Negotiates with foreign powers; make diplomatic requests here

Moderator: Jacobus Loki

Henzelli

The Free Laqi Republic, Request from Ashkenatza

Post by Henzelli »

A telegram arrives from Ashkenatza
Communique dated 4 August, 2010
Ruzhin Palace, Office of the Nohsi

The Republic of Ashkenatza is seeking a peaceful end to the situation in the Laqi Free Republic. Well aware of the 24 hour deadline given to the Laqi to withdraw and allow Shirerithean military forces back into the Barony, we are prepared to recognize the independence of the Laqi Free Republic.

Ashkenatza would therefore like to avoid a large-scale military conflict, and come to a resolution that is mutually agreeable for all parties involved. Please regard this request for dialogue with the greatest urgency it is intended to convey.

Bartolomeo Henzelli,
Ninth Nohsi of the Republic
Republic of Ashkenatza
Ruzhin Palace, Kolmenitzkiy
Ninth Nohsi of the Republic of Ashkenatza

Henzelli

Re: The Free Laqi Republic, Request from Ashkenatza

Post by Henzelli »

The Nohsi has issued this Statement, Nohsibafel XIX, an executive order, recognizing the Free Laqi Republic.

We are informing the Shirithian Foreign Ministry of this development so that they are properly prepared when they decide to enter dialogue with the Republic of Ashkenatza and Free Laqi Republic.

Thank you.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

First we'll get those Laqi's back in line and then we will invade Ashkenatza as revenge of their recognition! :evil

(Just starting an international conflict :document :p )
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Bring it on, old chap. :)

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Aurangzeb Khan wrote:Bring it on, old chap. :)
We will meet each other at the Siege of Kolmenitzky. :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Henzelli

Post by Henzelli »

The twenty-four hour ultimatum given the Laqi has obviously expired.

Gentlemen, it brings me no amount of pleasure to inform the Ministry of the Exterior of the Kingdom of Shireroth that as of 5:01 PM EST, 5 August, 2010, the Republic of Ashkenatza is at war.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I possibly misinterpreted this but... was this telegram an ultimatum? :fish

What Ashenatza calls 'dialogue' is what I understand as: "If you don't give in, we will declare war." :knife :p

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

>kingdom of shireroth

The country you are trying to reach is not in service. Please try again later.

Henzelli

Post by Henzelli »

No, the reason that it went in this particular direction is because of the 24 hour ultimatum given to the Laqi. I requested an extension of the ultimatum or a revocation thereof, because the Ashkenatzi were already moving ahead with unilateral issuing of passports and citizenship to the Laqi in order to defend them if the worst were to happen.

Receiving no notification that this ultimatum had been removed, we are now obligated to defend our citizens. This was not intended as an ultimatum, but actions taken necessitate further action.

If you would like to now revise your position on sending the military into the Laqi Republic, Ashkenatza is still open to dialogue.

Though I think a summer recwar is still a delicious idea, we should pursue with all haste any means of peaceful resolution.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Henzelli wrote: If you would like to now revise your position on sending the military into the Laqi Republic, Ashkenatza is still open to dialogue.

Though I think a summer recwar is still a delicious idea, we should pursue with all haste any means of peaceful resolution.
Personally I would like to drive Ashkenatzan forces back to their homeland when they arrive. :evil :thumbsup

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Personally I would like to nuke them and end this war before it starts.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Henzelli wrote:No, the reason that it went in this particular direction is because of the 24 hour ultimatum given to the Laqi. I requested an extension of the ultimatum or a revocation thereof, because the Ashkenatzi were already moving ahead with unilateral issuing of passports and citizenship to the Laqi in order to defend them if the worst were to happen.

Receiving no notification that this ultimatum had been removed, we are now obligated to defend our citizens. This was not intended as an ultimatum, but actions taken necessitate further action.

If you would like to now revise your position on sending the military into the Laqi Republic, Ashkenatza is still open to dialogue.

Sorry, did you just imply that the Laqi people are not an independent nation but are in fact a thinly veiled Ashkenatzan land grab; in which case you're not declaring war to 'rescue' them but to seize our territory?
(gosh, I love having me in our propaganda department :angel )
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser B'caw I

Post by Kaiser B'caw I »

The check is in the mail, Andreas. ...Of course, as MiniTrade, you've probably already paid yourself... :document

This might possibly have gone differently had I been not in a state of shock yesterday, and answered this communique... but then again, perhaps not. As things stand, if the renegade County of Modan-Lach were to show willingness, as Elwynn has, of entering negotiations with the Imperial Government in good faith, then I would be happy to oblige; but thus far the only indications of such are coming from Ashkenatza, rather than the Laqi themselves. If peace is what is truly desired, both the Laqi and the Ashkenatzim have strange ways of showing it.

Unless and until the Laqi themselves come forth to ask for peace and reconciliation, instead of relying on other nations to impinge upon Shireroth's sovereign affairs on their behalf, I see no reason to refrain from military operations in Modan-Lach. And should Ashkenatza choose to continue the course of war, then, however we may, we will fight back.

