Setting Shirecon Dates

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Ari Rahikkala

Re: Setting Shirecon Dates

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

That's not being spiteful, Corey. That's making an extraordinary effort. I commend you for planning to perhaps do it.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Santelran Rottsaa

Post by Santelran Rottsaa »

:(
Libido-powered perversion, coming to your home at the speed of light.

The longer that the journey takes, the further down the road

"Well, as the saying goes with D&D, give players a fish, and they'll use it to club someone down. Teach a player to fish, and you'll have them showing up next session with a copy of The Complete Fisherman, trying to dual-wield vorpal fishing poles."

Artz

Post by Artz »

Is scott organising it, or is he just trying to get the ball rolling with this post, I wonder?

We could get a definate date, based on whats been booked.. then hope people turn up =P.. there will be at least 3/4 people that way.. with the two-day-spread idea spangle mentioned earlier, can make sure that everyone has a wide range of times they can appear at the scene.. Blackfriars like the Demember Meet?

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

It looks as if I might be able to come, as long as I live poor the coming months and nothindg bad happens me!

Mamma is excited over this and has brought up the idea that I should try and get people share a room at a hostel :p

The Swedish Church has a four-bed room along Picadilly, she says, for 200 pounds for two nights.

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Blackfriars seems like an obvious place to meet, both because of the Babkhan connection and because everyone who attended last time will know where it is. The only thing is that I vaguely remember hearing about a lot of Tube trouble and closures around there. Can any Londoners confirm or disconfirm that? I'd like somewhere as easy as possible for the foreigners to find, which will probably mean next to a working tube station.

If we do go to Blackfriars, there's a very good youth hostel one street down or so. I can't remember exactly what they charged, but it was something like 25 pounds a night for a dorm style setup. If we choose Blackfriars, I will look them up and see if I can reserve like a whole dorm or something for the Shirerithians.

I'm prepared to donate a very small amount (around 25 pounds or so) to the Shirerithian Welfare Fund. If I get get a few more similar donations, we might be able to pay for the accomodations (but not travel or food or elsewhat) for indigent Shirerithians.

If I can know for sure whether we're doing Blackfriars, and how many people are going to be wanting cheap student dorm style accomodation, I can try to make a reservation at the hostel early.

Björn Ironfist

Post by Björn Ironfist »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:Blackfriars seems like an obvious place to meet, both because of the Babkhan connection and because everyone who attended last time will know where it is. The only thing is that I vaguely remember hearing about a lot of Tube trouble and closures around there. Can any Londoners confirm or disconfirm that? I'd like somewhere as easy as possible for the foreigners to find, which will probably mean next to a working tube station.

If we do go to Blackfriars, there's a very good youth hostel one street down or so. I can't remember exactly what they charged, but it was something like 25 pounds a night for a dorm style setup. If we choose Blackfriars, I will look them up and see if I can reserve like a whole dorm or something for the Shirerithians.

I'm prepared to donate a very small amount (around 25 pounds or so) to the Shirerithian Welfare Fund. If I get get a few more similar donations, we might be able to pay for the accomodations (but not travel or food or elsewhat) for indigent Shirerithians.

If I can know for sure whether we're doing Blackfriars, and how many people are going to be wanting cheap student dorm style accomodation, I can try to make a reservation at the hostel early.
With the dates listed (2 April - 4 April), I will be unable to attend. I am, however, willing to donate to this fund to help those who are able to attend. With the condition that they enjoy a few pints in my honour. :)
Björn Ironfist
Lord Warden to the Outland (Stormark)
Stormark's Rep. to the SC

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Blackfriars tube station is closed for around 3 years last I heard.

I'm unsure if I can donate, but shall update when I get more info on if I can.

Scott of Hyperborea

Anyone want to suggest an alternate meeting place close to a reputable hostel? Or would we rather keep Blackfriars and trust to Ifni that we'll all be able to find it?

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

We're micronationalists. It's not like we're not used to maps.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Well it seems we have saturday afternoon/evening and sunday morning/afternoon.

Saturday will probably be blackfriars, for tradition's sake

Sunday? that's a question, one which scott is annoyingly not even contemplating in #micronations, instead nagging bill about conlangs he doesn't seem to want to make and corey about nations he is leaving, so here is a short list i made by looking on google maps and scrolling around for things near blackfriars sorta.

British museum
London eye
London Aquarium
Parliament
Big Ben
Downing Street
Boat ride
Buckingham palace
Museum of London
Tower bridge
The Design Museum
Tower of London
HMS Belfast
The Tate British
Imperial War Museum
London IMAX Cinema
London Canal Museum
The British Library
London Zoo
Boat Ride
The Old Bailey
St Paul's Cathedral
Shakespeare's Globe
Bramah tea and coffee museum
National film Theatre

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

Now that the dates are confirmed for April I can officially say I have absolutely no way to make either. If it had been summer.. there was a chance.. slim.. but a chance.

