A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

dr-spangle

Re: Setting Shirecon Dates

Post by dr-spangle »

Actually... I meant blackfriars pub
http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... lackfriars
It's literally across the road from the station
I imagine we'll probably be in the section we were before, which is at the back to the left... :P
I'll probably be holding a tonne of papers, maybe a clipboard... and a hat, I haven't decided what hat yet but I'll tell you, it will be something like a sombrero or a top hat, so i won't be hard to find I imagine :)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Looks good. I shall bring you a hat for your collection!
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

phineas elastopon

Post by phineas elastopon »

Maksym Hadjimehmetov wrote:Blackfriars tube is closed until 2011 for renovations, so the closest I guess would be Monument, which isn't too far for an inebriated toddle and has plenty of bins to throw up in on the way for our Babkhan friends.
Phineas Elastopon (formerly known as Benkern, Bacchus etc.)
Republic of Antica
Inquisitor

Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Ok, so, I think I might actually really come to this, or something. You may call it a Shirecon, but it's a Anticon in my heart!

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

So I'll be leaving in two days for London and probably won't have internet access while I'm there.

Are we set to meet at Blackfriars on Saturday night or no?
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Yup, I shall be wearing a top hat, With any luck I'll be the only guy in the pub or around the pub with a top hat on, if you see a person in a top hat, ask if it's spangle or josh :)

I will be with artz also, so that will be another clue...

Artz

Post by Artz »

Have we got a time to meet in blackfriars?

Also, though we can mainly organise the sunday pn saturday.. but spangle and I were thinking of going to the national british museum at some point on sunday. We can all meet back in blackfriars or something anyway.. but It'd be cool if we got a group of us going. Its free to get in, so all you'd need is an underground pass. We can always go to other places, if we have time.

Plus.. is there a final list of all the people definately coming?

Me, spangle, ryan, scott, ruth..? anyone else?

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Time: 7pm 3rd April 2010
Place: Blackfriars pub (not station.)
Who: Artz, Benkern, Ruth, Ryan, Scott and I

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

We were planning to go to the British Museum too, so that's definitely a possibility. Any idea what time on Sunday you'd want to meet at the museum (could also do it Saturday b4 going to blackfriars)?

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

I'll be there Friday night. Ryan, meet me in Blackfriars then?

Artz

Post by Artz »

We could meet up for a meal, or something before heading over to the pub at 7on saturday... and then go to the museum on sunday, after meeting back in the pub just after breakfast (can decide that while there possibly).. but if we keep blackfriars an overall meeting place, as a common ground no-one will get lost =P.

So.. I dnno.. perhaps whichever of us wanted to go out for a meal meets at x time at blackfriars, go and eat, come back to the pub for 7.. ect.. sleeps.. back at blackfriars for x time sunday for whoever wants to go to museum.. all head over there together, back to blackfriars, or just onto another attraction then back for sunday.. hmm.. I should check with spanglus what time we have to catch the train and be out of the hotel by on sunday..

Trust us lot to leave arrangements at pretty short notice ;)

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Scott: Care to change the venue to Cheshire Cheese? I'd prefer to try several different pubs whilst in the area rather than the same one repeatedly, and CC is only a short walk northwest of Blackfriars.

The British Museum also has a pub associated with it (Museum Tavern) which we could also go to before or after visiting the museum.

I was figuring that I'd eat at the pub. Although the wife wants to find an Ethiopian restaurant....

Scott of Hyperborea

Ryan: Fine. Cheshire Cheese (if I can find it) Friday @ 8.

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Artz and I have train tickets to london booked to set off from kettering at 2:23pm on the saturday and set off from london at 5:30pm on sunday

We can't checkin to the hotel until 3pm and have to check out before 11am

Also, can I please ask a big favour from people? :) Can you please see how many bottlecaps you can collect for me? :) I'm trying to make a bottlecap snake or two or a billion. :P

PS: this kind of bottlecap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_cork

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Scott: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ye_Olde_Cheshire_Cheese

From Blackfriars it's north on Farringdon St. and then west (left) onto Fleet. Literally only a couple of blocks away (less than 1/2 mile according to the map).

Josh: So what works for you on Sat/Sun? I'm assuming that Sat at 7PM @ Blackfriars is good - I'm pinning this down as a definite. We can plan then if we'd like to do the British Museum on Sunday or what-not. I have a lot of sights I'd like to hit while in the area (St. Paul's Cathedral, Greyfriars Garden, Old Bailey, Inner Temple Garden, London Bridge, etc, etc, etc). So basically there are plenty of options, and I'd be happy to have additional company seeing the sights for the day if you wanted to come along. But we can always plan that Sat night too.

I'll be out of contact by 3PM EST tomorrow (flying out red-eye at 5PM) and any internet after that is dubious. I'd offer my cell #, but I don't think it works overseas.

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

I think 7PM at blackfriars on saturday is definite, possibly the only definite part... We then have to stay there for at least an hour, as benkern is going to be late...
Nothing else is really definite

Your mobile phone should work overseas but cost a hell of a lot more is usually the case, and you have to add your nation code for it for people to ring/text it (as an american yours will be +1) but i've never really figured out nation codes :D :P

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

It might be a good idea if we have some mobile contacts?
I'll PM ruth, ryan, scott and benkern my mobile number

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I have returned from London (and apparently brought the rain with me). So I expect to get back into things this week.

All-in-all was a good trip and enjoyable meeting Josh, Rebecca, Ruth, and Scott.

Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Ryan, it was lovely to meet you and your wife (and everyone else!) this weekend!

We all heard the alarms go off as the two of you attempted to take the Tower for Shireroth and/or steal the Crown Jewels.

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

I sure hope someone took some pics :p

Ruth

Post by Ruth »

The power of our unified micronationalness shattered every camera in sight.

Scott of Hyperborea

All-in-all was a good trip and enjoyable meeting Josh, Rebecca, Ruth, and Scott.
You DID eventually meet up with Iain and Benkern outside the Tower, right?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Nope. We got out of the tour at 3PM and didn't see anyone waiting around for us (which we said not to do anyways) so we picked up the tube and headed up to Hampstead Heath.

I wasn't sure if there was a miscommunication when we parted or not, so I do apologize if there was one...

Scott of Hyperborea

Oh nooooooooo. I left at 3ish, but I know Benkern and Iain were standing outside the Tower exit waiting to meet you :(

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

We (Benkern, Iain, Ruth, Artz and I) waited outside the main entrance until 4:30pm... when we had to head off so Artz and I could catch our train back to kettering.
Did you go out of a different entrance from the one we came in at? we were all standing there with FNORD, papers, top hat, raven and all! (there is perhaps a possibility we were sitting on the bench next to the entrance at the time...)

We have many photos, one day you may get to see them. one day. maybe.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

No, we went out the same entrance. And I told Lucinda that I thought we hadn't communicated properly in that we'd be setting off for Hampstead. Apparently I was right... We were looking around as we left, and didn't spot you. Sorry again about that, I feel very badly about having made the lot of you wait around for us.

Artz

Post by Artz »

Ehh.. we had nothing else to do. It was mainly not having the chance to say bye :(... so...

*waves* byes!! *waves some more* Good seeing you!!! Have a safe flight!!!

... It has been said.

Return to “General Discussion”