Official Riddle Thread

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

BMajeed

Re: Stuff

Post by BMajeed »

I've heard this one before, but the description included raccoon and the answer actually included a word that had 4-double letter combos. Am I allowed to say it?

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Does your answer end with an "r"? If not, it's a different one and you can say it; I'd be interested in what it is. If it does, you have the same one - wait until tomorrow.

BMajeed

Post by BMajeed »

I forgot the 4-double combo, but I remember the three.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

mississippi Erik Mortis BrookshireCommoner of Alexandretta

SchumiInFerrari

Post by SchumiInFerrari »

to erik: yes i thought of that too erik.. but those are not in pairs.. the question asked for the word to have to doubles in consecutive manner... aka.. aaeeii not aapeeqii.. also, i dont think your word ends in a "r".. Hail Schumacher.Dominate the World!

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

yes there is, it's like how the k in know is silent.....the r in mississippi is invisible "Disclaimer: Whatever is in the above post is probably a result of my blind following of Kieran Bennett, because I have even less of a brain than Kieran. Don't even get me started on my lack of independent thought."

SchumiInFerrari

gotcha... but what about the other part? Hail Schumacher.Dominate the World!

Scott Alexander

Re: Official Riddle Thread

Bookkeeper.All right, easy one: what word becomes longer when you remove a letter?

SchumiInFerrari

bookkeeper... that's nice!.. word that becomes longer when you take off a letter? i am guessing it has something to do with perhaps the meaning of that word (like mile, or length) or something to do with letters (as in envelope!) D -->D"> you got some good riddles! Hail Schumacher.Dominate the World!

Thomas G C

Post by Thomas G C »

Lounger.

Shasta Rana Wanderlust

Post by Shasta Rana Wanderlust »

Arg! I've been beaten to the punch! So, if god is falliable, does that mean that this universe (or plane of existence, depending on your style of thought) could be nothing more than a metaphysical trashcan?Platypi point to this being true.

Scott Alexander

Congratulations, Thomas.A man got drunk, and, on a dare from one of his friends, climbed up to an eightieth-story window of the Empire State Building and balanced precariously on the windowsill there. Just as he was about to climb down, he lost his footing and fell. He had a few scrapes and bruises, but he got up without serious injury and walked away. How could this be?He was not caught by anything on the way down, nor did he fall on top of anything soft.

Mattlore Devious

Post by Mattlore Devious »

He fell into the room?

Phoenix the Risen

Post by Phoenix the Risen »

you and your odd timezones... I totally had that one too.. : p Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Scott Alexander

A traveller is walking in the woods when he comes upon a cabin. In the cabin are two dead men. They are sitting side by side, strapped in their chairs. Their bodies are quite badly beaten up. The cabin door is jammed and takes some effort to open, and the traveller is quite certain that no one has entered or left the cabin since the time the men died.How did the two men die?

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

he beat them up.....the person who beat themup is still in the cabin...the person left while they were dying, but not dead "Disclaimer: Whatever is in the above post is probably a result of my blind following of Kieran Bennett, because I have even less of a brain than Kieran. Don't even get me started on my lack of independent thought."

Alexandra Decens

Post by Alexandra Decens »

They were in the cabin of a plane....they died in a plane crash. I have no custom signature...oh wait...

Scott Alexander

Alex has it.

Alexandra Decens

Post by Alexandra Decens »

Woot! I have no custom signature...oh wait...

Ruhan Zarathustra Erudinz

Post by Ruhan Zarathustra Erudinz »

Quickly, more riddles! We demand more riddles to entertain us! "Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus"

Scott Alexander

Wowed by the tourism posters, three Treesians go vacationing in Kumarastan. As is so often the case with Treesians in Kumarastan, the Sultan decides to kill all of them. However, he likes all methods of execution so much that he just can't decide between them.1. He flat out asks the first Treesian to choose which way he wants to die. What should he answer?2. After learning his lesson from the mistake him made with the first prisoner, the Sultan decides to let the second prisoner choose from three and only three options. He can be thrown into a lake of boiling fire, into a pit with iron spikes on the bottom, or into a cage of lions who haven't eaten for a year. Which should he choose?3. After the first two prisoners' escapes, the Sultan decides he's not going to go for anything fancy - just good old-fashioned hanging and beheading. He is going to flip a coin to decide between them, but he can't help playing one last game with his victim. "Tell me a true/false statement," he says. "If the statement is true, I will hang you; if it is false, I will behead you." What should the Treesian say?

lachlanpowers

Post by lachlanpowers »

a) Naturallyb) If the lions havent eaten for a year chances are they are deadc) (ill leave it for someone else.. aka I dont know )

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

3) "You will behead me" Do you really believe Project Bluebook revealed EVERYTHING the Army Air Corps knew? Do you know what REALLY happened at Roswell, New Mexico in the late 1940s? Have you even heard about the Men in Black? Do you have any friends who have `missing days'? Do you sleep with your window unlocked?Be seeing you...

Phoenix the Risen

pwm'd Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

Scott Alexander

What common English word changes its pronunciation when the first letter is capitalized? (there are probably a few answers besides the "standard")

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

But then they will be stuck in a moment of eternal limbo!! I will report this to the official Riddler Committee in Vembria, mark my words!! Sun Bless, Earth KeepZirandorthel I of TreesiaNiirus Tinenetuwar, Tivitha e'TarasLotter of the West LotGrand Duke of Lac Glacei

BMajeed

Post by BMajeed »

Oh! Oh! I know, this was a bonus question on an English test of mine. The answer is "polish" and "Polish." The Sultanate of Kumarastan

Scott Alexander

Correct, Balty.The more you take, the more you leave. What are they?

Phoenix the Risen

vacations?trips?breaks?voyages?emigration form? Phoenix the Risen - Dutchess of Kildare - Political Nuisance but at least She gets the job done. - Official Genkher of Gryphon Avocatio's Cool Short Sig and Gryphon the Pure's Awesome Tables! - COME BACK, STEVE!!! -"To quote a former Kaiser.... 'Shireroth doesn't give up land....'" ~UEC (Quoting Kaiser Letifer I), In response to claims on the Raynor Isles"To paraphrase a former Kaiser: 'Here! Take Amity for free! And that other half of Mar Sara too!'" ~SaiKar LumEth, (Paraphrasing Kaiser Mog I) In response to UEC"To paraphrase a former angry mob "DOWN WITH THE EVIL LAND-GIVING AWAY KAISER! REVOLT! REBELLION! CIVIL WAR!" ~Scott Siskind, (paraphrasing the Letifer Rebellion group) In response to SaiKar LumEth"I HEARBY QUESTION THE KAISERESS AUTHORITY!" ~Gryphon Avocado (Switching Day)

lachlanpowers

Post by lachlanpowers »

steps?

Return to “General Discussion”