[request] Templates for ShireWiki

Manages technical infrastructure for the board and website; make administrative requests here

Moderator: Erik Mortis

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

[request] Templates for ShireWiki

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

My main WikiSkills seem to be in the adding new pages, consolidating lost data, adding new links, and general tedious tweaking department. It seems Ari is more of the technical person for Shirewiki, which is why as Chief Wikifier I ask him to design a couple of templates... well, it shouldn't be designing as such, since it's just stealing the code from other Wikis for our own, infinitely niftier use as Shirereithans.

Firstly, look at this page of a former nation on Wikipedia and examine the template page with all the info. I'd like something similar to the flag thumbnails with the arrows in that template box added to ShireWiki, so people can see which nations merged with others, and how Shireroth came into being. I wanted to make a page for the Provisional Free State of K'Tzuni, for example, but when I noticed the template for nations had no way of showing that it was a nation which was absorbed back into Shireroth, I couldn't be bothered.

Secondly, a template for the various ConLangs spoken in Shireroth would be very useful. The ConLang pages we do have in the Wiki are woefully out of date and could do with something like this, which they use for languages in Wikipedia.

Thirdly, a template for the various ethnic groups of Shireroth. I know the Laqis, Mondesians and maybe the Elfinshi could do with one of Wikipedia's nice templates with all the info they use for their pages on ethnicities. Here's a prime example.

Finally (*phew*) a template for which we can do Cedrist G-ds. They don't really have one as such for deities on Wikipedia, or any other Wikis I've had a look around, but we could maybe manipulate the one Wikipedia uses for Saints (see this page for an example) and incorporate it into every page about a Cedrist G-d. That way, the info on each one would be way more concise.

I know this may be irritating, me asking you guys for help with what is my own job, but if you can help me, I won't bug you any more about it and I can finally get around to making ShireWiki a testimony to the true glory of our Shirereithan history and culture. I won't disappoint you! :thumbsup

Ari Rahikkala

Re: [request] Templates for ShireWiki

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Wiki templates are a subtle and complicated matter. One template often transcludes another - a rather minor problem since you can just copy both over, though it does create more work... some templates are based on conventions that can't be transplanted over to Shireroth easily. For instance: The language infobox has, as a required argument, a colour representing the family the language is in. What should we replace that with? I'll move this thread over to MiniInt so I'll remember to work on it, but finishing the forum upgrade will come first...
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Of course- and a very good job of the upgrade you seem to have done, too :)
The language colour is kind of irrelevant in Shireroth, since we would assume most ConLangs to be based on Indo-European Languages in grammar and syntax, since those are the majority of micronationalists' mother languages... unless we have some silly Finno-Ugric people here, of course... :p
If this is just a job of copying and pasting different templates over, then just tell me what to do and I'll do it.
I've just noticed AlexWiki and AntiWiki have some templates we don't, so it can't be too difficult.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

I stand corrected.
I tried to copy the Ethnic Group Infobox script into ShireWiki to use for an article on the Laqi People, but it came out like this. Screwed up parse functions ahoy!

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

There are templates here,

http://micronations.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

some of which are indigenous, but most of which were purloined from the late MNN-wiki (very usable) and some from Shirewiki :o as well.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Cheers- and in case Ari is reading, thanks for the language template! Fabulous!

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I think I made various subdivision templates once...

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

You did. I found them. And am putting them on the to-update list. :)

Return to “Ministry of the Interior”