Duchies & Demons

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Yvain Wintersong

Duchies & Demons

Post by Yvain Wintersong »

Shireroth's a lot like some of the worlds I used to make for my Dungeons & Dragons games. Has there ever been a D&D campaign set in Shireroth? If not, anyone here know D&D and want to try something? I've never run a play-by-forum game before, but, to quote Frodo at the Council of Rivendell, "Let's try it, how hard could it possibly be?"

Jonas

Re: Duchies & Demons

Post by Jonas »

What do you mean? We are a micronation, not a RPG.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

Post by Nick Foghorn Leghorn »

Jonas wrote:What do you mean? We are a micronation, not a RPG.
Eh, depends on who you ask.
Count of Norfolk

benkern

Post by benkern »

http://shireroth.kuroshiro.net/forum/vi ... .php?f=118

Apparently we are, Jonas. :p

No seriously, no idea what was going on there but take a look if you're interested.
By His H47,
Baron Benkern of Vorpmadal, Yardistan.
"Like us or hate us, someone will still hold the torch. You might as well try to like us." - Harvey Steffke
"Tis not a leaving of a harried knave/Tis not with tail tucked in shame/Rather in glorious exhibition of benevolent might/Sun bids the world an emblazon g'night."
"But every beginning is only a continuation and the book of fate is always open in the middle."

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

benkern wrote:http://shireroth.kuroshiro.net/forum/vi ... .php?f=118

Apparently we are, Jonas. :p

No seriously, no idea what was going on there but take a look if you're interested.
Yes, I see... we're everything... :thumbsup
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Yvain Wintersong wrote:Shireroth's a lot like some of the worlds I used to make for my Dungeons & Dragons games. Has there ever been a D&D campaign set in Shireroth? If not, anyone here know D&D and want to try something? I've never run a play-by-forum game before, but, to quote Frodo at the Council of Rivendell, "Let's try it, how hard could it possibly be?"
I wouldn't know about Tokidoki, but if you like RPG sorta stuff like that (and you struck me as someone who did) you might like visiting another nation I'm in - Tokidoki. They do D&D stuff, and I helped them work out a nice magic system for use in Recwars (constantly being refined of course, but lots of fun) and expeditions (basically joint storytelling, always very interesting), explained briefly in a Tourist Guide I wrote
Or you could look at the slightly less interesting charter and try and convince Shireroth to start it's own magic academy and stuff.

Of course I don't want you to leave Shireroth, but if that sounds fun to you too, why not give it a go, or better yet, convince some other Shirithians to do it ... I'd love another Magic nation ... (though Ari assures me this is too serious for Shireroth)
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Andreas the Wise wrote: (though Ari assures me this is too serious for Shireroth)
:D

It's worth trying.
Last edited by Jonas on Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiser Mors V

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

I could see a DnD game set in Shireroth.. it could work.... to the 400 Wing!

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Andreas the Wise

Jonas wrote:
Andreas the Wise wrote: (though Ari assures me this is too serious for Shireroth)
:D

It's worth trying.
Well, setting up an academy is dead easy, from the posts around you already do enough role playing to handle expeditions, and it fits in wonderfully with the history ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Andreas the Wise wrote: Well, setting up an academy is dead easy, from the posts around you already do enough role playing to handle expeditions, and it fits in wonderfully with the history ...
Kildare was a place whit magic until... technology cames...

A little bit of our fictional history:
b213 - Blackrock, a province of Audentior, holds a meeting of regional leaders. They realize that the provinces have advanced far past the Audentior mainland in terms of technology. As well, magic has become more difficult to use over the ages, up to the point where it simply was more efficient to explore technology further, rather than magic. Many wish to see an independent Blackrock country once again. Unrest in Blackrock begins and spreads throught the region.
I shouldn't know why the magic can't come back to Kildare :)

Andreas the Wise

Well, My Duke, if you can find three other people (the traditional number of people to set up an Academy is 4, one High Mage, then a High Druid each of Air, Sea and Land) then I'd be delighted to set an Academy up for you. You can't use me, I'm in another one already, but Yvain's probably in ... Just pick the sorta one you most like, and have the most creative person as High Mage.

Magic will return to Kildare!
Q - Director of SAMIN

Kaiser Mors V

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

I'll allow it... *dismissive hand gesture*

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Andreas the Wise

Now that's the attitude I like to see in a ruler! :angel
Q - Director of SAMIN

Yvain Wintersong

Yaak! How did I go from suggesting we play a D&D game to being volunteered for a position as High Druid in some sort of academy? Things in Shireroth get very confusing very quickly!

Andreas the Wise

It's only if you're interested, Yvain. You just strike me as the sort of person who would thoroughly enjoy it ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

(And while they are DnDing, I will find the Khan, and we will subvert their peasants and appropriate their motor vehicles
:evil Mwhwhahahah!)

