A chance at Shirereithan expansion?

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

A chance at Shirereithan expansion?

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

Hi,

I've just started WikiWeek on the MCS forums and want to let you guys know that the no-expansion rule for Shireroth has actually been waived for the WikiWeek land prize. If a Shirereithan wins this he or she can award the land to Shireroth as... New Lothlaria?

:document
WikiWeek!

I'm happy to announce that the MCS has given me the go-ahead to start WikiWeek.

This is essentially a competition to try and do the most updates to MicrasWiki in a single week, with a prize for the best contribution. Starting from now, competitors will have one week exactly to write articles for MicrasWiki- I will judge and of course not enter the competition myself.

The prize is, I hope you'll agree, quite a generous one:

these strategically important islands between Eura and Keltia near the Brittanic Sandwich Islands. Good for a naval base? Or perhaps a new micronation altogether? They're yours if you win!
The prize will be awarded on a personal basis- the winner will be awarded these islands and what happens to them is entirely at their discretion (so long as it's within the MCS charter). The winner can choose to give these islands to any nation (whether they're a citizen or not), or even use them to start a new micronation. All they need to do is submit the claim after they win and it'll be accepted automatically. Yes, even if the islands are to be given to Shireroth. ;)

There are, of course, a few things to bear in mind before entering WikiWeek:
- No copying text en-masse from other micronational wikis. We'll find out eventually if you do. Copying the bare basics of a very poor article and rewriting it in a superbly professional style is of course more than acceptable.
- Don't edit Nation infoboxes and raw data unless you're absolutely sure your information is more accurate and up-to-date.
- Try and add as many existing links and categories as possible so your article is more accessible
- Feel free to be generous with images
- Articles must be relevant to the entire community. An article on a sports team for Batavia, for example, isn't likely to win as it's not of much interest to the rest of us.
- Articles chronicling micronational history (especially Apollo-sector beginnings history or about nations whose forums and sites are completely down) will be highly considered for the winning prize.
- Collaborative efforts on one article are acceptable- the prize will however be awarded to the person who has done the most work overall- this can include anything from adding new categories to writing entire new articles. Try to diversify your efforts. The more you write, the better.
- Delete other people's hard work for no good reason and there's no way you'll win, regardless of how much you've written.
- If editing the Wiki is too difficult for you submit things on the MCS forum for me to put in for you. I suggest the Wiki Submissions Thread.
Finally, the most important part: If you submit work for WikiWeek and don't win the prize, it remains on the wiki regardless. No rage-deletions. Your work will be read by the entire community- don't deprive them of it!

I'll announce the winner on the evening of the 1st of September.

Good luck!

Max

Jonas

Re: A chance at Shirereithan expansion?

Post by Jonas »

I find this quite vague. What's relevant information? I can write an article about the (fictional) Benacian Empire, but I don't think whole the community will find that important (it could, however be interesting for West- and Central-Benacian nations, as it could lay the basics of a unified fictional history).

And about the copying: is it forbidden to us stuff I wrote on the Batavian wiki (which still needs translation)? :document
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

What I mean is that articles should be useful and of interest to everyone- so an article about Batavia would be preferable to an article about a regional Batavian town, for example. I think translating an article from Dutch to English is fine, yeah.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Excellent. :demon
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Elliot Markham

Post by Elliot Markham »

This is a great contest idea. There should be more contests like this. I wish Shireroth luck.

AryezturMejorkhor

Post by AryezturMejorkhor »

Antica!
Aryeztur Mejorkhor

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

I'VE GOTTA TIP MY HAT TO THIS RACKET. BRIBING A BUNCH OF NECKBEARDS TO DO WIKI MAINTENANCE WITH PRETEND LAND OF NO REAL CONSEQUENCE?

SMART DRAG MR. CHRISTER!

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Yeah I don't know how the hell Max pulled this off with the council, but it's a very cunning plan.

