What is Dungeons and Dragons?

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Jason Steffke

Expination

Post by Jason Steffke »

I can explain it.Dungeons and Dragons is probably the origion of most modern computer/video game-based RPGs.In the game, a number of players create characters. Some of the stats, like race, hair color, and weapons, are up to them, but other stats, such as base strength and agility, are moderatly random.There are a number of players (let's say 4) and one of them is a special player: the Dungeon Master. Think of the DM as the core of the game. I'll explain that. The world is set in an old-style swords and dragons type place. The players, playing through their characters, say what they want to do.For example, if the game starts in a moderatly large town, the player will say that his character will search for a pub. The DM will tell the character that he finds one (or that there are none). The character then then go inside, look around, have a drink, buy some supplies, or whatever, and the DM reports the results of these actions.Most of the game takes place in the minds of the players, but there are a number of reference books, maps, and explinations to help it from being overwhelming.Battles are like normal RPG battles, except there is a lot more freedom. Characters can take advantage of natural terrain to hide or have cover, they can cast spells at objects rather then people to see what will happen, they can use items in interesting ways, and so on.Picture a normal RPG, like Chrono Trigger. Instead of pushing buttons to move Chrono, you say where you want your character to go. Instead of doing only what the game allows you to do, you are allowed to do pretty much anything the DM will let you get away with.It's actually a great deal of fun, since you can develop your character and the game in almost infinite ways.

Bill3000

What is Dungeons and Dragons?

Post by Bill3000 »

I was curious about this for a long time, and I still don't get it.What is Dungeons and Dragons? I know it's an RPG, but it doesn't seem as familar as what I've normally seen in RPGs. What the heck is it!? How do you play it? Where can I get it? I just heard interesting stuff such as different classes, moves, spells, etc. Is it like EverQuest or a normal RPG or what? Bill DuschPresident of BGIMember of the Paladins

Ras Bitwoded Charles

Re:

Post by Ras Bitwoded Charles »

WARNING: The author of the following post is completely naive on all RPGs.I heard a lot of stuff about D&D being Satanic. Where did all that come from?Your completely ignorant friend,-Charles HH Ras Bitwoded Charles BeardPrime Minister of Q'attera-Macusiaa"The more laws, the less justice." -M. Tullius Cicero

Ryan

Re: Re:

Post by Ryan »

Dungeons = Satanic. Nuff said.Critics said the same thing about Diablo. Only difference is that D&D has been around since the 1970's.I have one of the original D&D games from 1983 that runs on my Aquarius. It still runs to this day. But it's actually a BASIC program. LOL.Anyhoo, D&D is THE original RPG which set the stage for everyone else. D&D is owned by TSR and Wizards of the Coast who also own Gamma World. The first post-apocalyptic RPG. Hance the origins of stuff like Fallout.Basically, you can trace all modern RPG's back to their roots somewhere along the lines in D&D.If you want to download a free D&D game, check out my website's gamez page. Stronghold RULEZ!http://www.geocities.com/hellrepublic/And NO, I am NOT satanic, just Gothic.... Ryan D. CarusoPresident-General of the Nautilus Free StateICQ # 73438757The Last Hellspawn

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

I wouldn't say its Satanic at all.I just use one word to describe it...HammerfallIt's essentially a game of high fantasy.Personally, I prefer Vampire: The Masquerade. Its more involving. Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Probably the same people who say that about the Harry Potter books...it's amazing how stupid some people can be.Oh...WarVoid, you probably didn't help your case by asking him to download it from the PRH site. "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time. " - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Edited by: Scott Siskind  at: 8/29/01 4:52:30 pm

Kaiser Metzler I

Post by Kaiser Metzler I »

It's called christianity.. and Fundies... Kaiser of the Republic of ShirerothE. Metzler "UEC""Death awaits everyone, it's just that it has less patience for some...""Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." "Life is to short not to be kinky"Don't ask, I didn't say any of that...except one.. guess which!

