Old Micronational Flags

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Old Micronational Flags

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

Hi,

As part of my great big project to resurrect MicroWiki I'm trying to do the Nation Infoboxes for as many Micran nations as possible- starting with the dead ones. However I'm missing flags for quite a few- would some of the old-timers here have the flags of Talamthom and Menelmacar on their hard drive?

Cheers,

Maksym

Harvey Steffke

Re: Old Micronational Flags

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Menelmacar:

Jacobus Loki

Post by Jacobus Loki »

You are to be commended. Any chance of you picking up the Ultimate Forum list from Spangle?

As far as Talathom goes, I used up my quick bag of tricks. Ask Edgard when he surfaces, a lot of the links lead to an Alexandrian.
Jacobus Loki
Shireroth sumus. Tempus in parte nostrum est.
Lord of Hallucination, Protector of Illumination, MiniEx of Shireroth, Traditional King of the Mala'anje.

Mateo Mattiassen

Post by Mateo Mattiassen »

I don't know if you want to include some old Dutch nations as well. I have flags for two of 'em:

Republic of Charlotta (June 2004 - August 4th, 2004 , later known as: People's Republic of Charlotta)

Independent Region of Mayo (2004-06)
MATEO DIEZ MATTIASSEN
Secretary of Finance of the Republic of Flanders

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Thanks very much! I had Mayo's flag but not Charlotta's.
I've actually tried to write Wiki articles for Mayo and Charlotta but all their websites and forums are down- would you know if any archives exist anywhere?

I may pack in the whole MicrasWiki lark soon anyway... there's simply too much to do and people are already expecting me to do all their hard work for them- hopefully my new project of WikiWeek will sort that out ;)

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Would anyone also happen to have a nice, crisp version of the Atteran flag?

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Can't remember what it looks like. Can you show me your uncrisp one to jog the memory?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have everyone's flags from god knows when until when I retired from the MCS and stopped collecting them. I had to shrink them all for the claimsmap, so the originals all went into my archives.

I'll dig up the Atteran and Tomann flags for you. Did you want Fealsamthom as well?
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Harvey, the Atteran flag I found is here, and it just isn't crispy enough as I'm sure you can see.

As for the Fealsamthom flag, I'm not sure if there's much point me having it since there's just not enough information about that nation (splinter state of Talamthom, right?) to even do a basic Infobox for.
I'm finding clearing up MicroWiki actually quite interesting... learnt a fair bit about the Micran sector.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Q'attera-Macusiaa

Atteran Commonwealth

Can't seem to find my Tomann archives. I might have dumped them into a different folder for a different project, so it will take some more searching.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Thanks Ryan! Used the second one for the article on Attera... much nicer flag to be honest.
I've also got the nation's name in Amharic too. I tried to do the infobox on the article for Menelmacar but it just got too confusing when I worked out the one article was for both Menelmacariva and Menelmacar. Someone really ought to write a seperate one for each.

I have just started a page on New Macadem and hope to do one for Hau'Oli 'Ena but I'll need a flag for that second one.
Hopefully I'll be able to catalogue a lot more long-lost Micran nations now that I've found an extremely useful archive...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Finally found the Tomann flag.

And I was made Governor of Fealsamthom, so I can fill in the blanks for you. It was created as a hotbed of sedition - intentionally - akin to Northern Ireland. It was begun as an independent micronation, the East Fealsamthom Soviet Republic. West Fealsamthom was my state, and when the EFSR was beaten, the two were united.

