a specialty, one increases their percentile with any action reasonably involving that skill by ten points.
  • Stealth
  • Archery
  • Firearms
  • Melee
  • Unarmed
  • Lockpick
  • Pick Pocket
  • Forgery
  • Disguise
  • Camouflage
  • Repair
  • Craft
  • Trap
  • Cook
  • Security
  • Athletics
  • Throwing
  • Science
  • Medicine
  • Persuasion
  • Bluff
  • Taunt
  • Spellcraft
  • Survival
  • Herbology
  • Construction
  • Awareness
  • Machinery
  • Politics
  • Heraldry
  • Oratory
  • Music
  • Performance
  • Computers
  • Ride
  • Drive
  • Sail
  • Demolitions
  • Religion
  • Knowledge
  • Language
  • Rope Use
  • Swim
  • Gaming
  • Scribe
  • Brew
  • Appraise
  • Mathematics
  • Haggle
  • Animal Husbandry
  • Gardening
  • Farming
  • Electronics
  • Machinery
  • Seduction
[/list]

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

Sounds good, but how will we regulate the dice? Just trust that they really did role that?
There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Return to “The 400 Wing”