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

Just unfair labels dictated by people who don't understand. You'll find them everywhere. I've dealt with them for the better part of my life and I'm sure everyone else here has as well.But what I always find funny when people call D&D Satanic, is kind of like calling the band Hammerfall Satanic, and they sing cheesy songs about brave warriors fighting dragons for glory and justice with their swords of magic steel...yup, Satanic, eh? ;) Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

hmm...just to clear up any possible confusion from WarVoid's post related to Goth, I would like to point out that the true Gothic culture is not satanic at all. Rather, it has a very strong Christian precedent, and is particularly strong within the Catholic Church. And everyone should play Vampire: The Masquerade. It is soo much fun. :) Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Kaiser Metzler I

either that kinda goth.. or one of those type that are anti-social and see it as a way to be different and not be like everyone else.. when they are just putting themselves into a new group.. and trying to be like that. Kaiser of the Republic of ShirerothE. Metzler "UEC""Death awaits everyone, it's just that it has less patience for some...""Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." "Life is to short not to be kinky"Don't ask, I didn't say any of that...except one.. guess which!

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

Their supposed to be recognized. It's not simply a grab for individuality so much as it is more of a romantic movement.But at any rate, that isn't important. I just don't want people to get the idea that it has anything to do with satanism because I have friends who are goths and many of them are actually quite religious. Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

Maybe this thread should be moved Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Kaiser Metzler I

it works here... Kaiser of the Republic of ShirerothE. Metzler "UEC""Death awaits everyone, it's just that it has less patience for some...""Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity." "Life is to short not to be kinky"Don't ask, I didn't say any of that...except one.. guess which!

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

Jason, have you played Dungeons & Dragons?You might have said so but I probably missed it.I've played Vampire: The Masquerade, which has similiarities to Dungeons & Dragons, but does D&D operate in the same kind of improvisational theatric fashion? Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...Edited by: Stjepan Aracic at: 8/29/01 7:48:11 pm

Jason Steffke

Post by Jason Steffke »

I never actually said I played, but I figured it was implied by what I knew. Anyway, yes, I've played.It's NOT satanic at all! I mean... I guess if the players wanted it to be satanic, it would be, but otherwise it's nowhere close.And Stjepan, yes, that is exactly what it does. It seems the two games are quite similar. Jason SteffkeJas'Kur Ste'EthMember of the PaladinsRemember Jasonia!

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

(The previous question here sucked, so here is a better one)Is there a mythology behind Dungeons & Dragons?Vampire has a tremendous one which is very crucial to know when you improv and act through the scenes. Is it the same with D&D? Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...Edited by: Stjepan Aracic at: 8/29/01 9:38:27 pm

Jason Steffke

Post by Jason Steffke »

There is a vast mythology behind D&D... so much that probably anyone would be crazy to try to figure it out. It inflences the game as much as you want it to. Personally, it gives me a headache. Jason SteffkeJas'Kur Ste'EthMember of the PaladinsRemember Jasonia!

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

Ah, I love background mythologies. Working them into the stories to create as extremely nonlinear stories, which in the case of Vampire, generally become quite disturbing. :) Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

Is this something we could play over the Internet if we wanted? "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time. " - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

I doubt it.Probably highly dice driven if it is as similar to Vampire as it seems. Plus, if the similarities run that deep, it won't be as much fun without seeing people dress as their respective roles and act out the sequences. Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

There is a new version of D&D out that works over the net as an MMORPG. I haven't bought it though. Hell, just the core rules alone go for $60.00 at EB.Stjepan, i'm not implying that Goth is satanic. On the contrary, I fight to have it recognized as the opposite. It's simply that a LOT of people mistake it for being satanic, particularily people that don't know anything about it.My own grandmother mistook me for being satanic until I had her actually listen to Gothic lyrics and such....Oh, and the mythology behind D&D stems from many various sources, ranging from Camelot mythology to Norse mythology to Greek mythology to Asian mythology. If you become involved with it, the background and depth is simply stunning. Ryan D. CarusoPresident-General of the Nautilus Free StateICQ # 73438757The Last Hellspawn

Stjepan Aracic

Post by Stjepan Aracic »

I know you weren't implying it, but there was no reason to mention it either. There is no connection, so there was no reason for it to even appear in the post.It just would draw the wrong kind of attention. Do you understand? Who are you?Man condemned to shine a salvationthroughout the centuries...Why?Was the wine of the grailtoo sour for man to drink?The Carpenter, Carved his anchoron the dying souls of mankind.On the tomb of this unknown soldier,Lay the tools of the onewho for us has died...Tools of the carpenter...-Nightwish - The CarpenterWelcome to Dying...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I understand. Ryan D. CarusoPresident-General of the Nautilus Free StateICQ # 73438757The Last Hellspawn

Return to “General Discussion”