UPDATING THE CLAIMSMAP

Maps Shireroth's land and interacts with the worldwide Micronational Cartography Society.

Moderator: Shyriath

Aurangzeb Khan

Re: UPDATING THE CLAIMSMAP

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

My bad. Anyway thanks for carrying that forward Shyriath. I guess the only thing now is to forward the full size copy to the MCS.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

It's not done yet. I would like more cities still.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Malliki Tosha wrote:I have no idea what the Atrechtian colonies are.
Look here, at the place where Fort Catolina would be. :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Okay, and that is a formal thing? Seems like you like to expand Sermolot.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Malliki Tosha wrote:Okay, and that is a formal thing? Seems like you like to expand Sermolot.
I don't think it's wort a big fight, but in case of the Atrechtian Colonies I want to explain the following: that was an expansion in the Duchal Era by Greater Audentior (it was the first expansion after the removal of my Barony). ;)

http://shireroth.org/shirewiki/Greater_ ... #Provinces
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

There are some cities already in Lywind. The biggest is known as Lyhigh iirc. *looks for maxmap*

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Malliki Tosha wrote:Okay, and that is a formal thing? Seems like you like to expand Sermolot.
Did you perchance miss the whole Baronial Empire of Sermolot "We're going to start with very little land and accumulate stuff over time" bit the Duchal-Kildare era? Stuff happened, it didn't always get updated to maps, but it happened a while ago.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Andreas the Wise

To the Diri Cart, from an ex-Cartographer with an interest in Kildarian heritage: http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 09#p155809
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

First: Those are awesome maps, there in that thread.

Second: Since Jonas seems willing to go along with it, in the latest version of the claim map I have once again depicted Audentior, New Jasonia, and Demesos separately, with "(Serm.)" to denote the county they now fall under. I will ask the Kaiser if he will permit this representation in the official claim to the MCS.

(edit: Er. Let's try that image again...

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Also: Daniel, you are quite correct; I just saw Max's map on the wiki.

Therefore, the next version of the tentative claims map, Lywind will have the cities of Lyhigh, Kurpla, and Twoggle, despite certain misgivings about that last name. Also, Araxion will have Araxion near the source of the Elwynn; Smjorkyr will have Frieden added to it, on the basis of this map; and Amarr will have Boomwatch added, because it is on this map and reeks of pure awesomeness.

For adding further cities:

-Araxion will have only one city after the changes listed above, although it's small enough on the map that we can probably refrain from trying to give it another; ditto for Cimmeria and Bjorngard, and probably Benacia.
-Illumination could use a second city, particularly in the southern part.
-Western Absentia could use a second city, either on the northern coast or somewhere in the southern interior.
-Holwinn and Syrelwynn could both use a second city; maybe along the river?
-Elsenar, Monty Crisco, Kralizec, Crestfall Downs, Caverden, Shimmerspring could all definitely use second cities.
-Woodshire's wiki article implies that the county is mostly agricultural and divided into estates, but maybe one of the estates could have developed into a village or something.
-Naudia'Diva has no towns at all, unless you count MoMA Station Sagittarius. I'm hesitant to add more than one, though; I was around when that county was first developed, and the whole point of it was that it wasn't really populated except by a religious order devoted to... Horjin, I think. Also, probably not much map room for more than one city.
-The Apollonian counties are pretty well populated, on a towns-per-county basis. Norfolk is the exception here, although one could argue that it will make up for it by number of military installations; nonetheless, another town could be wedged onto one of the islands. Also, Novi Dalmacija, though it has four towns, is so huge that it looks relatively empty, so we could consider giving it more.

Andreas the Wise

Woah. I completely missed the post where Ardy covered outer Atterock in MoMA bases :o

Ardy, are you sure that three military bases in an island chain known for their piracy is a good idea? And though I'm loathe to put one on Melangia for cultural reasons (the Melangians are fairly peaceful, Mel'Kat being rather an oddity), it does make sense strategically. I'm not convinced about the name though. I might think up another more suitable one, if you don't mind.

On the topic of cities and bases: since Microton has a Naval Base would you like to put one on the map there? Also, Shyriath, I'll try and think up a city or two for Norfolk and add them on for you. You'll need to provide a full size version of your latest map if you want me to add stuff though (whether you link to it or display the whole image I don't mind, but I can't edit a smaller version).
Q - Director of SAMIN

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I'm not sure why it's displaying smaller, but I never made any changes to the size from Ardy's version...

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Ardy, are you sure that three military bases in an island chain known for their piracy is a good idea? And though I'm loathe to put one on Melangia for cultural reasons (the Melangians are fairly peaceful, Mel'Kat being rather an oddity), it does make sense strategically. I'm not convinced about the name though. I might think up another more suitable one, if you don't mind.
I can live with an alternative name for Los Alamos. Moreover I'm sure the MoMA can come to an accommodation with the pirates of the Norfolk isles... in that we will only hang them on sight when they are spotted on days containing the letter 'y'. I naturally sympathise with the distress that the Melangians might feel at the prospect of hosting an extensive military facility but I would note that in these troubled times the defence of the realm must take a prominent place in the considerations of the Imperial Government.