From the website:
Quick Facts About Fealsamthom

Capital: Cashel
Major Cities: Port Láirge, Bree Abbey, West Fealsamthom University
Official Name: County of Fealsamthom
Short Name: Fealsamthom
Ethnic Term: Fealsománn (singular) Fealsománns (plural)
Major Languages: English, Gaelic
Major Religions: Protestant, Catholic
Population: 5 million (2003 est.)
Government: Democratic Republic
Head of Government: Galen McCloud, Minister of Parliament (MP)
Head of State: Thomas Kelly, President of the Republic
The Fealsománn County Militia, or FCM, was founded to defend the county and Talamthom as well from the remnant forces of the so-called East Fealsamthom Soviet Republic (EFSR). Having voted to annex the EFSR, east and west Fealsamthom were united under the single Tománn county. But militants persist in refusing to recognize the rightful authority of government. While the situation has been compared to Northern Ireland, it is actually more a political dispute rather than religious. The extremist left-wing militants of the EFSR believe in Stalinist violence and tyranny, something free Fealsamthom will not stand for.

In the interests of protecting the Tománn democratic government, preventing these red rebels from hurting innocents and providing security to Fealsamthom and Talamthom, the FCM stands vigilant and dedicated. The FCM is a standing army of nearly twenty thousand infantry accompanied by armored personnel carriers, such as the Saxon, and other assorted armored vehicles. The FCM posesses a small airforce comprised of two Hawks. Well trained and deployed over several barracks facilities, their activities remain carried out mostly on foot or with vehicle accompaniment. In times of war, the FCM can be called upon by the Tománn government to aid the regular armed forces in whatever way necessecary. Fiercly patriotic, the soldiers of the FCM stand ready to fight or die to defend the liberty of this republic.
Flag:

Hope this stuff helps. I'll look around for the CHE flag next.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Thanks for all your help Ryan but unfortunately at the moment I'm only concentrating on nations which have been on Micras and I can't find Fealsamthom listed on any of the old Micras maps... though I'll make the article for it of course.

More information on Lac Glacei and Panzerland, both of which I believe you founded, would also be useful. I'm most interested in the old communist nations such as Noviykrazniystan, Red Antilles etc. And Fax's old micronation the Corporation. The latter especially was an interesting experiment and worth noting down.

By CHE I assume you mean Chine?

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

CHE = Confederacy of Hau'oli 'Ena, I believe.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Talamthom was on the MCS map, and not just that weird Toman-Indochina place. I think it was the island between Kendall/Jaris and Stormark/Lyrica.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Thanks- I'll change the map on the Talamthom wiki page in due course.
And Ardy, you weren't involved in Sennar, were you? Just done the article for it and I'm sensing a distinct Babkhan influence in the place (see: Sennar's flag). ;)

Ryan, also any info you may have on Rulczentia would be useful.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Sennar - yeah something happened to do with Babkha there. It was a post-Madland, pre-Alexandria experiment for the Portelas. I meddled.

Radio Rastakhiz wrote:Richmond, Terre des Riches: Rumours have been circulating of a minor Islamist revolt beyond the frontier of Eblis. The Islamic Republic of Sennarstan, claims to have moved to this location in order to be closer to its Arabic ‘brothers’ of Babkha. A statement that came as something of a surprise to the Faris-Zarathustrian majority in Babkha. Other reports claim that Sennarstan has been declared amidst the ruins of vanquished Alexandria in the far north on the border with Arminy. Other reports claim that Umra’s little toe knew more about Islam than the Islamic Republic of Sennarstan which may transpire to be little more than an ill-advised venture by Spelev and Edgard into the territory of Terrorism Chic.

It would seem, all told, that the downfall of Sennar sowed the seeds for the Babkhan province of Palestina.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

I have no idea how the Crusader Kingdom of Eblis managed to get onto the map but it was the most blatant papel state ever. (Edit: I think I was an MCS cartographer back then - insider corruption explains a lot)

But within its limited objectives it worked for out of the ruins of Sennar and Elbis arose Palestina which was held by Babkha until the days of the GSO.
Act for the Foundation of the Babkhan Sovereign Territory of Palastinia and the Islands of Herrinova, Karaman, Rulak, Umoja, Aydin and their Protectorates & Dependencies

WHEREAS, the Kingdom of Babkha does hereby state its desire to fully incorporate and establish the colony of the Babkhan Sovereign Territory of Palastinia and the Islands

WHEREAS, the islands of Herrinova, Karaman, Rulak, Umoja and Aydin shall henceforth be known as the lands comprising the Palestine Islands.