Sorry.
Never mind.
It slips out once in a while.
Didn't mean it..........
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Liam conToketi

Post by Liam conToketi »

[quote="Yvain Wintersong"]Shireroth's a lot like some of the worlds I used to make for my Dungeons & Dragons games. Has there ever been a D&D campaign set in Shireroth? If not, anyone here know D&D and want to try something? I've never run a play-by-forum game before, but, to quote Frodo at the Council of Rivendell, "Let's try it, how hard could it possibly be?"[/quote:1q in. Do you allow psionics and Tome of Battle, or are you going to keep away from those?

Kaiser Mors V

Post by Kaiser Mors V »

I wonder what ever happened to the Neverwinter Nights mod we were working on for Shireroth...

Mortis Mercator V,
Kaiser of Shireroth
Duke of Brookshire
Count of Monty Crisco

Yvain Wintersong

So I have Liam conToketi (and Andreas the Wise??). We still need two or three more people.

Liam, I'm unskilled at D&D and have only played with the core rulebooks (plus a Book of Exalted Deeds that happened to be in the area during one campaign). Anything too complicated I won't understand. In fact, I am thinking less of a min-max-intensive genuine gaming session and more of a story thread (like the exploration of the temple of Ryvenna thread in Kildare) with a DM to keep things interesting and a foundation in the D&D rules in case something complex and controversial happens. I'm afraid anything else would probably be too complicated and time-consuming to do in a forum environment.

Andreas, as I am sadly not as Wise as yourself, I don't really know what being a Druid in an academy entails. I'm not sure I'm ready for druidhood yet, but please tell me more about it.

Andreas the Wise

Just to put it out there, never played DnD, so no help on that front ...

As to Druiddom ... well, read the tourist guide to magic I posted? Basically, it takes several forms (sorta extended roleplaying/war). When people go on expeditions, basically it's joint storytelling in character (bit like the one to the Temple in Kildare, but moves faster) - you tell a bit, probably focussing on you but involving others, then someone else picks it up for half a paragraph ... allows much more variety of ideas than if you just wrote it yourself. They happen every so often. Then there's Recwars (maybe every couple months?). You sorta gotta know micronational recwars at all to understand it, but basically it's a post based war system where you have troops at the start, then post your action, and let your opponent react and post damages, and so on ... that's recwars in general. For magic ones, we have a list of mical creatures, and their cost (in terms of troops - each person has 25000 worth of troops, basic infantry = 1 troop, ship might be 2000, Kraken is (from memory) 1400 etc), and also a set of approved spells and effects. That means people can't just use magic to do anything (cause that just ruins it).
In between times, some people come up with new items and spells and so on, and there is an Academy for the nation you train at. Basically, that's just record keeping - you say you want to be in it, and the Lord of Magic handles all the records and tells you your level for wars (just affects the strength of your spells). Druids technically have power, but most of the time don't do much, so no worries there.

That's a very very brief overview - my post above has links to more detailed stuff. Still sound interesting?
Q - Director of SAMIN

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

Slightly off-topic, but: I spoke with the High Priestess yesterday, and she wa wondering why no one attempted to reach her online--hypatiaagnesi2--so she can join in the fun.

Liam conToketi

Post by Liam conToketi »

Ok...so...which rule set?

And what you're thinking of is sort of a controlled expedition...
In Toketi, we have tried a forum campaign. They are very slow, especially during combat...

Bayen

Post by Bayen »

I'd be up for it also!!!
Bayen ronToketi
Count of Backbone Site

Prodigy Almighty

Post by Prodigy Almighty »

Count me in, bra. If you need a DM, just ask me or Liam... we both have real-world experience as DMs. :thumbsup
Boris Ivanovich Serov ronToketi VI
Executor of Chelkran Kesh
King of Kagan conToketi
Baron of Absentia, Yardistan

Bayen

Post by Bayen »

Me too! I'm the "backup DM" when Prodigy and Liam aren't there! :p
Bayen ronToketi
Count of Backbone Site

Yvain Wintersong

That gives me Bayen, Prodigy, Liam, and me. I don't use AIM, but if someone wants to contact the High Priestess, maybe she wants to join too.

Liam - if what I'm thinking of is a controlled expedition, then I accept your classification - I'm thinking of a controlled expedition. I definitely don't want to do a full-fledged forum campaign, for exactly the reasons you mention.

I assume that I'll never get a forum for this and might as well resign myself to conducting it in the back alleys of Shirekeep in the freezing snow?

Bayen

Post by Bayen »

How about Google Talk? Their Group Chat is really simple... it takes about 3 seconds to register...

OR we could use Shireroth's IRC thing... just make our own channel really quick! #roleplay or something...
Bayen ronToketi
Count of Backbone Site

Neike Taika-Tessaro

Post by Neike Taika-Tessaro »

IRC wins by default. Always. *nods, sagely*
Neike Taika-Tessaro, Archon of Dark Arcadia

Return to “General Discussion”