Joining Shireroth (Hopefully...Possibly)

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Timothy Nehen

Joining Shireroth (Hopefully...Possibly)

Post by Timothy Nehen »

I have long admired this most interesting nation, and I am pleased to say that I have started the process of promoting a Personal Bill in the Conclave of the Most Serene Empire of Ascalon which would permit me to take Shirerothian citizenship in addition to my Ascalonian citizenship. With any luck, in the not-to-distant future I'll be able to join you guys as a citizen of Shireroth.Timothy Nehen PS: If Mr. Devious wouldn't mind using his Prime Ministerial influence to help the Bill through, I'd be much obliged.

Zirandorthel

Re: Joining Shireroth (Hopefully...Possibly)

Post by Zirandorthel »

Good gracious, it's the Archbishop!Welcome, (hopefully...possibly...maybe) to Shireroth, from the Treesian-Rothian infidel who received honorary citizenship at one time in Ascalon. ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Scott Alexander

Post by Scott Alexander »

*bops Eoin on the head* Timothy's not the Archbishop, that's his brother.That's great. I was wondering what had happened with you and getting citizenship here. I'll put in a good word with...is there anyone in particular in Ascalon who I should be trying to convince?

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Owww...Alright then, it's safe to ask. Was his "brother" the one who was rabidly against the TUC when we were treating it like a serious institution? ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Scott Alexander

No, that was Eric Fenton the crazy guy, who has now been removed from Ascalon and I believe convicted of treason. Archbishop Nehen was the friendly one who welcomed us in and let us use his cathedral, and who also IIRC gave some very nice sermons.

Timothy Nehen

Post by Timothy Nehen »

Just for the record, I'm the younger, fun Nehen. And Eric Fenton is crazy. Scott, there isn't anyone in particular for you to try to convince. I'm not an expert on the procedure of the Conclave, but I understand that my Bill's fate will rest in the hands of the Private Bills Committees of both Houses. They can totally kill the Bill if they decide that the case is "Not Proven". If they decide that the Bill should proceed, then there isn't much to worry about since the parliamentary stages of a Personal Bill are generally formalities. Theoretically, any Member of the Assembly or Peer can force a debate and division on any of the parliamentary stages, but that would be really, really unusual. I think the biggest obstacle my Bill will face will be time. These kinds of Bills are always the last thing to be given space on the legislative calendar. My lawyer has advised me that I shouldn't really anticipate getting the Royal Assent for my Bill until early next year. But it will all be worth it! Timothy NehenThe fun Nehen!

Scott Alexander

Well, just feel free to come here and post and participate in the discussions until you get your citizenship. If you've been around enough we can waive the probation period - no use making you sit through bureaucratic hassles on BOTH ends.And since it's never too early to recruit people - JOIN HYPERBOREA!!!

Kaiser Erik

Post by Kaiser Erik »

And we thought the Landsraad was slow... than again.. we don't tend to have THAT many bills...Welcome to Shireroth anyways! We could always perhaps make you an honorary cit... Kaiser Erik of Shireroth.Duke of BrookshireNot dead yet...

Timothy Nehen

Post by Timothy Nehen »

I think the Conclave's delay is due to the fact that it generally handles quite a few Bills (for instance, in this year alone, 21 Acts have been passed so far) and the fact that there is a very strong tradition of debate in both Houses. While this can lead to the enactment of better quality legislation, it can also slow things down quite a bit. As for honorary citizenship, I'd be flattered, but I suspect that might come under the jurisdiction of the Foreign Honors Act 2003. I'll have to consult with my lawyer in Ascalon though...Timothy Nehen

Alean of Dlithail

Post by Alean of Dlithail »

*puts on reading glasses*Hmm...it seems that pursuant to the Hawley-Smoot Tariff of 1967, a citizen of Ascalon CAN receive a foreign citizenship as an honor, but only if he is a single citizen filing jointly, or has a Special Permit from the Conclave issued on or before May 23, 1983, unless he is under investigation for one or more criminal offenses of class "C" or higher, in which case it requires a special writ of quidquid in latinum dicitur simul rei legis videtur from a member of the Privy Council who has served for at least two terms and was born under a water sign, unless the number of letters in the applicant's last name is prime, in which case a notice of intent must be registered with the Department of Redundancy Department on or before October 8 of the relevant year, as the applicant is otherwise sentenceable to death by being beaten over the head with a haddock. However, this law only does not apply during states of emergency, wartime, periods of economic growth over 5% for two consecutive quarters, the first two weeks of February (the first six weeks if the groundhog fails to see its shadow) or days whose name ends with the letter "y".Alean de LlacheuSagart of Dlithail, Treesian God of Attorneys“As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not important that you understand what I’m doing or why you’re paying me so much money. What’s important is that you continue to do so.” - Hunter S. Thompson's Samoan Attorney Edited by: Alean of Dlithail at: 11/6/03 7:22 pm