Artz

Post by Artz »

Hmm..

British museum - Free to enter, I'd say go for it! Doesn't need pre-booking, bag-search on the way in, fairly short queues
http://www.britishmuseum.org/default.aspx

London Eye - Needs pree-booking unless you don't mind standing in queues for hours, £17.88 for anyone over 16
http://www.londoneye.com/TicketsAndPrices/

London Aquarium - £17.50 for an adult, there were fair queues when I saw last. Right next to the London Eye
http://www.sealife.co.uk/london#

Tower of London - £17.00 for an adult, very little queue, tickets must be bought at a ticket desk that wasn't by the tower (when I went there, at least).. I think that was a tubestation away.. unsure
http://www.hrp.org.uk/toweroflondon/

The Tate Gallery - Content can vary, free entry to most floors, it has a cafe (thats quite expensive).. and if I remember rightly, it shurts quite early and is a fair distance from anything else. A fair walk down the river.
http://www.tate.org.uk/

London Zoo - A long way away from anything, if I remember rightly. But there is a tube station and a park nearby. £14.80 without a donation for an adult.. takes a large amount of a day. Frequent buses and trains to it.
http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo/

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Calculated my finances and I believe I can pledge £75 to the impoverished shirerothians fund!

with scott's £25, that brings it to £100.

I might well be able to pledge more in future

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

We just booked a B&B near Knightsbridge this morning. So that's where we'll be staying the entire week. It should be relatively convenient to all of the above events.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

Well, I've booked the hotel for Artz and I

Here's the list of attendants as i see it currently:

99%: Scott, Ryan, Benkern, Iain (for sunday), Spangle, Artz
80%: Ari
70%: Malliki
50%: Iain (for sturday night)
30%: Harvey
Need to ask: Ardy, Eoin, Ruth, Bjorn

Maksym Hadjimehmetov

Post by Maksym Hadjimehmetov »

Sadly I can't be there but I can recommend the Old Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street as an incredible pub for anyone who doesn't know London that well. I'd contribute to the impoverished Shirereithans' fund myself as well, but the Student Loans Company aren't forthcoming enough for me to be that lenient with the old shillings these days.

Blackfriars tube is closed until 2011 for renovations, so the closest I guess would be Monument, which isn't too far for an inebriated toddle and has plenty of bins to throw up in on the way for our Babkhan friends.
That said, have a great time- I shall be with you in spirit, probably literally as I'll be drowning myself in post-exam sorrow down in deepest darkest Devon. :knife

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Mmm, yes, I've had several recommendations now for Cheshire Cheese. It's one of the top to-do's on our list.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Psst. It's overrated. ;)

Daniel Farewell

Post by Daniel Farewell »

Sadly I will probably have to pay a tax-return instead of going to the UK... :(

Dr Bjorn Olsen

Post by Dr Bjorn Olsen »

This thread almost convinced me to get the passprt out and head south of the border! Shame on you all!!!

Scott of Hyperborea

Mmkay, ticket booked.

Ari, I'm trying to arrange a Less Wrong meetup for that Sunday; I'm pretty sure taw and Roko and a couple of others live in London and meet up fairly frequently. If everything goes better than expected, we might even test my prototype Dungeons and Discourse system. Are you in?

Icebreaker

Post by Icebreaker »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:If everything goes better than expected, we might even test my prototype Dungeons and Discourse system.
NORMALLY I WOULD NOT BE SO BLUNT, BUT HOLY SHIT: http://ho.fi/5N

Scott of Hyperborea

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

But doesn't that rather prove the charge? Which is to say I think they protest rather too much...

phineas elastopon

Post by phineas elastopon »

Scott of Hyperborea wrote:http://ho.fi/5O
http://ho.fi/5P
Phineas Elastopon (formerly known as Benkern, Bacchus etc.)
Republic of Antica
Inquisitor

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

1. Which site are you going to? NYC, hopefully
2. Is either time period absolutely impossible for you to make? Not sure
3. If both are okay, which would be MORE convenient? New York, since it would be nigh-on-impossible to have a passport in time to make the London one
4. Are there any specific dates or weekends that you're unavailable within those time periods? Not sure
5. If you live within commuting distance of one of the sites, would you be able/willing to put impoverished foreign Shirerithians up in your house? N/A

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

Pssst! the real party is in Chicago 26th to 29th January.

CJ Miller

Post by CJ Miller »

2011 or?

dr-spangle

Post by dr-spangle »

CJMiller: he means March, make sure you turn up :)

Well, what time are we meeting in blackfriars on saturday april 3rd?

shall we go for 7pm or so?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Is it confirmed that it will be Saturday at Blackfriars? That works for me.

I assume, by blackfriars, you mean the train station?

Are we going to be visiting some monument/museum whilst in the area, or is it purely socializing? Or as my wife calls it, "shop talk". :p

Return to “General Discussion”