Eisteddfod

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Scott of Hyperborea

Eisteddfod

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Back in the days of Tymaria, one of the really big exciting projects that we were planning on doing before we realized we all hated each other and would rather slowly destroy the nation from the inside was a culture festival called the Eisteddfod. Although I don't believe it ever took place, we should revive the tradition and hold one here and now.

Here's my vision: a sort of microworldwide cultural Olympics offering prizes for the best original work in a variety of fields. Some obvious categories are poetry, short stories, and graphics, but it would be nifty to throw in some unusual stuff like computer programs or nonfiction (submit your best school paper!). This wouldn't be intended to compete with the FNORDS, since those are for general micronational achievement; it would be more of a specific cultural thing that doesn't necessarily have to do with micronationalism at all.

If people support this, I ask that I be made Director of Putting Together the Eisteddfod and that we hold it starting April 24th to coincide with our sixth (!) anniversary. I have some more specific plans but I'll hold off on naming them until some people comment.

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I'd be happy to participate should you organize it.
-Jupiter

Kaiser Alejian II

Post by Kaiser Alejian II »

I might be interested in this idea... hm...

Harvey the Blue

Post by Harvey the Blue »

This is a very thinly veiled attempt to boost activety and culture in one of Shireroth's darkest hours, hmm?

... looks fun though. Count me in for something.

Braden Indianensis
Location: Number 12 Concord Street, Nafticon, Republic of Antica

Post by Braden Indianensis »

I'm working on a fictional history of the Antican people, though it's nowhere near done and I doubt it will be complete by the time of the festival. However, the Origin Story is very nearly complete, and I may enter that. Also, my longer history of Kaikias is getting along very well, and it may be ready in time, though that's somewhat unlikely. So I may be interested, depending on what I can whip up.
Antican Ambassador to Shireroth and Babkha
Former Speaker of the Assembly of the Republic of Antica
Reporter for the Antican Liberator
Elder Guard of the Order of the Vorpal Blade

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Sounds good to me, but we need to ensure that people who are judging can't vote on an entry of theirs.

I'd be happy to judge, as long as I can still enter.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Sounds spiffy to me. I'm horrible at judging things, but I can certainly come up with something to submit. Count me in.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Shyriath's back!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I'm certainly interested.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

So here's what I'm thinking for categories and judges:

CATEGORY: LITERATURE (to be split into two categories, short stories and poetry, if there are enough entries)
JUDGE: ME (I won the Fnord for literature and the last poetry contest)

CATEGORY: ART (to be split into two categories, computer-generated and manual, if there are enough entries)
JUDGE: GREG DEAN (he draws a real comic strip and knows his graphic stuff)

CATEGORY: COMPUTER (any sort of computer program or computer-sciency thing)
JUDGE: ARI (is worshipped as a god by several cultures for computer-related knowledge)

CATEGORY: AUDIO (to consist of music, podcasts, other radio shows, etc; movies would also be here if anyone submits them. Possibly divided into music/speaking stuff if enough entries)
JUDGE: FAX (he runs a radio station!)

CATEGORY: NONFICTION (any essay on any topic; submit a school paper or write something original)
JUDGE: I dunno, we'll find someone

CATEGORY: CONCULTURE (anything related to the construction of a fictional culture, be it maps, language, religion, et cetera.)
JUDGE: SANDER (he's good at that kind of thing, isn't he? If we can't get him, Nick the Yardistani would make a cool judge as well)

I'm thinking that we'll give x/3 rounded up awards per category, where x is the number of entrants. So if there were three people participating, there'd be one prize, and if there were five people, there'd be a first and a second prize.

Whaddya think?

Braden Indianensis

Do FicHists go in Literature or ConCulture?

stevenAntica

Post by stevenAntica »

Is it international?

I'd be happy to judge Non-Fiction...to add an Antican to this whole thing...and internationalize it.

Braden Indianensis

Yuppers, it's an international pan-cultural festival.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Another question... suppose one were to create an epic poem that was sort-of based on an constructed culture? Would it be classed with poetry, or with ConCulture?

I'm thinking of entering a project I did for a class once... it's the first part of the poem, rather than the complete thing (I never finished it, due to the likely prohibitive length of the full poem). It's based on a fictional species of dragon, the one that the original Shyriath (i.e., the one I created for roleplaying, rather than any micronationally-related entity) belongs to.

Return to “General Discussion”