The Release of the Micras copyright

Maps Shireroth's land and interacts with the worldwide Micronational Cartography Society.

Moderator: Shyriath

benkern

The Release of the Micras copyright

Post by benkern »

http://www.micromaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549

Ryan has released his copyright over the map of Micras. Under the terms, the names of Ryan Caruso, Erik Metzler and Scott Alexander are to be affixed to the map under all circumstances. This basically means the map of Micras is now open for the entire community to use, provided they follow the terms laid out in that post. The MCS obviously still uses Micras, but now this means a fake MCS would be entirely legal.

A question - why can I Sticky/Announce/Global this post?
By His H47,
Baron Benkern of Vorpmadal, Yardistan.
"Like us or hate us, someone will still hold the torch. You might as well try to like us." - Harvey Steffke
"Tis not a leaving of a harried knave/Tis not with tail tucked in shame/Rather in glorious exhibition of benevolent might/Sun bids the world an emblazon g'night."
"But every beginning is only a continuation and the book of fate is always open in the middle."

Kaiser Mors V

Re: The Release of the Micras copyright

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

My question is why did he do such a thing?

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

It makes sense to me, if people kept complaining at him about whatever in the map. He did commit some slight abuse of notation there though... it doesn't really make any legal sense to "release the copyright" while still keeping restrictions on how people may use the map... the only way to interpret what he did that makes sense to me is to say he still owns the copyright and only changed the redistribution and modification license.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

benkern

Post by benkern »

I think you're right there Ari, but hopefully we'll never argue about Micras so much that that would become an issue.
By His H47,
Baron Benkern of Vorpmadal, Yardistan.
"Like us or hate us, someone will still hold the torch. You might as well try to like us." - Harvey Steffke
"Tis not a leaving of a harried knave/Tis not with tail tucked in shame/Rather in glorious exhibition of benevolent might/Sun bids the world an emblazon g'night."
"But every beginning is only a continuation and the book of fate is always open in the middle."

Kaiser Mors V

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

Honestly.. I'd like to see it pass to Scott and myself... where it belongs... legally.. and technically..

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Return to “Directorate of Cartography”