Timothy Nehen

Post by Timothy Nehen »

Thankfully, getting a foreign honor approved isn't as hard as all that. All I would have to do is present a Petition to the Emperor in Council. I've just been informed, by the way, that the scrutiny of the petitions for leave to bring in Private Bills will start on Saturday. After that is out of the way, I should have a better idea of how long the Bill will take to finish its appointed course. Timothy Nehen

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Ah, the sagarti of Dlithail, always bringing humour, comedy and, of course, horrifically expensive legal representation to our doorstep for...oh...almost two years now. ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Kaiser Erik

Post by Kaiser Erik »

Well, I'll speak to the Kaiseress about it. Unless she sees this before I get to her... Kaiser Erik of Shireroth.Duke of BrookshireNot dead yet...

Timothy Nehen

Post by Timothy Nehen »

I wouldn't even bother discussing honorary citizenship with the Kaiseress, if I were you, Your Majesty. I spoke with Ascalon's Foreign Minister (he's in charge of advising the Emperor on whether or not to approve a foreign honor) and he said that it's very, very unlikely that he would advise His Majesty to approve honorary citizenship for me. I think it's best if I simply wait and see how the personal Bill goes in the Conclave. It's not as quick, but it will ruffle less feathers in the long run.Timothy Nehen

Kaiser Erik

Post by Kaiser Erik »

You do realize. Other nations can't tell us who we do, and don't give honorary citizenship too.. (Sorry, nationalistic ego moment!) Kaiser Erik of Shireroth.Duke of BrookshireNot dead yet...

Scott Alexander

We could invent a new status..."Not a citizen or even an honorary citizen but just a normal personal totally unrelated to us who has all the rights of a citizen and can do whatever they do". That would probably confuse the Ascalonese enough to let Timothy get his citizenship here before they can figure it out. Edited by: Scott Siskind  at: 11/8/03 9:30 am

Zirandorthel

Post by Zirandorthel »

Might be a little bit cumbersome to refer to him as that every time, wouldn't it? ZirandorthelThe Golden DarknessNiirus Tinenetuwar"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."-Stephen Braveheart

Timothy Nehen

Post by Timothy Nehen »

True, Ascalon cannot tell Shireroth who to give or not give honorary citizenship to, but Ascalon can tell me whether or not I can accept that honorary citizenship! If I were to accept the honorary citizenship without complying with Ascalonian law, I would be in very, very hot water over there and I don't want that at all. Timothy Nehen

Mari Greenwood

Post by Mari Greenwood »

Welcome whatever your status is.

Kaiser Erik

Post by Kaiser Erik »

And people thought we were tough on citizenship... But at least we have ministers.. and a system to expidite these matters.. Kaiser Erik of Shireroth.Duke of BrookshireNot dead yet...

Timothy Nehen

Post by Timothy Nehen »

Well, Ascalon has ministers too. In fact, Mattlore Devious is one of them. I don't think that's the problem. The issue here is that dual citizenship is absolutely forbidden in Ascalon, the only exceptions being people who were already dual citizens before the Dual Citizenship (Prohibition of) Act was passed. Therefore, in order to become a citizen of Shireroth (and not fall afoul of the law in Ascalon) I need a Private Bill to exempt me from that Act. What I am asking for is rather unpredecented and I really don't think it's possible to expedite something this novel. Chances are, this will be the only time a Bill like this is ever needed. Timothy Nehen

Kaiser Erik

Post by Kaiser Erik »

ahhh.... We just have a Tri-Cit law. No more than 3.. with NOOOOO exceptions.. Kaiser Erik of Shireroth.Duke of BrookshireNot dead yet...

Scott Alexander

All right, Timothy, I'm pretty sure you're still around here; whatever happened to this?

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

AS Harvey would say, "Stars..."People really like this place huh? He isn't the first to politicly battle his own country to join us... I salute you and your tenacity!*salutes*BTW, Names Greg. I'm the local military leader. Join!Superliminial attack... hehe...Edit: still calling him Jason... *laughs* Edited by: Gman Russell at: 2/6/04 9:14 pm

Return to “General Discussion”