Relations with Vlaanderen/Flanders

Negotiates with foreign powers; make diplomatic requests here

Moderator: Jacobus Loki

Gert Geens

Relations with Vlaanderen/Flanders

Post by Gert Geens »

Dear miss Alot,

A few months ago you payed the Republic of Flanders (Republiek Vlaanderen) a visit after someone of us came here another few months before that. In order to avoid continuing in the same dreadfully slow pace, our Minister of Foreign Affairs has appointed me as our plenipotentiary to the Imperial Republic of Shireroth for establishing durable relations and, if remotely possible, conclude a treaty of mutual recognition and friendship (the appointment, though only in Dutch, can be found here: http://vlaanderen.micronatie.nl/forum/v ... f=6&t=2825).

I read the draft version of your standard treaty and will, assuming a non negative response, propose a few amendments to it after carefull consideration. This will require a little bit more time, but I wanted to say hello first anyway.

Greetings both in the name of the Flemish government and myself,

Gert Geens
plenipotentiary from the Republic of Flanders
Gert Geens
Diplomat of the Republic of Flanders
Diplomaat van de Republiek Vlaanderen
http://vlaanderen.micronatie.nl/forum/index.php

Allot

Re: Relations with Vlaanderen/Flanders

Post by Allot »

Greetings, Your Excellency,

I distinctly remember that visit. I am both shocked and appalled at myself that I didn't continue that course. Furthermore, I am shocked that we don't officially recognize you as a country. Oh wait, we do now. That was rather easy.I am not sure about the legislative procedure in Flanders, but all you now have to do is recognize us and we have mutual recognition! :)

Friendship may be a bit harder. You see, the current legislative atmosphere in Shireroth is against standard treaties like the one in our forum. Apparently, treaties need "substance". So I suggest we work together to find some things that could be mutually beneficial to us that we can work into a treaty along with mutual friendship and whatnot. I'll mull it over. I am definitely on board, though.

Thank you for your visit, I am sure it is the first step in a long and fruitful relationship.
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

Dear Plenipoteniary Geens,

May I welcome you to Shireroth as well. I am Daniel Farewell, Steward of the Republic, and I, too, am pleased to see you here. Thank you for coming and is there anything this government can do, do not hesitate to ask. As Lady Allot said, treaties with the Imperial Republic really ought to obligate both parties in directions.

I will discuss the matter with His Majesty the Kaiser, the Imperial Advisory Council and, of course, with Lady Allot, the best diplomat in Shireroth :)

Yours,

Gert Geens

Post by Gert Geens »

Dear Mr. Steward and Madam Minister,

Thank you for a very positive response.

First of all, I take notice of the fact that we are on the same page regarding treaties: I would never propose an empty let's-just-say-we-are-friends-treaty, considering those are indeed rather useless. That's exactly why I wanted to amend (expand) your standard design.

Regarding the recognition, I want to thank you for the unilateral recognition you granted us. Just plain courtesy would require us to do the same, as an equally simple procedure exists in Flanders. However, I'd rather not advise our government to do so, for two reasons:
1. The current political situation in Flanders which makes any government based initiative (as opposed to parliament based) risky (and I believe it would be much more offending if I'd have to inform you about the withdrawal of a recognition).
2. We've had a problem a few years ago with a recognition that wasn't based on a treaty, which makes me personally a little hesitant to do this without the "paper work".

Yours,
Gert Geens
Diplomat of the Republic of Flanders
Diplomaat van de Republiek Vlaanderen
http://vlaanderen.micronatie.nl/forum/index.php

Allot

Post by Allot »

Oh dear! That does sound intense. Take as much time as you need, we're not in any rush. I'm glad we're on the same page vis-a-vis treaties. I wish I spoke Dutch so I could figure out what's going on in the Dutch sector of micronationalism. I look forward to working with you on expanding our theoretical treaty.
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Return to “Ministry of the Exterior”