Kaiser Ikol II

Post by Kaiser Ikol II »

If the Ministry of Military Affairs wanted to improve its relations with the civilian population, it might do well to publicize these bases and allow the local populations to choose culturally appropriate names.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

You'll need to provide a full size version of your latest map if you want me to add stuff though (whether you link to it or display the whole image I don't mind, but I can't edit a smaller version).
I'm not sure why it's displaying smaller, but I never made any changes to the size from Ardy's version...
I think I've figured out what's going on here. Whatever's happening to the file seems to be a result of uploading to Photobucket; every version of this map that I've tried uploading to it turns out small. But I tried uploading one of them to the wiki as a test, and it doesn't seem to have te same problem. Andreas, see if that one on the wiki works for you; and me, I'm going to try to find an image host that doesn't distort uploaded files.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Despite the fact that it is rapidly becoming the all-consuming overmind of the internet, I love Google sometimes. Let's try this:

Edit: OWNED.

Andreas the Wise

Kildarian Update:

Changes:
- Base on Melangia renamed Fort Jackabar. (Trawling the wiki for historical records of Kildarian military exploits revealed that a Stone Jackabar was once Duke of Kildare and "Military Man o' Shireroth", so that seems suitably historical)
- People wanted cities, so I added two to Norfolk, one for the pirates (Cape Rackham) and one for the the Governor (Traisoss, for lack of a better carribean sounding name). Unfortunately the place I'd intended to put the Governor port was taken by a planned MoMA base, so I ditched the MoMA base. Two should be quite enough, especially since I added the Microton Naval Base in.
- See last sentence of the line above.
- Fixed the spelling of Fort Carolina (though Jonas may not like it there - wasn't that where you put an Atrechtian colony?)
- Added two cities to Nova Dalmacija - Hyptagrad and Breizagrad, in keeping with the naming style. Breiza is the god of peace, apparently, which seemed appropriate.

Also, Ardy, apparently the Atterockian Navy is parked at Norfolk (in a the infinite wisdom of a previous Baron). Let's say that's on the top centre island.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Ardy, is it possible for me to give "Base 3-C" in Lakhesis a Lakhesian name?

Also, we need to redo the capital symbols. Perhaps the dot with three lines could be House capitals and the chevron could be county capitals?
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Works for me, though we'd need a definitive list of county capitals... A lot of them can be inferred from context or from past precedent, but they might not all be that easy.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

For the Mortis lands I suggest the following:
House capital: Cercé, Monty Crisco
Lakhesis: Mortis Mercatoria
Modan-Lach: Brookshire Hamlet
Kralizec: Alexandretta
Monty Crisco: Cercé
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Malliki, feel free. 3-C was just a placeholder name.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Thanks. I'll have one for you soon.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Hmm. Since Modan-Lach is the core county, I'd've thought that Brookshire Hamlet would be the House capital... But then, no one ever said the two had to be linked, did they?...

Also, this won't come into play on this claims map because the MCS (to my knowledge) still doesn't recognize sancts, but Sunderspray has a more-or-less capital at Callamen's Eye off the Elwynn delta.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Ah okay, well, perhaps Brookshire Hamlet should be the capital for the reasons you say. That would probably be the most logical and the reason we made core counties.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Kaiser Ikol II

Post by Kaiser Ikol II »

Hmm. Since Modan-Lach is the core county, I'd've thought that Brookshire Hamlet would be the House capital... But then, no one ever said the two had to be linked, did they?...
Sorta unrelated, but I was reading the archives the other day, and I learned that Brookshire Hamlet was the old capital of Shireroth, before Shirekeep was built sometime toward the end of the 7th Republic. I hadn't known that.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Heh, figures. I didn't know either.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Newport City FC

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I did.. I kept quiet about it.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I did a great big update to this. I added a bunch of cities in places that seemed to need cities, mostly in the former Goldenbrook area; in those cases where there was no guide to what other cities should be there, I tried to figure out what theme there might be and pick something vaguely consistent (except Timothea, which is a reference to something I saw in the Shirekeep article). Nonetheless, still more work to do there.

I tried to indicate as many county capitals as possible that seemed obvious, or the only cities at the time, or could be confirmed by the wiki, and that someone didn't already own. A number of counties already had that chevron symbol for a city, and I tended to leave those in place. If possible, I would like confirmations of capitals for Cape Farewell, Alalehzamin (I assume Ardashirshahr, but best to check), the Raynor Isles, and Lesser Attera. And... I forgot to put Musica in as one, I think (Musica is its own county, right?)

By happy chance, the House capitals seem to already be in the right places.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Also: Erik, any thoughts on other Monty Crisco cities? For Kralizec I'd rather wait till Jadie gets back, although I'm tempted to suggest "Kelbia".

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Does Monty Crisco need more cities?

Return to “Directorate of Cartography”