WHEREAS, the Crusader Kingdom of Eblis has been evacuated of Babkhan Forces.

WHEREAS, the cities of Miska, Acre, Tyre and Eblis shall remain within the Greater Babkhan Sphere of Influence;

WHEREAS, His Imperial Majesty’s Government desires to annex the coastal littoral of Outremer to the Kingdom of Babkha.

THEREFORE, the Kingdom of Babkha does hereby establish, this 31st of March 2005, the Babkhan Sovereign Territory of Palastinia and the Islands
under the following conditions;

WHEREUPON, a colonial government shall be established at the largest colony of Herrinova, in the city of New Bomburg.

WHEREUPON, the Babkhan Sovereign Territory of Palastinia and the Islands shall be governed in the same manner as a Satrapy, with the colonial Governor being appointed by the Shahanshah.

WHEREUPON, the colonial administration shall have all the rights and limitations as those that are endowed to satrapies under the Provincial Reform Acts.

WHEREUPON, due to the dependent status of the Babkhan Sovereign Territory of Palastinia and the Islands, His Imperial Majesty’s Government may at any time relegate governance to another Satrapy of the Metropolitan Kingdom of Babkha.

WHEREUPON, the Babkhan Sovereign Territory of Palastinia and the Islands shall become a single polity, indivisible from, and in permanent union with, the Kingdom of Babkha.
Last edited by Aurangzeb Khan on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Excellent! I hope you don't mind if I use these to write a brief history of Sennar? I assume part of the Babkhan province of Palastina had its roots in Eblis, seeing as so many of that nation's cities were named after actual crusader kingdoms in the macronational region. Some of which seem to have still survived until today (Tyre and Acre are Antican cities now, I think).
Even if Eblis was a Papel State some flags or just enough data on it for a basic infobox would be worth having if you've got any.

The research seems to be going quite well, all things considered. Some very early nations still have websites lurking out there- I've found them for Varja, Thorn, and Korhal, all of which should have very basic articles on MicrasWiki for them by the end of the week.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

No flag - just a crappy seal.
Fratres Militiae Christi de Mondesia Irredentia
Armed Brothers in Christ of the Mondesian Irredentia
The Immaculate Marian Order of St Severus in Eblis
The Order of St Little of Mondesia & its Hospital in Tyre
The Confraternal Commandery of the Brothers of Acre

Leader: Marcellus von Grobe (Hochmeister / Magister Generalis )
Government: Armed Monastic Order
Official language: English, Latin, High German
Founded: November 2004
Capital: Eblis

Mateo Mattiassen

Maksym Hadjimehmetov wrote:Thanks very much! I had Mayo's flag but not Charlotta's.
I've actually tried to write Wiki articles for Mayo and Charlotta but all their websites and forums are down- would you know if any archives exist anywhere?

I may pack in the whole MicrasWiki lark soon anyway... there's simply too much to do and people are already expecting me to do all their hard work for them- hopefully my new project of WikiWeek will sort that out ;)
There is a Mayo archive at artxibomayo.webs.com, mostly in Dutch. There is also a webarchive page of the English part of the official webpage of Mayo.

Academic history course on the history of Charlotta/Mayo (courtesy of the New University): part 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
MATEO DIEZ MATTIASSEN

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Maksym Hadjimehmetov wrote:Thanks for all your help Ryan but unfortunately at the moment I'm only concentrating on nations which have been on Micras and I can't find Fealsamthom listed on any of the old Micras maps... though I'll make the article for it of course.

