CITIZENS OF SHIREROTH!!! EVIL PLAN TO INCREASE OUR POWER!

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

david northworthy beckfor

CITIZENS OF SHIREROTH!!! EVIL PLAN TO INCREASE OUR POWER!

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

check ezibox please? Edited by: david northworthy beckford  at: 5/10/05 14:06

Scott of Hyperborea

Re: Scott!!!

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

I'll try to think of something, but don't have any ideas yet. Why don't you post the question publically; thirty-ish minds are better than two. Scott Alexander (now online for ease of use!)Proud citizen of the Imperial Republic of ShirerothKnight of the Dragon, Sunburst, Act, Viking Crown, St. Mark, Treesian Order, and Jasonian OrderIf I am seven knights, does that make me a week?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Is curious now*

was looking at a webcomic, and noticed it sayig you could advertise on it...ages ago, I got an ad on google, found it was not effective...so I wanted to see if other ways would be better....so, I am going to put an advert for shireroth on it, and see what happensthe site owner can make the advert, even do the artwork, but would need to know from me what to put in it...so, people of shireroth, tell me!

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Would it cost us money we don't have? *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

it is a mear drop in the ocean of my limitless wealth(j/k but I am paying for it all, and it's cheep anyway)

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Whatever the ad is, it needs to be funny. Not in an incredibly strange way, but in a way that attracts interest and curiosity.They can find out about the strangeness later.

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

Go David! You rock!

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Squiddeh comes to mind... Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Harvey Steffke: I think I like it more than Chrono Trigger.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?!

Gryphon the Pure

Post by Gryphon the Pure »

Squiddeh + Kiwi + Mango + Tux + Blue Moose + Malarbor +cetera... Gryphon the Pure- Shirithian Elder - Dutch of Kildare - Minister of the Interior - High Priest of Apostrophe aka Grammar Fuhrer - Director of the Shirithian Census - Imperial Advisor -q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

I dunno, I think Squiddeh would scare them off...We need to find something that typifies Shireroth. I always liked that phrase underneath the Landsraad title on the main board..."In democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your count that votes".So, maybe something like a castle in the background, and in the foreground, it flashes:"In democracy, it's your vote that counts""In feudalism, it's your count that votes""SHIREROTH"Eh, I dunno. Just a thought.

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Animated = bad. Contrary to popular belief, an animated ad annoys a user more than advertises, because it takes more than a quick glance to see what it is. Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Harvey Steffke: I think I like it more than Chrono Trigger.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?!

Thomas G C

Post by Thomas G C »

What's the web comic?

Gryphon the Pure

Hahahahaha! If I could give you a self-portrait of Gryphon, that'd be amusing to put up there.Furrealz, the random one with the fallen angel is Gryphon EXACTLY. I swear to god, this guy is my twin or something....then again, how many times have I said that in the last year?I'm dead serious. Like compare this to this. Fucking identical. At least in my head. I was so fucking creeped when Caesia pointed the comic out to me at first a couple weeks ago. Gryphon the Pure- Shirithian Elder - Dutch of Kildare - Minister of the Interior - High Priest of Apostrophe aka Grammar Fuhrer - Director of the Shirithian Census - Imperial Advisor -q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);

Gryphon the Pure

On a more serious note, that could actually be a serious theme for whatever advertisement we put up. Especially on Comedity, which is based around the idea of alternative personae, it would be fitting to have some sort of reference to the idea that in Shireroth, you're a different person.The quote "In democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes." would in this case be an appropriate phrase, since it emphasizes the shift between real world and Shireroth. If someone with artistic talent could make some sort of transition blur between a picture of a RL politician to an image of a Shirithian noble, that could be a good way to illustrate the theme...If we want to go with an animated banner, we could do one that instead of animating the text (which would be the problem Moose pointed out), we could have several avatars of our citizens with dual logins flashing, to connect with the Comic's theme of multiple personae. Fax used to have an animated avatar that had portraits of Celestis, Malysus, Celestis II, Mog, and probably some other personae of his, and I could make a quick rotation of my avatars. We could definitely do a rotation of Erik's various kaiserial avatars, and Scott's avatars, including the talking dogs... Eriana's different animal forms, Bill and Evil Bill, Harvey, Jason, Sai'Kar...Of course, we wouldn't put all of them at once, that'd make it too busy, maybe at most three or four - if you mean the side banner (150x525) we could put two each at the top and bottom, with the flag in the middle and whatever motto split above and below it (maybe Top = "In Democracy, it's your vote that counts. In feudalism, it's your count that votes." Bottom = "Change is good. (br) http://www.shireroth.org")So there are a couple options...Does Shireroth actually -have- a motto? Gryphon the Pure- Shirithian Elder - Dutch of Kildare - Minister of the Interior - High Priest of Apostrophe aka Grammar Fuhrer - Director of the Shirithian Census - Imperial Advisor -q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);