Mateo Mattiassen

Post by Mateo Mattiassen »

I'm in!
MATEO DIEZ MATTIASSEN
Secretary of Finance of the Republic of Flanders

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

I'VE GOTTA TIP MY HAT TO THIS RACKET. BRIBING A BUNCH OF NECKBEARDS TO DO WIKI MAINTENANCE WITH PRETEND LAND OF NO REAL CONSEQUENCE?

Very well put, Capslock Sahib! :D

I take it you're game, then?

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Does my rescue AlexWiki project count for something?
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Post by Kaiser Ometeotl I »

intriguing.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Jake, I've responded to your question on the MCS forums. Whilst what you're doing is very community-minded and a great contribution WikiWeek is mainly interested in original work produced by the contestants themselves.
I know it must be disappointing but I have to let other people have a sporting chance and if the competition was simply done by wordcount you'd win outright because of all those AlexWiki articles.

Also I feel I should remind Shirereithans that this is very probably the only way Shireroth will expand her territories in the forseeable future, so I hope to see a lot of Shirereithan contributions!

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Who says we want to expand our land, Max? :evil :p

Elliot Markham

Post by Elliot Markham »

Jonas wrote:Who says we want to expand our land, Max? :evil :p
There's nothing wrong with that--the less Shireroth expands, the more it can focus on its existing territories. An isolationist Shireroth would also give its enemies less to worry about and thus less to be prepared for when or if it does become non-isolationist again. Interestingly, for five years, from 2004-2009, that--total isolationism--was Antica's foreign policy. But then Octavius and Phineas (BenKern) joined forces and their clout with the MCS mapping community in order to set in motion Antica's sudden and unusual expansion.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

All I'm saying is that there are several historic regions of Shireroth which were lost during the Atkins reduction which Shireroth could perhaps restore on the WikiWeek islands. What you do with the land is ultimately not my concern- the islands will also be gifted on an individual basis- the winner can give the islands to whichever nation he or she chooses, or even start a new nation on those islands without the three-month rule.

Even if Shireroth doesn't want any more land, there are plenty of other nations these islands could go to!

Kaiser Ometeotl I

If we did win, I would suggest donating the lands to some other deserving country.

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

We/I tied. :surprise

http://micras.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 213#p57213

I don't know how the islands will be divided. Were they ever Shirithian, I wonder?

No, they weren't.
Jacobus Loki
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I suppose it falls to you what we do with them. Though I'm getting a horrible idea that would involve joint control with some other nations, treaties.. alliances..etc.

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

When I first saw them, my thought was "Holiday resort for VBNC". I stand by that opinion. Who cares about their strategic position? Particularly since you're splitting them. My personal suggestion, Jake, is that you just take two, and have fun making a new holiday home for yourself. ;)
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Ometeotl I

Doesn't that violate some MCS policy on no personal claims?

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

When I say make it a holiday home; I mean claim the land on behalf of Shireroth; but use it as a holiday home. Can't you imagine Jacobus by the seaside, sipping from a coconut in the pleasant shade of the Kaiser Mors V? :party
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

That idea has occurred.
Jacobus Loki

Kaiser Ometeotl I

I could indeed imagine this.

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

What were the rules for genetically engineering man-eating coconuts again? I want to hold coconut fights!
I am confusing, have a wiki article to help: Link-a-dink

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Man eating coconut!
Attachments
local-man-eating-coconut.jpg
local-man-eating-coconut.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 39599 times

Kaiser Ometeotl I

And look! He's offering you some... how nice he is.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Hmmm... Micronational timeshare?

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

Divide into 1-pixel lots, sell at inflated prices?

Demon of Fides

Post by Demon of Fides »

Or... Shieroth Safari!

We make the whole place a game preserve, where rich businessmen an women can hunt the most deadly catch of them all...

Coconuts...
I am confusing, have a wiki article to help: Link-a-dink

Return to “General Discussion”