More information on Lac Glacei and Panzerland, both of which I believe you founded, would also be useful. I'm most interested in the old communist nations such as Noviykrazniystan, Red Antilles etc. And Fax's old micronation the Corporation. The latter especially was an interesting experiment and worth noting down.

By CHE I assume you mean Chine?
CHE does indeed mean the Confederation of Hau'oli 'Ena. I still can't find the flag. It was laid out similar to the Palestinian flag. Gold, green, blue horizontal tricolor with a right-facing triangle that was almost dichroic (think it was a mix of the three other colors).

How much info do you want for Lac Glacei? I have an arseload of stuff on it.

As for Panzerland...

So I had/have a sense of admiration for the German military, and despite what the Nazi-haters say, the Nazis did know how to dress and make bitchin tanks. I have no love for Hitler, genocide or racism or any of that schtick, but I still find something sleek in their armed forces. So I sought to peel away the bad aspects of this and focus entirely on the military side. That and at the time I was very much into playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The blurb from the old site stated thus:
A micro- nation founded in honour of the great German tanks of World War II and dedicated to the arts of war and combat. Panzerland prides itself on strong military traditions, proper discipline and strength of the will. As the great Field Marshall Erwin Rommel once said; "Sweat saves blood."
The government functioned thus:
The government of Panzerland follows a hybrid empiric government similar to that of both Imperial Germany and a military chain-of-command. The emperor, which in Panzerland is known as the Kaiser, rules absolute and his position is hereditary. Next in line is the Reichskanzler, or Imperial Chancellor, who's position is elected by the Parlament (Parliament). The Reichskanzler, rather than the Kaiser, is responsible for appointing a Cabinet. The Parlament, on the other hand, is an open legislature where all Panzerlanders can gather to make their voices heard in the government and change government policy. The Reichskanzler acts as House Speaker for the Parlament. Various other ministries control the other functions of the government.
Society was descried as so:
Panzerlander society is based primarily around the military. All citizens are obliged to serve at least three years in the armed forces, and in times of war a minuteman (and woman) militia can be formed by nearly anyone to defend the Empire. But Panzerlanders are not limited in scope to not recognise the arts and other cultural necessities of a modern society. Generally speaking, the atmosphere of Panzerland is very 1940's. Victrola Phonographs are still more popular than DVD players and Wagner still sells more records than Warrant. While the technology is available and used where necessecary, Panzerlanders prefer the simpler life of the 40's to anything else. One major difference between Panzerlanders and the 40's is that women are treated as equals. As is obviously seen by Frau Blavatsky's Hitzkopf Abteilung (Spitfire Division sHiAb). Among other things Panzerlanders enjoy is fine wine. The Wein Kellers of Paderborn are reknowned worldwide for their fine selection of vintages. Panzerlanders are fond of sports, music, and other entertainment. As well, they are also multi-lingual, speaking English and German equally and a unique language known as Panzermannsch. Equal influences of German and English cultures typify Panzerlander society, although tendencies lean towards European styles and architecture. When all is said and done, Panzerland has a society unique unto itself.
And I had begun writing a history of the nation but never finished it:
Origins

The Great War that preceded the founding of Panzerland tore the world in chaos, and reduced the Wolfenwald to a mere wilderness of scattered villages and ruined cities bombed to rubble and overgrown with weeds. Originally settled by pilgrims from the Wolfraven Clan of Cimmeria around 980 AD, the Wolfenwald remained a relative wilderness of isolated villages and dense forests. The growing Shirerithian domains cut off the Cimmerian isles from the Wolfenwald, and further hindered growth of those who had settled there and relied on trade with Wolfraven. Soon, the Cimmerians had been annexed entirely by Hyperboreans and Shirerithians, and the great Wolfraven Fleets became all but a distant memory. But that was the least of the concerns at hand, for the Italian state of Machiavellia had sprung up in the north and west, enveloping the Wolfenwald and quickly annexing the remote city-states. The Machiavellians turned the Wolfenwald into the states of Nicolo and Amber, disregarding much of the local Panzermannsch culture. And so the Machiavellians ruled over the Wolfenwald for nearly three centuries before their empire finally collapsed.

