(GD)Pressing Microissues!

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

osmose1000

(GD)Pressing Microissues!

Post by osmose1000 »

In the 7 hours I have to waste away at a meager near-minimum wage job, the wonderful idea came to me - why not have five people from different micronations sit down and just debate? Well, a text debate would be boring and slow. So, why not have an audio debate? That's the basis for Pressing Microissues. We take me, and four other people, each from different micronations, and talk about different stuff. The client we will use is Ventrilo, and I was hoping to find someone who knows how to either get past their router or doesn't have one to host it. Next, I need people to represent their countries. I would be able to represent Shireroth, but being the host it might be good to get someone else from Shireroth to really "represent" us. We also need people from other countries, but I'm not going to go hunt for them until we have a host and I can snag a headset to wear, since I gave my monitor with a mic on top to my friend.Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Help? Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?Edited by: osmose1000 at: 6/2/05 20:32

hypatias mom

Re: (GD)Pressing Microissues!

Post by hypatias mom »

Terrific idea,Moose!

Taoiseach Taicardainre I

Post by Taoiseach Taicardainre I »

This sounds like a great idea! There are a smorgasboard of issues that could be discussed between nations... perhaps a moderator might be needed though . Taoiseach Taicardainre IThe Grand Commonwealth - Aerlig - MNN - Treesia - mncentre - EIFA - Lemuria

Emperador Augustin

Post by Emperador Augustin »

Moderator? More like a referee from the World Wrestling Federation.

Olorix

Post by Olorix »

Teamspeak is FAR better for such a thing, but otherwise it's a really good idea!

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Except that you have to pay to be a Teamspeak server, if I read their website correctly. Anywho, I'm getting a headset today, so someone start trying to be a server soon so we can test run the damn thing. Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Who cares about Ventrilo or Teamspeak? Just hook together a few recs, tees, netcats, oggencs and ogg123s (assuming either the sound card or the driver does stream mixing) and you'll have a perfectly well-working team chat system . On a LAN you could skip oggenc and replace ogg123 with play... Jag har glömt hur pjäserna stod!

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Oh, or of course you can replace oggenc and ogg123 with speexenc and speexdec. In fact, that's probably the smartest thing to do... Jag har glömt hur pjäserna stod!

Johanns V

Post by Johanns V »

The thing he wants to use is small and free though. Waz ist wunders hie geschehenDaz ein Magt ein Kint gebarHêre übr Engel ScharWas daz niht ein Wunder gar?-Walther von der Vogelweide

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

the average person cares only for free as in beer, and does not want to have to play with 5 meaningless acronyms

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I don't care about the average person, and the average person does not care about me - this way, both can be happy, and I can run the software that *I* want on *my* computer. Jag har glömt hur pjäserna stod!

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Free as in beer, yes. Not free. I've already violated its license in two ways: First I violated clause 4.1.7 by using netcat instead of the official client from Flagship Industries to check if the server accepts connections, then I violated clause 4.1.8 by setting up port forwarding for it on my NAT router. The latter clause would have made hosting a Ventrilo server practically impossible for me if I had followed it. These are, of course, silly and small infractions, but nonetheless they are violations of the license. Free software, the real thing, does not limit what you are allowed to do with it. My plan is to let Moose use my box as a host for this thing *temporarily*... then... hm... I could set up Asterisk for H.323, which you could then use with NetMeeting... *plots*.. assuming you need Asterisk at all... gah... H.323 is too big Jag har glömt hur pjäserna stod!Edited by: Ari Rahikkala at: 6/3/05 16:19

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

then why advise about what the average person should run?if you do not care about them, and you make no thought as to what they can handle, then your advice is meaningless.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I don't know. Perhaps you should ask someone who does advice people about what kind of software they should run, i.e. someone who isn't me? Jag har glömt hur pjäserna stod!

Olorix

Post by Olorix »

That's not true, because Antica frequently uses (or at least, used to use, sometimes we use it now but infrequently) teamspeak, with Delphi hosting the server as I understand it.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Quote:Just hook together a few recs, tees, netcats, oggencs and ogg123s (assuming either the sound card or the driver does stream mixing) and you'll have a perfectly well-working team chat system . On a LAN you could skip oggenc and replace ogg123 with play... //gets crushed under a large pile of technical terms. And who would have thought that my fate, it would conjure this twist in the road on which I have wandered?Each vision and dream now completely dismembered, to give one's whole life and find nothing's remembered...And what good is a life that leaves nothing behind? Not a thought or a dream that might echo in time

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

I was under the impression from reading the Teamspeak website that, unless you pay them license fees, you are not allowed to run a server. Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?

Olorix

Post by Olorix »

Weird. So aren't there downloadable server copies of the program on the site ?

Delphi

Post by Delphi »

Scroll down on this page to "non-profit". That'd be us. I haven't violated any laws, and have been using it for free. The program is awesome. Antica's been voice-chatting for quite some time, so don't think it's all your idea.

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Since you're never online and not "brb", Delphi, would you like to participate in the first debate? And I'd like to get Rakesh as well. Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?

Return to “General Discussion”