Thanedom?

Moderators: ErosSerafiem, Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Jonas

Thanedom?

Post by Jonas »

Hypathias mom, Countess and Baroness of this lands,

Are you willing to make Kitanus Fields a Thanedom again? With a Thane instead of a Count? It's for historical reasons. :document

From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Krasniy Yastreb

Re: Thanedom?

Post by Krasniy Yastreb »

It's a long, LONG time since I last saw that flag. :o
Sir Krasniy Yastreb Ly'Piscator, KcOMI
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Duke and Arx-Piscator of Brookshire
+ Baron of Vorpmadal
+ Count of Lunaris
+ Knight Comrade of the Order of Mischievous Intent
+ MoMA SDI Director

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

You need to look in the archives a little bit more. :p
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I'd like a more coherent description of Kitanus fields, if I may ... do they ride cats or dragons, for a start?
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

They said feline, and there are cat paw prints on the flag, so I am assuming they were giant cats, not dragons. Jonas, thank you so much for this information. I've not known what to do with the Kitanus Fields. Steve never filled me in when he left this barony to me. Now I can start to reimagine the area of my barony.

And, yes, I am definitely planning to appoint a Thane for the Kitanus Fields, and I love the flag. It is always helpful to know what went before. Thank you again.

Kaiser Ayreon

Post by Kaiser Ayreon »

*kaiserial approval*

*nods*

:)

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Thank you for your approval, Your Imperial Niftiness.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

It's a pleasure to help you, Baroness! :kaiser

Thank you, Your (not so nifty as Loki II but still very nifty) Niftiness, for this approval. :worship

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Your Grace--

I must protest your disparaging remark to our Kaiser in this. Aryeon is our Kaiser; Loki is not. I would appreciate you not using the venue of my lands to make such an unflattering comment, and would ask you to confine any such remarks to your private councils in Blackrock Nua. My ultimate loyalty is to our Kaiser, and I ask you to remain civil to him while visiting in my barony. Thank you.

Baroness Carol
Barony of Lumina's Light

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

My Lady, don't forget it's my land too. I said in my post that kaiser Ayreon is still very nifty, so I don't meant to hurt his feelings.

Sebastien Alexandre

Post by Sebastien Alexandre »

You know, in Gryphon's time, the Thanes had a different role. There was a Thane appointed to Western Kildare, and a Thane for Eastern Kildare. Their job was to take care of the Counties that didn't have a Count or Countess, and to keep them in line. Sort of like a Baron of his Barony, except that loyalties were inconsequential, boundaries didn't change, and it covered those Counties without representation of their own.
First Minister Sebastien Pasqeir Alexandre of Valenciennes, Empire of the Alexandrians
President of the University of Geneva, Empire of the Alexandrians

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Do you mean the Thanes were rather like the old-time Highland Scottish Thanes, who were seen as clan leaders who led their people and ensured peace and justice were served; or were they ad hoc leaders assigned to a specifically-assigned geographical area in lieu of officlal nobilty being assigned?

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I think more the second ...
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

I would appreciate official clarification, though, since traditional Scottish Thanes were a hereditary clan-based chieftainship. It seems that the traditional Thanes might more closely resemble any other hereditary nobility, rather than someone assigned to watch over a geographic area instead of a lesser noble. This is what I assumed was the case when I was asked to assign this category of leader to my barony.

Sebastien Alexandre

We were de facto authorities of certain areas in lieu of an actual lord.
First Minister Sebastien Pasqeir Alexandre of Valenciennes, Empire of the Alexandrians

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Like the current Counties?

Sebastien Alexandre

Yes.

For example, when I was Western Thane, Kitanus Fields and the Dalmacija's didn't have counts. So, if anything ever happened, it was my job to protect the areas. It was like I was regent to their thrones.

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

I see and appreciate your former responsible position. However, as a Scot (half), I feel it incumbent on me to revive a traditional function of the Celtic title and office. The traditional Thanes, (also Thegns) or Chiefs, functioned either as father figure and head (or chief) of each clan to the people of Scotland (until the 1500's) and other pre-Norman Celtic regions, or as agents of the king or ruler to the people, and it was their responsibility to keep the clan or area safe, to make important decisions, to administer local justice, and to ensure the people's welfare. I believe both functions can be fulfilled in the restored function of the Thanedoms.

I think the suggestion to revive this title is a very good one, and one which has a lot of promise as a new approach to local rule. Thank you for this wonderful suggestion, Oz.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

If I need to decree something, just tell me. :angel

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

My Lord Duke--

I humbly request that the title and traditionall role of Thane be reestablised to administer and safeguard those counties which do not presently have a count in residence. The Thane's function will be to ensure safety, justice, and the rule of law to all the people under zir care.

Thank you, Your Grace.

Baroness Carol
Barony of Lumina's Light

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

My Lady,

Do you mean the reestablishining of this title for whole Kildare? Or just for your lands? And who will be the Thane? By who is he or she appointed?
If this is cleared up, I will decree it.

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Pardcn my ommission, Your Grace. I am only speaking for my own Barony, Lumina's Light. I would never presume to speak for other barons or baronies. You are correct that I did not specify which areas were included in my request.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

No problem at all, My Lady.

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Thank you, Your Grace, for your gracious indulgence. This is quite an honor to be able to offer such a unique title and role to new leaders. I shall choose the new leaders carefully.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

It's always a pleasure to help you, My Lady. Just call me, and I will come to help. :mal

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Your Grace--

Your support and approval are very important to me, and I appreciate your rapid response to my request. I assure you I shall ask if I need additional assistance. Thank you.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

After reading this once more. It could be interesting to re-establish the titles of the Thanes for West- and East-Kildare... :demon

Return to “County of Kitanus Fields”