When Machiavellia collapsed, it was succeeded by the northern nation of Europia Concordiae. The Concordians only lasted a short while, however, being quickly overrun by the Nova Romans, who had appeared out of the ashes of Machiavellia as well. The Nova Romans expanded quickly to absorb the Concordians, but could'nt manage beyond that. And the Nova Romans could not control as vast an empire as the Machiavellians, so their domains only extended into the Wolfenwald partially. The Machiavellians had brought modernisation to the Wolfenwald, and although still unsettled and remote, they were strong enough and smart enough to fend off the Nova Roman raids. The enemy would only last another century before finally collapsing itself into smaller factional states. These states, too small and backwards to be recognised by the larger powers, were to ineffectual and shot-lived to make any lasting impact on the Wolfenwald city-states. Thus, the Wolfenwalders were finally truely free.

The Wolfenwald Era

The Kingdom of Wolfenwald, although never legally recognised, existed nonetheless as a cohesion of city-states not unlike the Holy Roman Empire that preceded the founding of the German Empire. Of these, Paderborn became the most prominent city-state and was chosen as a good, centralised location for the government. The first King of Wolfenwald, Lord Otto Dietrich Kessel, was crowned in 1612 AD at Paderborn.
Our military was quite the envy of others...

We had nice villages in the countryside...

And we had a lot of perks to joining the army...

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Ardy: Thanks for all that info- I've just worked it all into a MicrasWiki article on Eblis, including the Babkhi propaganda poster- have a read through and see whether it's any good. Some of the Declaration of War on Sennar was so good it had to be put in there! Also, would you mind if I copied your article on yourself from ShireWiki to put into MicrasWiki? There probably wouldn't be much copying from one wiki to the other as ShireWiki is fairly Shireroth-specific and MicrasWiki is designed to be more general.
I also managed to do an article on Hatay (well, just the InfoBox at the moment)- I tried to do some research for it but the forums are locked. Would you have any useful info?

Ryan: I've put what you gave me into an article on Panzerland (changing most of it to the past tense as the place is now dead, of course), though I'd be interested to know exactly how Panzerland got control over all Slobovia and Ayllu... that was either one hell of a RecWar or you're an excellent diplomat. Either way, a very brief history of Panzerland would be good- if you write something here I'll paste it into the article. Seeing as forums and websites are missing, don't worry about details too much.

Mateo: I've started an article on Regio Mayo but am finding the history the circumstances of its seccession from Charlotta rather confusing. Would there be any way you could copy-paste the relevant sections of the pdf document you linked me to into a couple of paragraphs dealing just with Mayo? Do it in this thread and then I'll paste it into the Mayo article. Those documents are a pure goldmine, seeing as everything else about Mayo and Charlotta seems to be lost. Would you have any documents on the Red Antilles? I think they were Dutch-speaking, weren't they?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I've always been a good diplomat. ;)

If you want to fill in these on Panzerland, go ahead:
National animal: Wolf
National food: Streudel
National drink: Panzerbier

Brief History (real vs simulated):
Panzerland was founded under controversial conditions, as many people felt that the association with Nazi Germany was too close for comfort. Opponents quickly likened the state to the Third Reich, even though the resemblance was only aesthetic. At the time there were also a number of other German-themed micronations on Micras, and many of these quickly aligned themselves with Panzerland. The emphasis on military and work put into developing the Panzerwehr paid off in that many micronations immediately felt threatened by Panzerland. The result was a polarization of relations between a Pro-Panzerland Bloc and an Anti-Panzerland Bloc. Troy Thompson, and avid Germanophile, brought his two creations - Ayllu and Slobovia - into Panzerland as additional dominions. Much more under the table, Babkha quietly gave assistance to Panzerland as a way to counterbalance the dominance of Shireroth and other micronational powers that posed a threat. Panzerland began a proxy war with Shireroth over control of Benacia and parts of Apollonia, with Benacia essentially being designated the Panzermannsch Lebensraum - at the time most of these areas were unclaimed, so it was a more a race for expansion. Conflict with Panzerland never turned hot, and always remained on the diplomacy table. But tensions continued to mount, and accusations of Nazi affiliations continued to mount against the empire. This was exacerbated by members from the known Neo-Nazi forum of stormfront.org finding Panzerland by chance and trying to join and turn it into a true fascist state. A lack of interest on the part of its citizens and the cumulative threats lobbied towards Panzerland served to bring about its final downfall and the nation was shut down.

