The Great Permissions Rebasing

Manages technical infrastructure for the board and website; make administrative requests here

Moderator: Erik Mortis

Ari Rahikkala

The Great Permissions Rebasing

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

So far, the way I've been administrating permissions has been... simple: I've granted each bit personally, forum by forum. This means that changing something like a duke of a duchy with dozens of counties tends to mean a large amount of work because I have to 1. grant moderator permissions to the new guy in all of those forums, 2. grant full user permissions to the new guy (because the ability to post stickies is a user permission, not a moderator permission), 3. remove moderator permissions from the old guy, and 4. remove special user permissions from the old guy. I've actually been ignoring the fourth step because it seems old forum leaders aren't abusing the ability to post stickies (I guess we don't have enough strife and politics in Shireroth yet ;))... but even that *is* a problem in the administration panel, because I tend to get confused with all of the old sticky-posting permissions around.

There's a simple solution to this problem: Role-based authentication. PhpBB3 implements this through the group system. I could, for instance, create a group called "Duke of Brookshire", give all the relevant user and moderator permissions to it, and put in the current duke as its only member. Then if the duke were to change I could just remove one member and add one member in the group instead of going through two different sorts of permissions on a whole bunch of forums.

The problem? If I did that, the moderators of Brookshire would just be listed as "Duke of Brookshire". You could find out the duke by clicking on it (it would be a link leading to a list of the members of that group), but I know *I* like to be able to look at the forum and tell who's in charge of what at a glance, and I've heard a lot of other people also do.

That's why I actually did something useful today and modded the board to display, in forum moderator lists, the members of groups along with groups themselves. The one place where you can see this at the time I'm posting this is the Landsraad, where the current voting nobility is listed in the moderators list. Don't ask me why all the voting nobility are moderators - they certainly don't need to be; it just was that way when I took over board administration and I haven't bothered to change it :P.

I'll be rebasing most of the relevant roles todayish - the kaiser, non-ruling steward, praetor, arbiter, the ministers, the dukes, and the barons spring to mind. I'll probably not roleify counts, though, seems too much initial trouble to me for such a small long-term payoff... but we'll see.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Ari Rahikkala

Re: The Great Permissions Rebasing

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I decided to split the Steward and Ruling Steward roles. I'm not sure if there's any difference beyond moderatorship in General Discussion though. Also, changed groups with only a single member to be reported as "<member> as <role>" instead of "<role> (<member>)".

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

* looks at Kaiser's court

Moderators: Oroigawa Koreyasu, Ruling Steward (Oroigawa Koreyasu; Oroigawa Koreyasu)

Hmmmmm....

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

There, that's better. I think. Let's move some more stuff over to roles and see if anything interesting happens. :)

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Everything seems to be in order. I changed the rendering of groups with multiple members to be "<member1>, <member2> and <member3> as <role>" instead of "<role> (<member1>, <member2>, <member3>)" for consistency.

I had to stomp over the personal counties of all dukes and barons with such because the roleless moderatorship system didn't contain information on those. If you are a duke or baron (or used to be one) with a county inside your duchy/barony that you want specifically marked yours, notify me and I'll readd you.

I'm not going to roleify counts unless specifically asked to (and then you'll have to pay :)). The administration interface is not designed to handle such a large number of groups. Aside that, are there any important roles that I missed?

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

I'm in Kildare ... and Treasury.

Looks nifty to me!
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Oroigawa Koreyasu

Post by Oroigawa Koreyasu »

It's a lot easier to realize who's what and who's where. Very nice, Ari, good work. :thumbsup
Oroigawa Koreyasu
Count of McCallavre, Straylight
Count of Lesser Attera, Kildare
Count of Asantelian, Brookshire

Chairman, Senate of the Lakes, Hurmu

Return to “Ministry of the Interior”