Kaiser Ari i

Post by Kaiser Ari i »

Well, there's one that was composed by Kuralyov, but I'm not sure if anyone remembers it anymore :/

Scott of Hyperborea

We have to remember that these are going to be people who won't get our inside jokes and who don't know any of us. I think that using our avatars is out for that reason - they would look like random boring pictures or photos.I say go for the very boring, very direct route. The problem with getting word out about micronations isn't that people have thought about joining micronations but aren't convinced it would be good for them, it's that no one has any clue what a micronation is. If we just go a very direct route, it might be enough to make people curious. Something like SHIREROTH - Yes, we're an online country, no, we're not crazy, yes, you are invited. Maybe a pic of the coat of arms on there (which is prettier and more official-looking than the flag). By the time they realize the second statement is a lie, it will be too late.What are we going to want to link to? The website? The forum? The Guide?

at this rate,. I may just send the guy a link to this thread!I was thinking link it to the guide for the perplexed thing

Gryphon the Pure

The "Confused?" banner at the top should be good enough to catch the n00bs. The point is we want them coming to the forum.If nothing else, we could put a copy of the banner next to the header image with a link to the guide as well, so people will know they came to the right place, and can have a little intro...And the avatars thing is to connect to the content of the comic. The point is that /*everyone*/ lots of people here have many different faces, just like the main character in the comic has many different personalities. That way we'd be appealing to the target audience of the comic as the target audience of our ad. Gryphon the Pure- Shirithian Elder - Dutch of Kildare - Minister of the Interior - High Priest of Apostrophe aka Grammar Fuhrer - Director of the Shirithian Census - Imperial Advisor -q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);Edited by: Gryphon the Pure at: 4/21/05 14:47

Scott of Hyperborea

That sounds much too clever to actually work.

Gryphon the Pure

Just keep in mind that I am among the target audience here : p Gryphon the Pure- Shirithian Elder - Dutch of Kildare - Minister of the Interior - High Priest of Apostrophe aka Grammar Fuhrer - Director of the Shirithian Census - Imperial Advisor -q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);

Quote:Having read through thethread I should say that the ads should be direct. if they have subtleundertones that's fine, but they need a direct message. Something stikes meabout the suggested idea of "Shireroth, yes it's an online country..." thatright there is peculiar enough to attract some attention. Perhaps somethinglike that with the Shireroth crest above something ... hobbit-ish. Sorry, Ijust see the grassy hills of the Shire whenever I think of the word Shireroth.There should also be something entertaining in it, I think. So, it sounds likewe need a sub-caption of some sort. This is the part I don't have any greatideas on yet. But that's what I've got so far. Let me know if you think upany good slogans. I'll keep in touch. so, thoughts?

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

If it weren't after 4am here, I'd probably make up some sort of parody of the Statue of Liberty's poem, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." I think it would be pretty catchy, at least in the US. I can probably come up with something suitably lame if asked.The full text can be found at http://www.nps.gov/stli/newcolossus/index.html *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

Scott of Hyperborea

Hm. We've used "Shireroth: Land of Niftiness" on a few things; is that too vague? I've got nothing. We suck. "Shireroth: It's Not What You Think" is sufficiently confusing to make people click on it to try and figure out what it was they thought it was and why it isn't that, and probably very few people would have thought it is what it is... Edited by: Scott of Hyperborea  at: 5/10/05 14:27

*looses place reading Scotts post*

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I would think this place is already comical enough that you would'nt need a script. Shireroth is like the odd couple multiplied times ten. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Kaiser Alejian I

Post by Kaiser Alejian I »

So true... hehe.

Eriana Moon

Post by Eriana Moon »

Ok IÂ’m not very good at the whole comp imaging thing but..... HereÂ’s an idea....I donÂ’t know why the words are blurry. They arenÂ’t on the hard copy but when I upload it to photo bucket it blurs... but itÂ’s not like I expect this version to be used anyway.... It was just easier... or maybe just more fun, to make a demo than to try to explain what I was thinking.Hope someone likes it.... Was Dead, Feel Better Now!!A madman is not less a musician than you or myself; only the instrument on which he plays is a little out of tune. -Kahlil Gibran

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Aren't we paying the cartoonist to draw the ad once we think of it? Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?

Return to “General Discussion”