I honestly don't remember much besides that.

Mateo Mattiassen

Maksym Hadjimehmetov wrote:Mateo: I've started an article on Regio Mayo but am finding the history the circumstances of its seccession from Charlotta rather confusing. Would there be any way you could copy-paste the relevant sections of the pdf document you linked me to into a couple of paragraphs dealing just with Mayo? Do it in this thread and then I'll paste it into the Mayo article. Those documents are a pure goldmine, seeing as everything else about Mayo and Charlotta seems to be lost. Would you have any documents on the Red Antilles? I think they were Dutch-speaking, weren't they?
The history of Mayo has been summarized in this article. You could partly of fully copy that, if you wish. I could also help with the wiki-page about Mayo.

Concerning the Red Antilles, I'm afraid there aren't any documents, archives or history books about that nation. You could find some English news articles on the (defunct) news blog Noorderzon or in the (defunct) Mayoan Times (though the latter is wildly biased on the issue).

Their boards were barely archived, only the index page (Dutch) can be retrieved.
MATEO DIEZ MATTIASSEN

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Matheo,

I've started the article on Charlotta and have added the short history of Mayo from your website into the Mayoan page. Impressive though the history of Charlotta is, it's perhaps too long for a Wiki article- do you have a shorter history of the nation I could use?

Kaiser B'caw I

Post by Kaiser B'caw I »

I remember Panzerland... and, more dimly, some of the controversy. Still, tanks make everything more awesome.

Hey, Ryan, didn't you start a sort of Renaissance-Italian-themed micronation once? I remember being interested enough in that one that I'd wanted to join.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I think I talked with people about starting up an Italian-themed micronation but never got it off the ground. Think I still have the stuff for that archived too...

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Mateo- thanks for doing some work on the Mayoan page. It may interest you to know that I've just started an article for Flanders- perhaps you could do a little something about its history? I also think a more general article on Dutch nations on Micras would be interesting and useful- a question I'd like to hear answered is why so many Dutch nations (Mayo, Red Antilles, Batavia, Charlotta, Flanders, Nederlanden) get land on Micras.
Does the Dutch micronational sector not have its own mapping organisation?

Mateo Mattiassen

Maksym Hadjimehmetov wrote:Mateo- thanks for doing some work on the Mayoan page. It may interest you to know that I've just started an article for Flanders- perhaps you could do a little something about its history? I also think a more general article on Dutch nations on Micras would be interesting and useful- a question I'd like to hear answered is why so many Dutch nations (Mayo, Red Antilles, Batavia, Charlotta, Flanders, Nederlanden) get land on Micras.
Does the Dutch micronational sector not have its own mapping organisation?
At the moment there are only three Dutch micronations (Flanders, Batavia and the Republic of the Netherlands). At one point in time (2004-2005) there were seven active Dutch micronations (Mayo, Charlotta, Red Antilles, Flanders, Liberi, Victoria and the Rijk). Given these small numbers, it would be useless to create an own mapping organisation just for the Dutch sector, also given the fact that the Dutch sector has a long history of cooperation with English-language micronations and the English-language Sector.
MATEO DIEZ MATTIASSEN

Return to “General Discussion”