What's happened?

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Daniel Farewell

What's happened?

Post by Daniel Farewell »

The country's died. The sector is off. WHERE IS EVERYONE!?

What do we want to do? :-/

Aurangzeb Khan

Re: What's happened?

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

In most places community spirit has died. It exists still in Ashkenatza and Antica but I would not hold out much hope of finding it elsewhere.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Daniel Farewell wrote:The country's died...
What do we want to do? :-/
Aurangzeb Khan wrote:We should probably stop treating the subdivisions as politically viable and instead as more of a culture dumping vomitorium and switch over openly to an elective dictatorship.
That is to say it is time for a second revolution - not to restore the old order but to kill its last vestiges and to dump the bones into a museum. Erik has tried an imaginative and thoughtful solution, and it has not gained traction due to widespread apathy. Going back to the old ways will solve nothing - the Duchies were falling over one by one and shuffling into one unsuccessful merger after another, and while the arguments over who got what colour were amusing they did not provide any long term benefit. If I was Icebreaker I would probably say that it is 'TIME YOU NERDS GOT OVER HOW PATHETIC YOU ARE AND FUCKED OFF' but I'm not, so instead I suggest stripping back the Charter to bare components; a Kaiser, with absolute powers, with a Steward to support him, chosen by the electors of the Landsraad and given three months in which to rule before being ritually murdered in an amusing fashion not entirely different to that suggested by the James Frazer in the Golden Bough. If I was Hesam I would just laugh manically whilst periodically screaming 'I HAVE WON!!'

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Perhaps a popularly elected lower house would be worth a try, with the Landsraad, of course, as the upper house, with its membership extended to all peers (nobles).

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

I'm sorry - you keep commenting like you are some sort of citizen and therefore have a stake. Which really is not the case. ;)

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

HUGE.
POINTLESS.
MERGER.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

CJ Miller wrote:Perhaps a popularly elected lower house would be worth a try, with the Landsraad, of course, as the upper house, with its membership extended to all peers (nobles).
Simply put: no democracy.
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

I'D TYPE SOMETHING HERE, BUT ARDY ALREADY DID THE WORK FOR ME.

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Aurangzeb Khan wrote:In most places community spirit has died. It exists still in Ashkenatza and Antica but I would not hold out much hope of finding it elsewhere.
And Batavia! Don't forget Batavia! :p

HUGE.
POINTLESS.
MERGER.
It becomes time that we merge Ashkanatza, Batavia and Shireroth in one Imperial Republic. The Imperial Republic of Greater Benacia! :demon
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Subject to Ashkenatza naturally.

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

A Meger will never happen. No matter how great/terrible an idea it might be.

But I would support doing something fun and weird with the government. I won't change the Charter, but I don't think we really need to, in order to do whatever we may wish.

Scott: bring me some forum colour schemes that work.

Greg: bring me a way to preserve our core values, if we have any.

Someone: give me some new governmental ideas. I'm willing to change whatever.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Scott of Hyperborea

Scott: bring me some forum colour schemes that work.
Well, see, problem there is that a good forum color scheme prototype takes an hour or two to dream up, and then when I post it and people say "nah" I feel like I've wasted two hours (like last time)

But all right. I'll try again. What do you think of this as a very basic prototype? (forum names left unchanged from the forum I stole it from; obviously we'd keep our normal forum names).

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

I'm clapping with one hand.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

Looks a lot better than the old one.

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

Here's the thing Scott even if they didn't like it, it could be an optional style. Those are doable, I think. So I can keep the old one as default or something, and we can make yours available, so you can show people Shireroth and not be ashamed. And we can bring an end to this long argument about forum colours.

And, I find that prototype tolerable. Suitably dark and foreboding.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:Well, see, problem there is that a good forum color scheme prototype takes an hour or two to dream up, and then when I post it and people say "nah" I feel like I've wasted two hours (like last time)
I quite liked that one, to be honest.

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

SCOTT! That is just great. I love it.

Khan -- why don't you and I take over this country, repeal the Lawbook and Decreebook and start all over again? :p

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

Beautiful lay-out! :thumbsup

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Very nice Scott.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Jadie Kelb

Post by Jadie Kelb »

I also approve Scott. Very nice looking. :)

and yes I have been around...just haven't had anything to say...I am sneaking around. :P
:hover

Mrs. Jadie Kelb
Governor of Kralizec
Honorary Duchess of Goldenmoon

Scott of Hyperborea

Here's the thing Scott even if they didn't like it, it could be an optional style. Those are doable, I think. So I can keep the old one as default or something, and we can make yours available, so you can show people Shireroth and not be ashamed. And we can bring an end to this long argument about forum colours.
Yeah...several problems here:

1. If we only have one alternate style, I want it to be one people like.

2. This is where we're going to get in an argument. I want new to be default, old optional. The reason being that if I'm right, the people who like the old one are all veteran Shirerithians who will have accounts on the board and know how to use them, and the people who will like the new one will be new people and lurkers and foreigners who don't have accounts on the board or don't know how to use them. Since the alternate style only works if you have an account and know how to use it, that should go to the one aimed at veterans, and the one aimed at new people should go as default. IMHO.

3. I can't do anything right now. I don't have access to the forum images directory and I give no guarantee that I can change anything without the board blowing up. Ari's the only person who can implement this sort of thing.

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Daniel Farewell wrote: Khan -- why don't you and I take over this country, repeal the Lawbook and Decreebook and start all over again? :p
No objection here. Erik, permission to commence the bloody usurpation of your rule and the installation of Ric in your place upon the Mango Throne? :p

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

DITCH THE FUCKING MANGO ALREADY!
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Ahem. Mango Throne is, based on precedence, about the only legitimate reference to said fruit. :p

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:3. I can't do anything right now. I don't have access to the forum images directory and I give no guarantee that I can change anything without the board blowing up. Ari's the only person who can implement this sort of thing.
In particular, Ari has created various custom mods (ie the Malarbox, MNN box, showing our medals etc) - at least the Malarbox and MNN box would need to be installed directly in the style; and (probably) only he knows how to do that.
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

Someone get Ari's ass back here.
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Kaiser Mors VI wrote:Someone get Ari's ass back here.
NOT HAPPENING.

Kaiser Mors VI

Post by Kaiser Mors VI »

Why?
Kaiser Mors VI,
Head of House Mortis.

Scott of Hyperborea

I kind of agree with Icy. Ari wants a break for right now. If we wanted some minor feature that would take him fifteen minutes, fine, but this is a weeks-to-months long project and it's unfair to drag him back for it. Changing the forum colors will still be an option whenever Ari comes back, and it's not like we're having some huge recruitment drive between now and then that we need everything to look its best for.

Erik, do you have access to the forum images directory? If I had that, I could play around with some things and see just how inadequate I am for the task.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Slaps himself awake*

'Tis a nice look there. Castle = win in particular.

Return to “General Discussion”