Henzelli

Post by Henzelli »

Andreas the Wise wrote:Sorry, did you just imply that the Laqi people are not an independent nation but are in fact a thinly veiled Ashkenatzan land grab; in which case you're not declaring war to 'rescue' them but to seize our territory?
No. The Ashkenatzi government felt it best to give the Laqi a guarantee. Our recognition of them and desire to see them an independent country necessitates more than just words, especially considering that of the declarations of recognition, Ashkenatza is the closest and in the best position to help their cause. The Ashkenatzi government does not promote an expansionism of the kind you are insinuating. Very similarly to the way Russia helped guarantee and end the conflict in Abkhazia and S. Ossetia in the early 90's, we were intending to do the same. However, in the same grain as Russia was obligated to come to their defense in 2008, we are now obligated to come to the defense of the Laqi.

(Though on a side note, your ability to read non-existent meaning into things makes you a delightful propagandist. Bravo. :yay: )
Unless and until the Laqi themselves come forth to ask for peace and reconciliation, instead of relying on other nations to impinge upon Shireroth's sovereign affairs on their behalf, I see no reason to refrain from military operations in Modan-Lach. And should Ashkenatza choose to continue the course of war, then, however we may, we will fight back.
If the Shirerithian war machine would be so inclined to withdraw its forces for a period of say, another 24 hours, I would be able to contact the leader of the Laqi and discuss the reality of the situation with him and hopefully begin a process whereby a peaceful resolution can be found. Barring that, I am afraid that the Ashkenatzi government and general staff will be obliged to follow on in such a course of war.

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

What are Russia, Abkhazia, and S Ossetia?

Are you off your medication Herr Henzelli?

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

if the renegade County of Modan-Lach were to show willingness, as Elwynn has, of entering negotiations with the Imperial Government in good faith, then I would be happy to oblige
I would advise Your Niftiness to read over the Laqi declaration of independence and other relevant documents released at that time by my administration once more. The Laqi Free Republic declared its intention to find a diplomatic solution from Day 1. What we got in response was 'You have 24 hours to vacate modan-lach', after which we had no choice but to mobilise.
At least part of the blame for the military solution rests, therefore, with Shireroth.

Andreas the Wise

Henzelli wrote:
Andreas the Wise wrote:Sorry, did you just imply that the Laqi people are not an independent nation but are in fact a thinly veiled Ashkenatzan land grab; in which case you're not declaring war to 'rescue' them but to seize our territory?
No. The Ashkenatzi government felt it best to give the Laqi a guarantee. Our recognition of them and desire to see them an independent country necessitates more than just words, especially considering that of the declarations of recognition, Ashkenatza is the closest and in the best position to help their cause. The Ashkenatzi government does not promote an expansionism of the kind you are insinuating. Very similarly to the way Russia helped guarantee and end the conflict in Abkhazia and S. Ossetia in the early 90's, we were intending to do the same. However, in the same grain as Russia was obligated to come to their defense in 2008, we are now obligated to come to the defense of the Laqi.

(Though on a side note, your ability to read non-existent meaning into things makes you a delightful propagandist. Bravo. :yay: )
Thanks. I was mainly referring to the use of the word 'citizens' in response to defending the Laqi. I would be delighted to know how they are your citizens and this is not meant to be taken expansionistically. :angel I'm sure you have an excellent explanation for your choice of words (unless the above is meant to mean that calling them 'citizens' guarantees you'll help them without taking over their land).
Last edited by Andreas the Wise on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Henzelli

Post by Henzelli »

CJ Miller wrote:What are Russia, Abkhazia, and S Ossetia?

Are you off your medication Herr Henzelli?
I read a fantastical book entitled "Earth" that I thought everyone had read. Forgive my literary sleight. Coincidentally but totally unrelated, yes, I am off my medication again. But I'm still on my rocker.
Thanks. I was mainly referring to the use of the word 'citizens' in response to defending the Laqi. I would be delighted to know how they are your citizens and this is not meant to be taken expansionistically. :angel I'm sure you have an excellent explanation for your choice of words (unless the above is meant to mean that calling them 'citizens' guarantees you'll help them without taking over their land).
I have the exact wording in the specific Nohsibafel somewhere (I'm eating a cookie and too lazy to open another tab. Mmm...cookie), but it's basically an extension to the current residents of the territory claimed by the Laqi Free Republic of citizenship within Ashkenatza should they so desire it. There was even a memo sent out to the Beth Din ordering the printing of passports and the beginning of distribution. As Shireroth only has restrictions on citizenship for the right to be called Nifty, I'm sure that there is no reason to fear a large segment of the population holding dual citizenship?

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

As Shireroth only has restrictions on citizenship for the right to be called Nifty, I'm sure that there is no reason to fear a large segment of the population holding dual citizenship?
Cits can have maximum 3 citizenships. ;)

Henzelli

Post by Henzelli »

Thank you for the clarification. So then those in the Laqi region who currently only hold Shirerithian citizenship, it should not be a problem if they accept Ashkenatza's offer, then.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

I love my new passport :D

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Andreas, it seems that the Anticans find it selfish that we don't want to give land away that is developed by you. :p

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

....and is named for my ancient kinsfolk.

Jacobus, Titular King of the Mala'anje

Andreas the Wise

Jonas wrote:Andreas, it seems that the Anticans find it selfish that we don't want to give land away that is developed by you. :p
I made my views on this matter clear to certain Anticans in private, and I trust that they will respect proper development and force the rest of the Anticans to do so as well.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “Ministry of the Exterior”